Choose style:

Author Topic: Apt, The Best Package Management System in the World  (Read 3882 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Apt, The Best Package Management System in the World
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 01:50:04 pm »
On the subject of Manjaro, I decided to try it the other day, this time with the XFCE desktop.  I downloaded it and wrote it to a USB drive.  I installed it and, during installation, I chose to install GRUB to the / partition so that I could use my Peppermint version of GRUB.  After installation and running update-grub from within Peppermint, I tried rebooting into Manjaro only to find out it wouldn't boot.  After a couple unsuccessful attempts. I rebooted back into Peppermint and checked it out on their forums.  It turns out Manjaro has a bug in it where you can only use the version of GRUB that comes with it to boot it.  Trying to boot from another GRUB installation causes a kernel panic message and it won't load.  I prefer to use Peppermint's GRUB to boot my computer, so that's a no-go for me.  This is only the most recent issue I've had trying to run Manjaro.  In my opinion, it's quite ready for day-to-day use on a computer until they get some of these issues ironed out.

I tried regular Arch a while back.  That was a laugh.  After following the steps in their installation guide to the letter, I rebooted to a "GRUB Rescue" message.  Fortunately, that was on a computer with no other operating systems on it, so I just booted up a P6 disk and installed it.

For Arch-based distributions, I actually prefer Apricity.  Unlike Manjaro, with which I've had no end of issues, I've never had any major ones with Apricity.  It runs smoothly and efficiently.  I'm not a big fan of Gnome 3, but I actually don't mind it as much as I did at first, since there are a wide variety of Shell extensions available these days.  With only a few tweaks, you can get rid of the tablet style interface and replace it with something more sane.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 02:27:37 pm »
...you should not conclude (based upon your experience with Manjaro) that Arch has more problems than other distros. Try something else that is Arch-based, or Arch itself (not easy, I admit), and then make or draw a conclusion concerning Arch and stability.

Some Arch-based distros end up making Arch look terrible -- although the problem is not in Arch itself but in the derivatives.

Hi Slim.Fatz,

You're right!  I had jumped to conclusions that because Manjaro held packages back, it would (or should) be more stable than Arch.  The problems I always seem to experience with Manjaro could have nothing to do with Arch at all. These problems I've experienced may well be solely from Manjaro itself.

Compared to my experiences with Manjaro, which really looked like it would be the way to go, I can only say this: with Manjaro I ALWAYS had problems, crashes, etc. Their releases seem to be poorly tested. I say this because I never used anything other than their stable releases of packages.

Yes, indeed!  Manjaro really did look like the way to go.  Honestly, I have been looking at Manjaro as if it were the new kid, or the new Ubuntu, on the block.  I thought it was the harbinger of things to come.  You know, "Set it, and forget it"  --and those beautiful interfaces (Xfce, KDE, and Openbox), but my experiences with Manjaro, at this point at least, have not kept up with my wishes.

Thank you, Slim.Fatz.  You make a very good point. ;)

P.S.

Hi scifidude79 --saw you posted after I wrote this!

It does sound as if we've all had problems with Manjaro. :(

I'll do some reading, or YouTubing, about Apricity.  I didn't know that Apricity was stable yet.

Thank you, both.

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 02:36:46 pm »
I'll do some reading, or YouTubing, about Apricity.  I didn't know that Apricity was stable yet.

It's still in Beta, but I find it to be quite stable.  Though, no bleeding edge rolling release distro is every truly stable.  Only partly rolling distros, such as PCLinuxOS are stable.  That's because, while you don't ever have to update your system to a new version because new stuff is added to the repositories, it's all tested first and (usually) nothing is added that will break your system.  You don't have that kind of guarantee with fully rolling distros like Arch and Gentoo.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 03:06:07 pm »
@perknh:

You're welcome. If I had more time and perhaps problems with my (initally) ArchBang installation I would also give Apricity a try. But I am so pleased with the way things are now that I will pass (at least for now).

But really, let's get serious now: what can be better than Peppermint Six? In my opinion: nothing -- except perhaps Peppermint Seven !!

8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 03:53:21 pm »
Peppermint Seven !!

That's the only answer I can come up with too.   8)

I'm always so disappointed when I run other distributions.  I'm like "Well, it's not Peppermint..."  I especially hate it when I hit Ctl+Alt+T and nothing happens.  ???

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 05:18:42 pm »
But really, let's get serious now: what can be better than Peppermint Six? In my opinion: nothing -- except perhaps Peppermint Seven !!

8)

That's the only answer I can come up with too.   8)

I'm always so disappointed when I run other distributions.  I'm like "Well, it's not Peppermint..."  I especially hate it when I hit Ctl+Alt+T and nothing happens.  ???

Or when you when you install another distribution's ISO image to a flash drive, and then it won't boot ???

So, what do I think of Peppermint?

Well, there are three installations of Peppermint within 60 feet of me right now.  I know this because I'm the one that installed Peppermint to the three computers.

Peppermint Linux OS rocks! ;)

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 10:37:49 pm »
Or when you when you install another distribution's ISO image to a flash drive, and then it won't boot ???

Yeah, that totally sucks.   >:(