Choose style:

Author Topic: cannot download anything from software manager  (Read 1272 times)

Offline amabel02

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
cannot download anything from software manager
« on: September 27, 2015, 01:26:21 pm »
I have spent yet another afternoon trying to solve this problem but even the latest effort of un-installing the lot and then reinstalling it did not solve this apparently common problem
My inxi -F is as follows
Code: [Select]
nsa-5220 Kernel: 3.8.0-35-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Four
Machine:   System: Acer product: Extensa 5220 version: 0100
           Mobo: Acer model: Columbia version: Rev Bios: Phoenix version: V1.16 date: 08/07/2007
CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron CPU 530 (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) clocked at 1728.997 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@59.9hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.8.0-35-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:16:d3:e8:0e:04
           Card-2: Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:1c:26:57:82:8c
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (7.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54168 size: 80.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 30G used: 5.7G (21%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 74.0C mobo: 73.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 128 Uptime: 1:07 Memory: 304.0/2007.6MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4

I am looking forward to new suggestions but I am a total novice in the art of coding

Thanks Joe

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:04:38 pm by AndyInMokum, Reason: Encapsulating output with code function. »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: cannot download anything from software manager
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 02:15:18 pm »
Hi amabel02, welcome to the Peppermint Forum 8)!!  You mentioned you have reinstalled Peppermint Six.  Have you run a post-installation update and upgrade?  If you haven't done this, we highly recommend you do so.  This often fixes many issues without the need for any further action. 

Since the time when your installation ISO was originally created, the kernel and the installed software packages will have gone through several upgrades.  Peppermint, like other Linux distributions is a very dynamic and rapidly evolving operating system.  Consequently, it needs to be kept as current as possible for optimal performance.  Please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following commands into the terminal window.

TipLinux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to execute.

apt update && apt upgrade
Hit enter and enter your user password when asked.  Hit enter again and follow the on screen instructions.  After that has completed, continue with:
apt dist-upgrade
Hit enter and enter your user password if asked.  Hit enter again and follow the on screen instructions.

The next step is critical.  After the upgrade has completed, reboot your machine because there may have been kernel upgrades.  Now try installing software from the software manager.  I hope this helps  ;).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:16:57 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 02:36:47 pm »
Hi AndyInMokum,

If you look closely at the output posted by amabel02 you will notice that Peppermint Four is installed rather than Peppermint Six.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:36:06 pm »
Hi again amabel02, scratch what I posted earlier.  Slim.Fatz has kindly pointed out to me that you're running Peppermint Four - thanks Slim for making me aware of this.  I should better read the info provided  :-[Peppermint Four hasn't been supported for nearly two years.  None of the repos used have been updated and are now all archived.  To continue using Peppermint, you will need to install a supported version.  Both Peppermint Six and Peppermint Five will receive updates from Ubuntu until April 2019Peppermint Three will receive updates until April 2017.  A fresh install is needed for all of the supported versions.  There's no upgrade path.  The good news is, both Peppermint Six and Five are far superior distributions in comparison to Peppermint Four.  They're much easier to use and offer the user even greater flexibility and freedom of choice.  If you need assistance with the installation, please don't hesitate to ask here.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.