Choose style:

Author Topic: (SOLVED) Pros and Cons?  (Read 4239 times)

bobww99

(SOLVED) Pros and Cons?
« on: May 03, 2014, 11:51:11 pm »
Hi,
I am thinking of trying BleachBit. Has anyone tried it? Need Pros and Cons before leaping into it.
Initial first Articles for Ref:
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/73218.html
http://opensource.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/Clean-Up-Your-Act-Howto-Run-Bleachbit.htm

I suspect by accomplishing the above with  terminal commands would be safer,provided you knew what you are doing, to accomplish this GUI but the learning curve might be a little too steep? At least with the GUI you could drill down with a Google search and get a more secure feeling before you commit to something a bit dicey? If dicey don't do it. I"If it aint broke don't fix it" & "Error on the side of caution".

Use Peppermint 3 and Mint 16, Both working and fast.
Thank You,
Bob
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:42:25 pm by bobww99 »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: BleachBit Pros and Cons?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:15:58 am »
Old-school long-time Linux gurus will come over to your house and kick your dog for even mentioning such a thing.   :o
However, Bleachbit does offer a few benefits, IMHO. 

Pros
Bleachbit is reasonably fast, easy, simple to use and does what you tell it to do.  A general description of what it can do can be found
HERE
You can "shred" individual files with Bleachbit which is really useful for those who need to cover their tracks (criminal elements, for example). 

Cons
I've never heard / read of bleachbit bunking anybody's system but you can lose data, including bookmarks, if you aren't paying attention. 

There is no necessity for Bleachbit, AFAIK, as anything Bleachbit does can be done manually.....it really boils down to convenience. 

If you decide to use it.....
   be careful what you tell it to do
   read the on-board descriptions of what a particular option does
   always run preview so you can see what it's about to do and stop / change if necessary
   above all backup important data before using

As with most things, some swear by Bleachbit, others swear at it.  You'll have to try it yourself to know for sure which you'll do. 

Anyway, that's my take on it.   :D

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:42:57 am by mac »
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:37:47 am »
OK, where's your dog ?

Bleachbit won't harm your system on its own, but it makes it very easy for you to do it :) .. bit like the dd command ;)

The reason I don't like GUII apps with tons of options for this kind of thing is it's easy to accidentally leave something selected that you don't want .. where you're less likely to accidentally type a functional command you didn't mean to type.

That said, mac's right .. whatever suits YOU is best .. just BE CAREFUL with it.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

bobww99

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 11:15:37 am »
Thanks for your comments. I concur. If I decided to down load and give it a try, I think it would be a good idea to check the Google cons and problems this type of program might create prior to downloading? At the very least, I think I should thoroughly research any actions the program suggests, maybe find the command equivalent and compare the results?

I will leave this post open for a short time and do a little more research before I make any decision.
Anyone who has an opinion is welcome to comment-feel free.

Great inputs,
Bob

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 04:05:43 pm »
I've used Beachbit, off and on, for a couple of years now.

It has special warning concerting Memory that you should take very seriously.  It says it is experimental, and that it could possibly harm your system.  It means exactly what it says.  It can harm your system.   From what I can remember, and this was ages ago, trying to clean my OS's memory did my OS harm.    So, to be on the safe side of things, I strongly urge you not to use the memory cleaner within Bleachbit.  I can't see that cleaning  memory is very useful anyway, after all we're not talking about an Android Smart Phone here -- PCNetSpec would know more about this subject than me -- but I can tell you from personal experience it's best to leave the box unchecked for the memory cleaner.

Also, PCNetSpec, asked me once for some of my BASH info, but I had run the Bleachbit tool before I was aware of his request, and when I ran PCNetSpec's command request, in order to help me diagnose a problem I was having, I came up with nothing.   I, personally, always leave Bash unchecked now -- just in case.

And lastly, if you live in a duo, or more, language household, be careful to keep checked the languages for files you wish to preserve.  English is Bleachbit's default language for us, but Bleachbit could, in theory, wipe something out from another language you wanted to preserve.  Just be sure to check off the languages you use regularly.  It has a bunch of languages you can check off right at first download.

Now I'm guessing you probably got the idea of Bleachbit from CCleaner because,  after running CCleaner in Windows, you noticed a marked change in speed with your computer after doing so.  Linux, and certainly  Peppermint, can appear to fly like lightning after coming over from  Windows.  You won't have to use Bleachbit as a tool for Linux nearly as much as you needed to use CCleaner when running Windows.  Linux is a cleaner and faster operating system by desigin -- and Peppermint is one of the fastest, and most functional distros there is.

Welcome to Peppermint!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:33:41 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 11:09:51 am »
One More Thing....
I ran across this today..
Never use cleaning applications
With cleaning applications like Bleachbit, you easily destroy more than you want. You can't trust them, because before you know it, they remove too much and damage the system.

Besides, they are useless. Linux hardly experiences any pollution. So cleaning is superfluous. You may at most win a couple of hundreds of megabytes disk space, at an unacceptably high risk of damage.

SOURCE
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:06:20 pm »
Good one, Mac.  That's an outstanding article.

Hasta la vista, Bleachbit!

This will be a fun homework assignment.

Thank you,

8)

perknh

bobww99

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:46:44 am »
I think the Google/"Pjotr" article  "Avoid 10 fatal mistakes in Ubuntu" makes a good case. Might be best to leave Bleachbit alone in Peppermint, which is based on Lubuntu, a derivative of the Ubuntu.
Regarding the You Tube posts on Bleachbit
Way too cavalier in what items for deletion they deem to run and not to run. I think this is mainly do to the confines of time it takes to show basic functioning and that serves the video's purpose primarily.

Will have to do some research regarding the validity (excluding the Bleachbit portion) of Article "Avoid 10 fatal mistakes in Ubuntu". This article might be subject for more discussion?

I don't know if this subject should be closed but I'am pleased with the help received. Will mark it "(SOLVED)" in a day or two, and if the Moderator(s) want to to reopen,go ahead and do so.
Thanks,
Bob

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 05:31:31 pm »
Me, too, bobww99.

I've decided also, after reading the same two articles, to leave Bleachbit alone.

Good karma must go to Mac for this one.  With one excellent link, Mac managed to pull two rabbits out of his Peppermint hat with that answer.  I've saved those two articles too -- for further study.

perknh

Good question bobww99!

Thank you.