Choose style:

Author Topic: Confused whether to install 64 bit or not  (Read 4878 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Confused whether to install 64 bit or not
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:33:30 am »
hi guys,

So I upgraded my RAM to 2 GB yesterday and I was making plans to replace my existing 32 bit install of Peppermint with its 64 bit Version. But as I was going to download it, I went through the peppermint site and saw some points like these :

" 64 bit is generally faster, but things such as Adobe Flash may suffer."

" Most desktop users will not likely see any drastic performance differences between the two."

" Consensus opinion is usually that 32 bit is a tiny bit more stable than 64 bit."

http://peppermintos.com/guide/downloading/

Now I'm confused. what should I do? :( Should I continue sticking with the 32 bit version because I have had no problems with it so far. I just thought 64 bit Version will be faster

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Confused whether to install 64 bit or not
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:38:02 am »
Hi sk_sarma,

Like the saying goes: if it's not broken, don't fix it!

:P

Of course, you can play around if you wish. That you will see any difference one that machine is, however, rather questionable.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 06:45:50 am »
Hi sk_sarma,

Like the saying goes: if it's not broken, don't fix it!

Thank you Slim. I will stick to the 32-bit version then because I'm loving it :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 10:25:12 am »
Just to expand on that a bit, it all comes down to usage.  In most cases, there's no advantage to 64-bit.  The only cases where it's going to be advantageous are if you're into things like video production, CGI, those sort of things.  Programs for those kind of things are designed to take advantage of 64-bit processors.  Most other software isn't.  Even games aren't designed to take advantage of 64-bit.  Heck, Steam isn't even 64-bit software, it's 32-bit.  So, it all comes down to what you use your computer for.

The only other reason I would advise 64-bit is if you more than 4GB of RAM, which you obviously don't.  Supposedly, with PAE kernels, you can use a 32-bit distribution with more than 4GB of RAM and it will register the full amount of RAM, but I've never seen it happen.  I tried it once (admittedly, a few years ago) and it only showed 4GB on my desktop with 8GB.  *shrugs*

Anyway, those are the only reasons I would suggest 64-bit.  For the record, Adobe Flash works fine in 64-bit.  Also, I only run 64-bit and I generally suffer from no stability issues on any of my computers that are caused by the 64-bit system, that I know of.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:27:22 am by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:14:52 pm »
I got your point. no need to upgrade to 64-bit unless I have more than 4 gigs of RAM and my motherboard doesn't support more than 4 GB of RAM, so 32-bit is okay for me :D thanks scifidude79

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:29:20 pm »
There's nothing wrong with 32-bit, it's tried and true.  I only use 64 because I do CGI and, when it comes to rendering, anything you can do to speed up things helps.   :)  I only wish more software had 64-bit support.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 05:08:03 pm »
I guess 32 bit apps run on 64-bit but 64-bit apps dont run on 32-bit, right?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 06:19:12 pm »
Correct.  Also, I don't know if Linux is this way, but I know 64-bit Windows won't run 16-bit programs.  However, 32-bit will run 16-bit.  Important if you have something really old that you want to run.  (from the mid to late '90s or earlier)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 11:17:27 pm »
I think it wouldn't be hard to find emulators or ported versions of 16-bit apps. :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 11:26:12 pm »
Depends on the program.  I had some old CGI sofware from 1998 that was 32-bit but the installation program was 16-bit.  So, the installation program wouldn't run in Windows 7 64-bit and there was no compatibility setting to make it do so.  There's no emulator (or wasn't back then that I knew of) for running 16-bit Windows programs on Windows 64-bit and M$ couldn't be bothered to include support for 16-bit software.  The company that made the software no longer existed, so there was no hope of a port.  What I actually wound up doing was using Linux Mint to install the software using Wine and then I copied the program folder over to Windows 7.  Running the program itself after doing that wasn't an issue because it was 32-bit software, just its installer was 16-bit, probably a holdover from an earlier version.  ::)  Funnily enough, the software itself never ran very well in Wine either, but I never needed it to, I just needed to run the installer to create the program folders so that I could copy them.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:27:56 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 01:49:51 am »
Are there no modern version of those CGI apps still available? Computers should be backward compatible. Sometimes, it gives a chance to the application developers to increase their sales. Like for example, my dad used to have a printing press in the early 2000s and we used to have a font/typing software for indic languages along with Windows 98. The software was quite expensive and it was worth it. When we upgraded to Windows XP a few years later, the typing software was no more working on XP. So my dad had to re-buy it (newer version). I was a school kid back then and even now, I try to figure out why it worked on 98 but didn't work on XP

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 02:35:11 am »
Are there no modern version of those CGI apps still available?

Sure, there were newer versions, but this was one of those instances where the newer versions were buggy pieces of crap that didn't work like they should.  The one I was using was actually the best version they ever made of this particular software.  Fortunately, I don't use that particular software anymore.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 05:48:33 am »
Exactly. I know a lot of people who still use older versions of Adobe photoshop, Adobe Pagemaker, Coreldraw etc in their printing/designing business. they may not compete with the newer versions in terms of aesthetics and features but performance -wise, they're way better.

So far, I have found almost every Windows alternative on Linux. like, I never learned AutoCAD but I use freeCAD for building drawing and there is a freeCAD on Linux as well. There can be no better substitute to Photoshop than GIMP :D I have no reason to go back to Windows anymore. Performance wise, I think these apps perform better on Linux.

I hope you have find useful CGI apps on Linux.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 10:52:55 am »
Man, I love GIMP, I've been using it since 2006.  I've never even used Photoshop.  I also use Inkscape, which is a great CorelDraw and similar program alternative.  For video editing, I like OpenShot and KDENLive.  The only software I had to really change when moving to Linux was my 3D software.

I hope you have find useful CGI apps on Linux.

I'm using Blender these days.  Not only is it 1000% free, but it has no operating system requirements other than something modern.  The Blender Foundation releases versions for just about anything, Windows, OSX, Linux and BSD.  It's available in both 32 and 64 bit for both of those.  Getting the latest version is as simple as downloading the archive (.tar.gz for Linux) from their website, then extracting and running it. I have it in a folder in my /home folder and I created a .desktop file to put it in the menu.

There are a few other 3D CGI packages available for Linux.  One I was checking out a few months back is called Modo, but it's too expensive for me.  $1799 USD.  Though, it's presently on sale for "only" $1079.40.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:55:52 am by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 12:17:17 pm »
Yes I have installed Inkscape but never paid attention to it. If it's similar to Coreldraw then I'll be delighted to find a Coreldraw alternative for Linux :D It's good for designing logos and polymer stamps (or seals). Sums up, a printing press can fully make use of Linux.

Woah, that's too much! it costs even more than original Windows DVDs. :O Perhaps you can search for its Debian package.