Choose style:

Author Topic: why is Peppermint so underrated?  (Read 12123 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: why is Peppermint so underrated?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 06:46:12 pm »
That's a great description/testimonial of/for Peppermint .. cheers WaltH :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 10:37:16 pm »
I pay no attention to the critics who moan that Peppermint doesn't have enough pre-installed packages.   I call that a bonus.  It's so easy to build your own ultra cool distro with the base Peppermint installation.  The only advantage I can see with a lot of pre-installed packages, is if you're going to run the distro Live.  Other than that, it's someone else making decisions for you. 
That is actually the thing I like best about Peppermint. It is a lot like being able to build our own distro without having to know how to compile. I don't like having a bunch of stuff installed on my system that I don't want or need or having to install a bunch of stuff I don't want to get the one thing I do want. A number of people say it doesn't really matter because hard drives keep getting bigger and dropping in cost. They completely miss the point. If I don't want it, I should have to have it, or I should be able to completely get rid of it,

You and me both.  I love that Peppermint comes with little installed by default.  Whenever I load up another distro, be it Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, whatever, right off the bat I have to uninstall a bunch of stuff I don't want.  Do I need the hard drive space?  No, I have a 1TB hard drive that currently has one OS on it.  (though, I do keep space clear for distro testing)  The thing is, I just don't want that junk on my system.  I don't want it updating and adding time to my update process when I run updates.  I don't want it.  Period.  Peppermint just isn't like that.  I can do a fresh install and all I have to remove is Chromium, simply because I don't use it.  Then I upgrade the system and get to work installing what I want.  That whole "light" approach to Peppermint has always been my favorite feature.  There are a few other distros that offer a minimal install disc, but they're still not as cool as Peppermint.   8)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 11:05:46 pm »
Peppermint+synaptic >>> so called "best distros"

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 03:37:50 am »
Why is Peppermint so underrated ?

If you read the comments above you'll see It's not underrated at all by the people that matter .. people who've tried it properly and "get it" :)

ANYONE is welcome to join the Peppermint "club", but at the end of the day it's "club members" that matter most .. think of it as a community first and foremost, I know for a fact that's why I'm here .. best Linux community ON THE PLANET bar non :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:03:02 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 08:59:45 am »
best Linux community ON THE PLANET bar non :)

That's for sure.  There are some nice ones, some decent ones and some I wouldn't even think of joining, but the Peppermint community is a cut above even the nice ones.

I remember seeing some articles from a few years back, when Peppermint was pretty new, praising the friendliness of the community.  One thing that was mentioned was how the community here doesn't make new users feel stupid by code bombing them or just generally being A-holes, like some communities.  (no need to elaborate, most people know one of the most notorious culprits for that)  I guess someone tried doing some crap like that early in the days of Peppermint, but it was quickly made clear by the forum admins that behavior like that isn't tolerated here.  When people take the time to write articles about how Peppermint has the best community, you know it has to be true.   8)

Offline WaltH

• Know Enough To Be Dangerous
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 09:21:55 am »

If you read the comments above you'll see It's not underrated at all by the people that matter .. people who've tried it properly and "get it" :)

ANYONE is welcome to join the Peppermint "club", but at the end of the day it's "club members" that matter most .. think of it as a community first and foremost, I know for a fact that's why I'm here .. best Linux community ON THE PLANET bar non :)
I am certainly no Linux expert, though I have used it exclusively on my home computers since around 2001. In that time, I've probably used a dozen or more distros as my primary distribution of choice (from Mandrake to Libranet - remember them? to Vector to openSuSE to Mint), and I think it is safe to say the Peppermint community is one of the best around. It is the thing that makes Peppermint a great choice for either the veteran Linux user/command line guru or the first-timer.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 01:26:22 pm »
Our primary goal isn't numbers .. it's more about being good enough to inspire people to stay, and to have the best/friendliest community (which we already have) :)

The numbers will come if/when they come .. let's just hope they don't ruin things as the community is paramount, and oddly community spirit tends to fade with numbers  ???

I think it would be easy for Peppermint to get numbers.  All Peppermint would have to do is offer more editions of Peppermint!   There could be a Peppermint X for an Xfce editon, Peppermint K for a KDE editon, etc... and we'd have the numbers, I'm sure.

But would having more editions of Peppermint help us as a community.  Probably not.  But still, that would be how we could get a larger user base if numbers were to be our objective.

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 02:26:22 pm »
I think it would be easy for Peppermint to get numbers.  All Peppermint would have to do is offer more editions of Peppermint!   There could be a Peppermint X for an Xfce editon, Peppermint K for a KDE editon, etc... and we'd have the numbers, I'm sure.

With one person programming it all?  Yeah, that ain't happening.  Peppermint would need some more "hands on deck" for that approach.

Of course, there's nothing stopping anyone from installing those desktop interfaces after they install the system.  I forget which version I did it with, (2 or 3, I think) but I once put XFCE on Peppermint.  It worked as advertised.   8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »
To tell the truth I'm not really bothered about doing other versions .. as LHG sugested, I'd rather we "nail" the one we do than spread ourselves thin doing other versions just for the sake of it.

Banging say an Xfce version out wouldn't take long to do the actual build, but then we'd have to research twice as much for the next versions .. or put another way, each of the next versions would only have half as much time spent on them.

I'm not sure multiple versions would raise numbers anyway .. and numbers just for the sake of them aren't a priority.

Peppermint doesn't need multiple versions, we need one great one .. and the numbers will take care of themselves.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:11:54 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• Know Enough To Be Dangerous
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 03:48:08 pm »
To tell the truth I'm not really bothered about doing other versions .. as LHG sugested, I'd rather we "nail" the one we do than spread ourselves thin doing other versions just for the sake of it.

Banging say an Xfce version out wouldn't take long to do the actual build, but then I'd have to research twice as much for the next versions .. or put another way, each of the next versions would only have half as much time spent on them.

Peppermint doesn't need multiple versions, and I'm not sure that would raise numbers anyway .. but numbers just for the sake of them aren't a priority anyway.
I agree. While I like Xfce, especially with the Whisker Menu (that was one of the main thingsI liked about Manjaro), I don't feel like I'm missing out, amd I'm sure there is probably a way to add some of the same functionality here if someone desired (such as the Favorites submenu in Whisker - I would imagine that could be manually added by a user without having to know too much).

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 03:51:33 pm »

I am certainly no Linux expert, though I have used it exclusively on my home computers since around 2001. In that time, I've probably used a dozen or more distros as my primary distribution of choice (from Mandrake to Libranet - remember them? to Vector to openSuSE to Mint), and I think it is safe to say the Peppermint community is one of the best around. It is the thing that makes Peppermint a great choice for either the veteran Linux user/command line guru or the first-timer.

The truth has been spoken :)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 03:57:52 pm »
Btw I don't know why but I used to have Lubuntu 32-bit before Peppermint and the usual RAM consumption with Google Chrome running was always more than 400 MB. With Peppermint Six, it hardly crosses 300 MB. Even though Peppermint has better visuals and notification OSD running in the background  :-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 04:13:40 pm »
It's the special peppermint sauce :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
Recently I've noticed a lot of new users on here enthusing about how good Peppermint is with the exception of one poster whose name resembles an edible plant which presumably he took from what's resides between his ears, additionally  I've not seen one bad independent review and it looks to me our user base is growing apparently even a public library in England is using Peppermint on their public PC's, I wouldn't call that underrated and if it is bring it on

I think it's far better to do one thing well that half a dozen things badly, with Peppermint we have one version and it's damn good it does what it says on the tin and it does it well backed up with a community second to none

So Distrowatch can take care of itself meanwhile Peppermint will take care of it's users

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 05:29:01 pm »
Personally, I prefer distributions that focus on only one desktop.  While I like what Mint and others do, I think multiple desktops sometimes causes more issues that it solves.

One issue I personally have with Mint is the way they "stagger" their releases to save on server load.  While I understand that, I personally don't like Cinnamon or Mate that well, which are always released first.  Then comes XFCE and, finally, KDE, which is my favorite version of Mint.  Sometimes, they release a .1 release for Cinnamon and Mate before they release KDE, which can be irksome to people who like that desktop.  (at least they don't have LXDE anymore, that was just one more they had to fit in, plus there's LMDE)  So, waiting for your favorite desktop to drop when others are out for the latest version can be an issue.  And, judging from the comments I see on their release announcements, "when are you going to release the the XFCE or KDE version?" I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Also, having one desktop streamlines help on the forums.  When a person asks for help with Peppermint, they don't have to put what desktop they're using except if they installed something else.  So, for everyone else, we can just dig in with help for the default Peppermint desktop.  It makes things easier for people doing the helping.

So, while Mint may have a bigger user base, (good for them, seriously, Clem and the others are good people) it's a bit more spread out over the different versions, whereas most of the Peppermint users are either using Peppermint 5 or 6 (or both.)

But, this is just my opinion.  I also happen to love the Peppermint desktop, especially Peppermint 6.  It's my favorite Linux desktop, replacing KDE in that spot.   8)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:31:53 pm by scifidude79 »