Choose style:

Author Topic: Whoa. Microsoft Is Using Linux to Run Its Cloud  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Dave_D

• nOOb
  • Often wrong, never in doubt. Now with more Cowbell
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Whoa. Microsoft Is Using Linux to Run Its Cloud
« on: September 18, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Whoa. Microsoft Is Using Linux to Run Its Cloud
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 08:12:49 pm »
 ;D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 01:02:43 pm »
They should be.  How else would they secure it from viruses and hacking?  Certainly not by running it on their own kernel.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 01:13:20 pm »
I'm confused whether it's a good news or a bad news. Good news because finally the tech giant is turning to Linux. bad news because now viruses will be targeted for linux.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 01:58:22 pm »
It's neither good news nor is it bad news.  As PCNetSpec is apt to point out, it's extremely hard to infect Linux, so I don't see why viruses targeted at Linux would be any more of an issue than they have been in the past.  (most "serious" Linux threats don't survive a system reboot)  Microsoft being "associated" with Linux on any level won't help or hurt it, I don't think.  It's not like them using it for their cloud server will make people suddenly see the light and start using Linux.  Now, if they reversed their earlier anti Linux position and came out and said Linux was good, that may help.  But, that won't happen.  They're keeping this low key, likely to not draw attention to the fact that anything of theirs has any connection to Linux, which could adversely affect their sales, or whatever mechanic through which they'll eventually start making money with Windows 10.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 04:17:56 pm »
BANG .. that was me sploding.

bad news because now viruses will be targeted for linux

Obscurity is NOT the reason Linux doesn't have any viruses work mentioning .. it is a MUCH bigger target than Windows, why do you think "hackers" do what they do, it's either monetary gain or to make a name for themselves .. In BOTH cases Linux is a richer environment, it runs banks/stock exchanges/corporations/etc. and the first person to author a Linux virus that can actually spread and do damage will make a HUGE name for themselves.

Linux is proof against Viruses through good design .. Linux viruses ARE possible, but they cannot spread or do any real damage .. END OF STORY, so bring em on.

Read these:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/?page=virus
and
http://www.caribyte.com/articles/short_life_hard_times_of_linux_virus

Sorry sk_sarma, but the whole "Linux doesn't get viruses because of market share" is a pet hate of mine and bull**** propagated by Windows fans desperate to explain why Windows has so many holes .. it bares ZERO relation to the truth and completely ignores the fact that the most used OS in the world with the richest target pickings IS already Linux.

Read the links above (particularly the top one) .. it's long, but it explains things well :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:36:33 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 08:58:47 pm »
I'm sure there are already people trying to infect and take down Microsoft's cloud.  It's inevitable.  However, if it's running on the Linux kernel, they simply won't succeed.   8)

The reason so many viruses attack and infect Windows is because they can.  Microsoft leaves the door wide open for them.  At least they're being smarter about their cloud (for now.)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 12:49:27 pm »
Thank you for sharing that article. I learnt something very important. you're right. Considering how most banks, governments and scientific/defence organizations use Linux, it already makes it a much targeted system for attacks (probably even more than Windows). Besides, I think Microsoft has started to realize that their windows is nothing more than an eye candy And a child's toy. They have lost their faith on windows, then why should others trust windows :)