Choose style:

Author Topic: Confused whether to install 64 bit or not  (Read 4882 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Confused whether to install 64 bit or not
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 01:35:28 pm »
Woah, that's too much! it costs even more than original Windows DVDs. :O Perhaps you can search for its Debian package.

If you mean the $1799 software, I wish I could say it's even the most expensive.  3DS Max and Maya cost $3699 for a perpetual license, or $123/month for an annual license.  ($1,470 per year)  Why do you think movie and TV special effects cost so much?  Though, a lot of effects houses these days use Lightwave, which is cheaper at *only* $995, though it's about $500 more when it's first released.  I actually have a older version of Lightwave, but I didn't pay anywhere near that much because I got it on Ebay.  Though, it won't run in Linux with Wine because it uses a USB hardware lock and Wine has no USB support.  I've even compiled Wine from source with the patch and it's no joy.  So, I use Blender now.

On the subject of prices, crap like Photoshop isn't exactly cheap either.  AfterEffects is even worse.  And, unfortunately, there's no open source replacement (or even a less expensive one) for what AE does.  There is a package called Blackmagic Fusion that is similar and was released for free a while back, but they didn't release the Linux version (there is one) for free, they only did for Windows.  ::)  Their next Beta is Windows and Mac only.  I need to see if Fusion 7 works with Wine.

There are no "Debian packages" for these things, they're commercial software.  There's no free version other than a free trial.  Modo, when you buy it for Linux (or use the trial) comes in a shell script (.sh) that can be easily be installed using any Linux distribution.

At one point, Blender was commercial software too.  It was an in-house program written by a European effects company, who later sold it to the masses.  After the company went under and Blender went away, in a very rare move, a group of Blender users banded together to form The Blender Foundation and pooled their money to buy the rights to Blender so that they could continue to develop it and release it for free.  That's the only reason Blender is even available for free.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:39:34 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 02:07:27 pm »
And considering how movies with good visual effects gross in hundreds of millions (sometimes billions) now a days, I don't think those prices for CGI software is coming down any time soon.

I didn't know that Adobe after effects was crap from CGI perspective . We used it to create a Farewell video for some seniors. Earlier, people used Microsoft movie maker and other simple applications. Now I've seen AE being used to create wedding videos as well.

I have noticed Blender on the software center. I am gonna give it a try. Although FreeCAD does it too but I just want to see if Blender can allow me to draw 3D diagrams of buildings with proper scaling. CAD apps are just too simple.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 02:16:11 pm »
I don't like anything Adobe, so it's all crap to me.  I think that company sucks and their more recent anti-Linux views aren't exactly warming me to them lately.  They stopped developing their POS Flash plugin for Linux and stopped releasing the Adobe Reader, both for unclear reasons.

If you're going to try Blender, I'd suggest not going with the extremely outdated version in the repositories.  You can download the latest version and use it from their website:

http://www.blender.org/

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 10:05:01 pm »
html5 will take over flash one day :) And there are a lot of PDF readers for Linux which are good enough for everyday use.

Thank you. blender looks professional. But excellent. I will give it a try. :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 10:29:33 pm »
html5 will take over flash one day :) And there are a lot of PDF readers for Linux which are good enough for everyday use.

I'm waiting for that day.  (the HTML5 thing)  Meanwhile, a whole lot of sites still use those horrid Flash videos.

It's not that I like Adobe Reader or anything, (hell, I used to use Evince even in Windows) it's the sudden anti-Linux stance that the company has taken that I don't like.  After years of developing some of its software for Linux, they stopped suddenly.  Why, I wonder?  it makes no sense to me.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 01:20:06 am »
Same with Foxit Reader. it's a very well featured yet simple PDF Reader. I was using it on Windows as well as Lubuntu. After I installed Peppermint, I couldn't find it no more on the official Foxit site. Turned out, they've discontinued it. After a lot of google-searching, I finally found a link to the official Debian version of Foxit. Although foxit has been discontinued and is not on their website anymore, they still have it on their official download ftp site. I use foxit now. However, evince is good as well but I'm kinda like hooked on to foxit. :D

And yeah, it doesn't make sense why they suddenly discontinue app development for linux. Sucks :/

When I was on Facebook, I used to play some Facebook games on Windows which made use of Unity web player. I wonder Unity works on Linux. because if it does, then the days of Flash gaming are over! Unity provides much better graphics and smoothness compared to Flash.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 02:54:33 am »
Actually, you can still get Foxit from their site, it's just version 1 and the current version is 7.  But, it's still on there.  However, Adobe completely removed the download for their reader.  It's one thing to stop developing it, it's another to completely remove it like it never existed.

As for Unity, check out this discussion from a month ago:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2345.0.html

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 04:55:49 am »
Foxit Reader for LINUX is still on their official site! but a few weeks ago when I checked, it wasn't there. Perhaps they added this one recently. Besides, they used to have separate installers for debian, fedora etc. now they have put an archive file. Users will have to manually extract it and create desktop/menu shortcuts. I have the Debian version from a link I got in a blog. It automatically creates menu shortcuts like any regular *.deb installer :)

It's good that Unity has finally arrived on Linux. I used to play counter strike online on Facebook years ago and that was with unity web player on windows. Unity is the future of online web-browser based gaming :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 11:24:50 am »
It looks like they took it down and then put it back up because it says it was added on 09/15/15.  However, it was there several months ago when I checked.  They probably had it down temporarily when they were changing from the separate installers to the archive version.   8)

Yes, Unity support for Linux is very exciting news.   ;D

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 12:19:22 pm »
Yeah it wasn't there. But the Debian package is still available on their official mirror, like I said.

http://cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/pub/foxit/reader/desktop/linux/1.x/1.1/enu/FoxitReader_1.1.0_i386.deb

Unfortunately they have taken it down from their website and replaced it with a universal linux package.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 12:45:15 pm »
There's nothing wrong with universal Linux packages.  They're better than targeted packages, in my opinion. (less to maintain and no compatibility issues) Until recently, you could only get GOG games in .deb packages or the drop in a folder and run version, there were no packages for installation in other package management systems.  However, they recently switched to shell scripts that can be installed on any Linux system.  That's great for people not running Debian-based distros.   8)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 01:14:40 pm »
Shell script is great as well. I'm assuming it's a *.sh file which opens up the terminal and starts to download and install the required application. I had installed an app on my previous Peppermint installation that way. Its cool.

I have no problem with the archived packages because the required application can be run from the folder itself and can also be manually configured to appear on the menu but I don't know why it feels a little incomplete to me. Having said that, I had installed SeaMonkey web browser from a repository but it was an outdated version. But the archived package of SeaMonkey from their official version was updated and the browser could be run from the extracted folder itself and after the first run, it appears on the local/share/applications folder. But I'm always very cautious and careful about choosing my browser and installing them correctly. So I resorted to the outdated version

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 01:32:45 pm »
Yeah, you just open a terminal where the shell script is located.  Then you make it exectuable:

Code: [Select]
chmod +x nameofscript.sh

Then you install it like this:

Code: [Select]
./nameofscript.sh

It's really simple.  I have several GOG games installed this way.

Downloading, dropping into a folder and then creating a .desktop file for the menu entry is exactly the way I run Blender, since the current version is 2.76-RC2 and the version in the repository is 2.69.  ::)  They've added a lot of features since 2.69 that I'd be missing out on using that version.  That's one thing I hate about Ubuntu's repositories, some packages get "frozen" when the OS is in alpha and are never updated through the life of it, even if the life is 5 years.  But, fortunately, the folks at Blender make it simple to get the latest version.   8)

Unfortunately, running Seamonkey that way is a crap shoot.  If I remember correctly, it doesn't work properly, so you're better off with the repository version, even if it is a bit outdated.  That's one instance where an installer would be nice.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:35:13 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 07:24:47 am »
Exactomundo! It would have been great if all Linux applications came with a shell script instead of a tarball archive. It would have been a little bit easy on beginners. When I first started using Linux as a full time user (with Lubuntu 13.10), I had a tough time googling how to install applications on Linux. Because I had a DVD from a computer magazine which had a lot of Linux apps in tarball archives. Lubuntu software center didn't work because I didn't know that I was supposed to update my repositories after a fresh installation.

Is it possible to install Ubuntu software center on Peppermint? Because I think USC has more apps than Peppermint software manager (maybe some more good apps)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 07:56:34 am »
Hi sk_sarma, Peppermint already has access to everything that's in Ubuntu's repos.  There were paid for apps available in the Ubuntu Software Center.  However after the recent debacle over poor maintenance of these apps and even poorer communications with their developers.  Ubuntu is quietly letting their Software Center die.  Even Ubuntu Mate have dropped it.  There's absolutely no advantage to using the Ubuntu Software Center.  All it will do is take up valuable disk space and use up your memory.  Check out this article from PC World: Canonical is letting the Ubuntu Software Center wither and die.  It says it all  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.