Choose style:

Author Topic: Resize partition - Dual boot with windows 10 and PM6 (SOLVED)  (Read 4856 times)

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM6
Resize partition - Dual boot with windows 10 and PM6 (SOLVED)
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:06:17 pm »
Hello,

I installed PM6 with dual boot w ith Win 10.  I clean up Windows a bit and freed up 10G of additional "unallocated" space on my HD. How do I increase the size of PM6's partition?  I think I need to boot using the PM6 installation USB then resize the partitions but I am not sure of the steps.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:03:36 am by madentaiwn »
New to the linux world

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Resize partition - Dual boot with windows 10 and PM6
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:45:04 pm »
You only want to use the installation medium if you want to reinstall Peppermint.  Otherwise, I'd suggest either using Windows' partition editor or GParted.  Personally, I recommend GParted.  GParted is available in the repositories, but it can't modify partitions that are in use by the system.  However, there is also a GParted Live CD that you can download and use:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Now, before I can advise you further, I need to know where the partitioned space is on your HD.  Is it before or after the Peppermint partition?  In fact, please copy and paste this into the terminal, hit "Enter" and post the output:

Code: [Select]
lsblk

Depending on where the unallocated space is, the method for increasing Peppermint's partition will vary.  But, either way, it's not a difficult process.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:58:34 am »
Hi madentaiwn,

AndyInMokum has already posted a nice explanation of how to use the partition editing tool GParted in this thread (follow the link in the first posting). If you have trouble understanding it, ask back here before doing any partition editing.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:44:53 pm »

Now, before I can advise you further, I need to know where the partitioned space is on your HD.  Is it before or after the Peppermint partition?  In fact, please copy and paste this into the terminal, hit "Enter" and post the output:

lsblk

Depending on where the unallocated space is, the method for increasing Peppermint's partition will vary.  But, either way, it's not a difficult process.

Here is the output from that.

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0  14.7G  0 part
├─sda2   8:2    0 430.6G  0 part
├─sda3   8:3    0     1K  0 part
├─sda5   8:5    0   7.7G  0 part /
└─sda6   8:6    0   2.1G  0 part [SWAP]
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom

i know sda1 is the windows recovery partition and sda2 is Windows.  Sda5 is PM6.  No idea what sda3 is but it is only 1k so I guess I won't worry about it?  Maybe it is the logical drive that created sda 5&6? 

Here is an screenshot of gparted

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:27:34 pm by AndyInMokum, Reason: Encapsulating output with [code] »
New to the linux world

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:48:26 pm »
Hi madentaiwn,

AndyInMokum has already posted a nice explanation of how to use the partition editing tool GParted in this thread (follow the link in the first posting). If you have trouble understanding it, ask back here before doing any partition editing.

Regards,

-- Slim

Thanks for that and it was a great intro video on how to create partitions.  I am not sure if it is the same thing to increase an existing partition.  I use gparted and left click on the partition I want to "resize" but couldn't increase it from the current max.  My guess is that I might need to delete swap then resize it?   I rather make sure because I screw something up.
New to the linux world

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:34:21 pm »
Logical partitions exist within a primary partition.  /sda3 is your primary partition that contains /sda5 and /sda6.

What you're going to have to do is move /sda3 and /sda5 forward on the disk so that they're right against /sda2 and the unallocated part is after /sda5 but before /sda6.  GParted's Live CD can do this.  It will take a while, but there's a way on there to move the partitions.  Once you've moved them forward, you can then use GParted to extend /sda5 so that it fills up the unallocated space.  You may even be able to just grab and extend /sda5 forward into the unallocated space, but I don't remember.  It's been a while since I last used GParted to move partitions.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:36:14 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 06:25:47 am »
yep, resize sda3 first .. you can't make the logical partitions that are contained in sda3 larger than sda3, so you need to increase the size of the extended partition (sda3) first .. then you'll have some spare room inside the extended partition to expand sda5.

did that make sense ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 10:15:56 am »
Think I got it. Since the unallocated space is next to sda3, I can resize sda3 without moving any partitions right?  After that is done, then I can increase the size of sda5?
New to the linux world

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 11:17:00 am »
That should work.  If I remember correctly, once you increase the size of /sda3, you'll then be able to grab an arrow and "drag" the forward point of /sda5 into that space, thereby expanding it.  Then you just have to wait for GParted to finish.   8)

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 07:01:45 pm »
Seems to be a bit of a issue.  I right click on sda3 but the "Resize/move" option is grayout and I can't select it.   That option is available on sda 5 but I can make it any bigger or move it.  Any other ideas?
New to the linux world

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 07:38:40 pm »
Are you running GParted within Peppermint or using the GParted Live CD?  If you're trying to do it within Peppermint, you can't.  GParted can't move or resize partitions that are mounted, and /sda3 and /sda5 are mounted and in use by the system.

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 07:59:31 pm »
Are you running GParted within Peppermint or using the GParted Live CD?  If you're trying to do it within Peppermint, you can't.  GParted can't move or resize partitions that are mounted, and /sda3 and /sda5 are mounted and in use by the system.

ahh.. that's my problem.  Is Gparted installed in the PM6 USB install drive?   Or should I create a separate bootable USB to run gparted?
New to the linux world

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 08:54:03 pm »
Yes, GParted comes with the Peppermint Live CD. All you have to do is boot up your Live USB and run GParted from the menu.

I don't know why, but it's uninstalled during installation.  That's the way Ubuntu is too.   ???

Offline madentaiwn

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Resize partition - Dual boot with windows 10 and PM6 (SOLVED)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 06:06:50 am »
Thanks Scifidude79,

I was able to get this done by booting to the PM6 install USB.  I had to delete the swap partition first but then I was able to increase sda3, resize sda5, then put the swap back.  Booted to PM6 without any issue.  Gparted warned that it might not boot correctly but I didn't have that issue at all.  (thankfully)

Appreciate the help everyone.
New to the linux world

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Resize partition - Dual boot with windows 10 and PM6 (SOLVED)
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 06:56:49 am »
Great stuff .. but just to be sure your system is aware of the new swap partition (it might not be if you had to delete/recereate it) can you post the output from:
free -m
and
sudo blkid
and the contents of
gedit /etc/fstab
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec