Choose style:

Author Topic: why is Peppermint so underrated?  (Read 12531 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
why is Peppermint so underrated?
« on: September 22, 2015, 04:11:10 am »
Hi guys. been around 18 days since I installed Peppermint Six and I have become an ardent fan of its looks, performance, stability and reliability. But why is this distro so underrated?

By underrated, I mean that there are a lot of Linux enthusiasts who don't even know what Peppermint is. Plus, most Linux distro-suggesting websites don't list Peppermint in their so called "Best linux distros" lists. Quite frankly, I came to know about Peppermint from a comment on quora. There was this guy who had 1 GB RAM and he asked if he could use Ubuntu. Most users suggested him to use Lubuntu, however one commented about Peppermint. I googled Peppermint OS and then came to know about it. Initial review was gathered from Arindam Sen's blog "mylinuxexplore". But it was the review of Peppermint 5 and to my greatest surprise, there were hardly any reviews on Peppermint 6 anywhere.

I have tried a lot of distros so far. A few days ago, I downloaded and installed Bodhi Linux, which has been hailed as the one of the best lightweight Linux distros. But after struggling for around 4-5 hours on the Moksha DE (it's very different), I uninstalled it. Although I gotta admit that Bodhi is faster than Peppermint in booting up, shutting down and launching apps. But it still consumes more RAM and CPU than Peppermint. Now I dual boot with Peppermint and Puppy Linux.

I like how Peppermint is designed. It looks beautiful, yet consumes very low RAM and CPU. The black theme is fantastic. And the way how every window has a shadow and gets translucent when another window overtakes it. The notify-OSDs are fun. To sum up, it gives Elementary OS -like visuals consuming even less resources than Lubuntu or Bodhi.

However I would like to request the Peppermint developers to please include some better wallpapers than the default ones. :)  ;D

RAM and CPU usage at startup

Usual (with google chrome running)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: why is Peppermint so underrated?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 04:32:35 am »
Thanks for the kind words .. if you look around comments on the few reviews there have been around the web it seems that a LOT of people were under the mistaken impression that Peppermint was cloud ONLY (similar to ChromeOS), I think that held us back, it just seems a lot of people dismiss Peppermint without ever having tried it, or worse from the comments it's normally obvious they haven't even read the review they're commenting on.

Our primary goal isn't numbers .. it's more about being good enough to inspire people to stay, and to have the best/friendliest community (which we already have) :)

The numbers will come if/when they come .. let's just hope they don't ruin things as the community is paramount, and oddly community spirit tends to fade with numbers  ???
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:55:58 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:19:17 am »
That's right PCNetSpec. Peppermint has an enthralling community which sets it apart from others. I have always been replied to my queries on these forums by friendly developers, experts and other users alike.

I don't want to criticize any distro but when I installed Bodhi Linux and had some issues. so I posted a question on their forum. it wasn't replied for 12 hours and It still hasn't been replied to. that is very disappointing for "top listed" a distro. On the other hand, I have learnt a lot on the Peppermint Forums. I have never been so active in any forum in my entire life. I have urged a lot of friends and relatives to install Peppermint. Most of them are windows users though, so I always have to explain how Linux is better than windows. :D ;D

I'd like to mention the mint-update app and the software center app. Software center has great and simple interface with no-nonsense apps. Although I prefer synaptic but I found software Centre better than the ubuntu software center. Mint update runs in the background and it shows up a tiny shield on the system tray with certain icons to indicate whether an update is available. I installed firefox and chrome from Debian packages but I still receive their updates. that's so cool.

Offline Dave_D

• nOOb
  • Often wrong, never in doubt. Now with more Cowbell
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 09:43:04 am »
Today Distrowatch has Peppermint on it's 6-month rating at #38 out of 100 distros. Now that's certainly not Mint-level, but it's actually good IMHO...with upward trending Hits Per Day of 332, it's pulling some interest.

As PCNetSpec points out, it's been mischaracterized as somehow Cloud-only. I thinks thats because ICE is such a selling point about Peppermint. Maybe too much.

Like a lot of people who have embraced Linux, I've distro-hopped quite a bit over the years. But frankly, it was the impression I got from the Peppermint community, somewhat small that it is, that I could learn something here without fear of getting flamed....which happens a lot over a the big-distro forums.  And, Peppermint runs like a charm on all my machines, from my Asus eeepc, Dell 1420 Inspiron and my box on the floor.  I've yet to break it, unlike some of the messes I've made before.

So in some regards I'm happy that Peppermint isn't going all celebrity. But also to PCNetSpec's point, it's more about being good enough to inspire people to stay, and to further the point, stay as freindly as it is while contributing to it's growth.

Now, back to work before the boss comes into my office   :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:44:50 am by Dave_D »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:06:25 am »
Totally agree with you. there is a lot of misconception about Peppermint being a cloud based OS. I still remember when I was reading about peppermint on the Web before installing, I saw certain news articles named like "Peppermint is Linux's answer to google chrome OS". Peppermint is not an answer to chromebook OS. it's an answer to all those people who are searching for a great, beautiful and reliable distro for any kind of hardware.

Another point that makes reviewers give Peppermint a lower score is because of very less amount of pre installed applications. I was reading a blogpost on Peppermint 5, and it gave Peppermint 10/10 in performance, installation, hardware recognition but only 5/10 for pre installed packages. He also gave it 8/10 for aesthetics (perhaps he didn't try the black theme or maybe he didn't like the default wallpapers).

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.in/2014/07/peppermint-os-five-review-move-over.html?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 11:05:19 am »
I know, it's crazy that the supposed expert critics call Peppermint, "Linux's answer to the Chromebook".  Peppermint One was launched, 9 May 2010.  The first Chromebook was launched, June 15, 2011.  Peppermint did it first and did it better.  It continues to do better than Chromium OS.

I pay no attention to the critics who moan that Peppermint doesn't have enough pre-installed packages.   I call that a bonus.  It's so easy to build your own ultra cool distro with the base Peppermint installation.  The only advantage I can see with a lot of pre-installed packages, is if you're going to run the distro Live.  Other than that, it's someone else making decisions for you. 

I also pay little to no attention to reviewers thoughts on the default background.  As long as it's functional and allows the user flexibility, I don't really care.  Peppermint really gives me everything I want for my computing needs  ;).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:17:00 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 11:06:30 am »
Oh, that review reminded me of something else .. historically reviews have always said something to the effect of Peppermint is for older/limited hardware giving the impression that it too is somehow limited.

As for the lack of pre-installed software that's by design, allowing the user THEIR choice of software .. some people "get" it, a lot don't, we're okay with that :)
(nothing annoys me more than an otherwise good distro ruined by THEIR software choices, leaving me the task of removing it before I can get around to installing what *I* want)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:09:44 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 11:49:14 am »
Peppermint has still scored better than Bodhi Linux on the pre-installed apps score which received 0/10 :P I still don't think that the number of pre installed packages should be made a basis of judging a distribution. Other distros like LXLE which has an .iso size of around 1.5 GB comes with a lot of apps (including around 20 games). I don't even use half of those apps. and 100 wallpapers.

Peppermint iso file was a little more than 500 MB and gives the user the freedom to download whatever they want. I saw some peppermint application packages on the software center which contain a lot of applications inside them. I tried to download minimalistic apps like Abiword, Gnumeric, pidgin etc to save RAM and disk space. :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 02:08:26 pm »
Thanks for the kind words .. if you look around comments on the few reviews there have been around the web it seems that a LOT of people were under the mistaken impression that Peppermint was cloud ONLY (similar to ChromeOS), I think that held us back, it just seems a lot of people dismiss Peppermint without ever having tried it, or worse from the comments it's normally obvious they haven't even read the review they're commenting on.

This.  I don't know how many comments I've seen on Peppermint articles and reviews that go something like this:  "I'd never use that because I don't want to use the Cloud." ::) People see the word "cloud" and immediately jump to the conclusion that Peppermint is just like Chrome OS and don't read anything else about it.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 07:15:16 am »
[...] a LOT of people were under the mistaken impression that Peppermint was cloud ONLY [...]

Yup!  And, they still are...

Back in the beginning (2010-ish) I kept reading about Peppermint this, and Peppermint that, but I wasn't interested in trying anything that DEPENDED on the cloud. 

Actually, it's the same reason I don't own a Chromebook.  I wonder if that's a false perception also?!?!?   :D

Only reason I tried Peppermint (Two), in the first place, was out of desperation.  I was looking for a Lubuntu-based distro, with the cruft removed.  I loved Lubuntu, but didn't care for the direction 'Team Lubuntu' was taking it, e.g. it was getting bloated and slow to load from a USB stick.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:22:51 am by VinDSL, Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 12:58:33 pm »
AndyInMokum gave a solid point about why Peppermint shouldn't compared with Chrome OS. because Peppermint came before Chrome OS. if reviewers have to compare Chrome OS, they can compared it with Chromixium which is a new distro.

And Peppermint isn't a minimalistic distro like Bodhi (which doesn't even has a pre-installed browser,  media player). peppermint comes with all essential apps in a fresh installation. Chromium, VLC, USB formatter, image writer disks utility. :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 01:06:48 pm »
Peppermint shouldn't be compared to Chrome OS because it's not even in the same category as Chrome OS.  Peppermint gives you the best of both worlds, cloud options for people that want them and a rock solid desktop with tens of thousands of software packages at your fingertips for people who want that.  Chrome OS gives you a web browser with apps.  Not even remotely similar.  But, people go by what they've heard of.  They've heard of Chrome OS, which (I believe) was in beta when Peppermint was first released, because of Chromebooks, which were first announced when Peppermint had been around for many months.  However, the vast majority of people had never heard of Peppermint and, to tell the truth, most still never have.  But, people have heard of Chromebooks and Chrome OS because Google puts commercials on TV.  So, that's how, when people hear about Peppermint and hear the word "Cloud," they think it's just a Chrome knockoff because they don't know anything about it.  And, most get that idea in their head and don't want to learn about it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:09:03 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 01:26:47 pm »
Common people are fooled by advertisements and paid-promotions. otherwise why would someone who uses his/her computer for everyday tasks spend thousands on the Operating system, Antivirus software and spend half of their life searching and installing drivers and worrying about a virus infection. Had they known about Linux, all those tech giants like Microsoft would have lost a customer they had been fooling for years.

I have not used chrome OS but it looks like the whole OS is the Chrome browser itself with it's apps and extensions :P

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 02:38:53 pm »
I have not used chrome OS but it looks like the whole OS is the Chrome browser itself with it's apps and extensions :P

That's what it was at first.  Though, it looks like Google has added more apps since it was launched, according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

Offline WaltH

• Know Enough To Be Dangerous
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 04:48:15 pm »
I pay no attention to the critics who moan that Peppermint doesn't have enough pre-installed packages.   I call that a bonus.  It's so easy to build your own ultra cool distro with the base Peppermint installation.  The only advantage I can see with a lot of pre-installed packages, is if you're going to run the distro Live.  Other than that, it's someone else making decisions for you. 
That is actually the thing I like best about Peppermint. It is a lot like being able to build our own distro without having to know how to compile. I don't like having a bunch of stuff installed on my system that I don't want or need or having to install a bunch of stuff I don't want to get the one thing I do want. A number of people say it doesn't really matter because hard drives keep getting bigger and dropping in cost. They completely miss the point. If I don't want it, I should have to have it, or I should be able to completely get rid of it,

I ran Peppermint Two (I think it was) back in the day, then drifted away for a while. I came back to the Peppermint 6 re-spin from antiX-15, which was installed as a fallback after I had issues with the initial Peppermint 6 release. Even though Peppermint uses a little more RAM on my system than did antiX-15, it seems faster, more responsive, and certainly more polished. Unlike many reviewers, I never thought of Peppermint as a cloud-oriented distro, simply one that is highly flexible and can be customized according to the user's needs and desires. In other words, everything you want. Nothing you don't.