Author Topic: Dropbox indicator/notification icon issues  (Read 6714 times)

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Dropbox indicator/notification icon issues
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:24:30 am »
Where can I find a log of the programs that are started via the Startup Applications program (gnome-session-properties) in Peppermint 3? I looked in some of the usual suspects in /var/log/ and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Basically, I am using a custom version of Dropbox without nautilus integration, and it boots fine from the command line, but when I added an entry to Startup Applications with the same command: ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd, Dropbox fails to start (no notification icon, no running process). I was hoping to look at a log file to figure out why.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:20:08 am by xanadu »

Offline mac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: Where are startup applications logged?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:45:54 am »
Why not use the Peppermint-native Dropbox?
menu > Internet > Dropbox

Autostart files are in ~/.config/autostart  ;)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:46:33 am »
I'm not 100% sure about PM3 but in PM 4 startup applications are stored at /home/<username>/.config/autostart, you could try there

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:02:16 pm »
Autostarting dropbox can be a bit of a pain .. sometimes it loads before pcmanfm so fails

try starting it from the autostart folder mac and emegra mentioned .. also try adding a bit of a delay.

run:
Code: [Select]
mkdir ~/.config/autostartthen
gedit ~/.config/autostart/dropbox-custom-autostart.desktopand make it read:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=Dropbox Custom Autostart
Comment=File transfer and sharing
Exec=bash -c "sleep 60 ; /home/<username>/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd"
Icon=
Terminal=false
Encoding=UTF-8
Categories=Application;Network;
SAVE the file, and log off/on to test .. be aware dropbox won't start for 30 seconds after the desktop.

Also, be SURE to replace <username> in the
Exec=bash -c "sleep 60 ; /home/<username>/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd"
line in the above file with your ACTUAL username
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:42:30 pm »
try starting it from the autostart folder mac and emegra mentioned .. also try adding a bit of a delay.

I had been starting it from the autostart folder, gnome-session-properties (aka the Startup Applications program) is just a gui for that.

Anyway, adding delay did the trick! Thanks. I'll tweak it a bit to see just how much delay it needs. 30 seconds seems to work, though.

For future reference, is there a log file for the files in autostart to see why something fails to start/crashes?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:46:18 pm »
Not over and above the normal log files no .. or maybe that should say "not that I'm aware of" ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 02:42:22 pm »
Why not use the Peppermint-native Dropbox?
menu > Internet > Dropbox

I didn't realize that Peppermint 3 has a native Dropbox client. Running an apt-get just downloads dropbox-nautilus or whatever it's called. Anyway, adding some delay to the initialization of dropbox seems to fix the problem.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 03:30:10 pm »
The peppermint-dropbox package should be available in your repos.

or this PPA (for Peppermint 3):
https://launchpad.net/~kendalltweaver/+archive/peppermint?field.series_filter=precise

Direct download link:
https://launchpad.net/~kendalltweaver/+archive/peppermint/+files/peppermint-dropbox_3.0.0_all.deb

FYI...

It appears to be a modified dropbox-nautilus package that puts the dropbox.py file in a custom location, then adds 2 executable scripts to the system $PATH at /usr/bin
one to start the python script when "dropbox" is called
and one called "nautilus" that forwards calls for nautilus to pcmanfm instead
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:47:08 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »
Ah, thank you for this. I'd rather install it from PPA so I don't have to update manually.

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 07:50:10 am »
Ah, thank you for this. I'd rather install it from PPA so I don't have to update manually.

There won't be any future updates to that package so it doesn't matter if you install it manually or from the repo. Also, that PPA should be enabled by default in Peppermint Three and peppermint-dropbox should have been installed by default.
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline xanadu

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Where are startup applications logged? <SOLVED>
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 12:19:22 am »
The notification area/indicator icon for dropbox has disappeared. I originally thought this was because either a) I was using a custom (nautilus-free) build of dropbox or b) dropbox wasn't being autostarted as it should be. I followed the suggestions to install peppermint-dropbox again, and that seemed to solve my problem for a bit. Now, the icon is gone again. The service is running though (and sadly, it's consuming 100% of my CPU). I am running peppermint-dropbox, whatever the latest version is in the repos. It syncs fine if I move stuff in and out of the folders, but without an indicator icon, I can't see things such as file transfer rate or the remaining number of files to be synced.

I did a purge peppermint-dropbox, removed my .dropbox and Dropbox folders, just in case, reinstalled peppermint-dropbox, and then rebooted. It seems to be syncing fine as the folder is being repopulated, but the icon is still gone. There's also the weird problem that if I try to execute dropbox using any commandline switches, (like if I want to see the version number or help page), it just returns: "To link this computer to a dropbox account, visit the following url:" Obviously, it is linked to this computer, since it is syncing to it as we speak.

Does anyone have any suggestions (aside from "just wait for Peppermint 5 to come out")? A number of places elsewhere suggested installing libappindicator1 to solve the no-icon issue (for Ubuntu 13.04, though), but that is already installed on here, so that's not helpful. It's bad enough that Google doesn't support Drive for Linux, now this! Maybe it's time to look into some of those alternative cloud storage services (but I'd be sad to let my 10gb of free space on Dropbox go to waste).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:24:42 am by xanadu »

Offline kendall

• Administrator
  • Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Dropbox indicator/notification icon issues
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:02:30 am »
You can use google-drive-ocamlfuse to mount a Google Drive. There should be a PPA for it.

On the topic of Dropbox, you can still use their web interface as a band-aid until Peppermint Five comes out.
Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.