Author Topic: Can frequent partitioning/formatting damage a hard disk? [SOLVED]  (Read 3183 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Can frequent partitioning/formatting damage a hard disk? [SOLVED]
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 08:20:27 am »
Hi sk_sarma, how's it going?  Have you heard of Clonezilla?  It's a disk imaging programme, somewhat similar to Norton Ghost.  This is free though.  I use it as part of my backup regime.  It takes an image of your whole disk and compresses it and stores it on an external drive, server even myCloud.  You can flash the image onto a new drive, (as long as it's large enough to accommodate the image).  This way if your existing drive goes, "belly up", you only lose what was between Clonezilla backups. This can be made up with regular incremental backups of your home partition/folder with a standard backup like deja-dup/duplicity.  It's worth thinking about.  Here's Clonezilla's website: Clonezilla.  You download the ISO file and flash it to a USB stick with the USB stick Formatter in the Peppermint Six menu.  This way you don't have to worry about disks dying and loosing valuable data  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: Can frequent partitioning/formatting damage a hard disk? [SOLVED]
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 09:21:38 am »
Thank you AndyInMokum. I had never heard of Clonezilla before nor I was aware of such programs :) After I accidently deleted all my hard disk data a few months ago, I currently have just a few GBs of data now. I use my 16 GB memory card as backup. but I guess using cloudzilla is a much better option. thanks :)