Choose style:

Author Topic: NTFS folder disappeared, dual boot (SOLVED)  (Read 7737 times)

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
NTFS folder disappeared, dual boot (SOLVED)
« on: May 02, 2014, 03:40:14 am »
A folder disappeared on my NTFS partition. I installed Pepppermint 4 with dual boot, and Windows 7 as the other OS. It was after I booted to Windows that this problem happened. What could be the problem?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:31:42 am by nberidze »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: NTFS folder disappeared, dual boot
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 03:56:24 am »
Hi nberidze, and welcome to the forum :)

Which folder has disappeared ? .. have you tried running a disk check in Windows ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:59:09 am »
I ran a disk check now in Windows. It found many errors. Short version "Some problems were found and fixed." In the long error report by Windows, it says it first deleted three orphan file record segments, then deleted about 20 index entries (naming the files). These files are really disappeared. According to Windows, the files should be in a folder named "Found" somewhere on the disk, but I can't find any such folder.

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 05:09:16 am »
Peppermint is based on Ubuntu, which is known as very safe and well-maintained. I was very surprised that something like this could happen with an Ubunti-based distro. Irretrievable data loss is a strong discouragement for people against using a system.

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:12:37 am »
Hi nberidze, and welcome to the forum :)

Which folder has disappeared ? .. have you tried running a disk check in Windows ?

I have scanned the disk in Windows, and it found errors. Do you have any idea what the problem could be? Are there any known issues with NTFS in Peppermint OS?

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:18:20 am »
Peppermint is based on Ubuntu, which is known as very safe and well-maintained.

That's true

I was very surprised that something like this could happen with an Ubunti-based distro

I'm confused here, Isn't this problem on your Windows partition ??

Irretrievable data loss is a strong discouragement for people against using a system.

I agree I keep telling people never to use Windows but they will insist  :)
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:18:41 am »
I was very surprised that something like this could happen with an Ubunti-based distro

I'm confused here, Isn't this problem on your Windows partition ??

Yes. That is where I save my work, so it can be accessed by both OSes.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 10:05:52 am »
Quote from: nberidze
I have scanned the disk in Windows, and it found errors. Do you have any idea what the problem could be? Are there any known issues with NTFS in Peppermint OS?

No  Peppermnt specific problems with NTFS .. indeed the installer, file system tools, and partition manipulation tools are the same as used by Ubuntu/Mint/Lubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/any other Ubuntu based distro.

ANY .. repeat, ANY partition manipulation carries with it a risk of data loss or corruption.

So resizing of the Windows partition to make room for Linux (any Linux) carries a small risk.

Resizing Windows partitions in Windows carries the same risk, and the risk is multiplied if there are already errors on the file system to be resized..

The installer, like any Windows partition manipulation tool attempts to move any data from the end of the partition to be resized towards the beginning of the partition, then move the partition boundary, but if that data it's trying to move is already corrupt issues get magnified.

Before resizing ANY Windows partitions with ANY tool, it's ALWAYS advisable to first run chkdsk in Windows to check the file system for errors then defrag the partition to move any data towards the front of the partition, then preferably run chkdsk again.

These things happen I'm afraid, and it would likely have happened no matter which distro you installed (they all use the same backend tools for partition size manipulation) .. indeed even if you'd have used a Windows tool for partition resizing it highly likely the same thing would have happened .. which is why you should ALWAYS back up data you cannot afford to loose before ANY partition manipulation.

In the root of your C: drive in Windows, are there now any directories with names like found.000, found.001, found.002, etc. ?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:27:32 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 10:28:37 am »
But the folder and files (on the NTFS partition) which were lost were created after the disk was partitioned.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 10:50:47 am »
Windows has a search feature have you tried searching for them ?
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 11:03:45 am »
IIn the root of your C: drive in Windows, are there now any directories with names like found.000, found.001, found.002, etc. ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 12:48:47 pm »
IIn the root of your C: drive in Windows, are there now any directories with names like found.000, found.001, found.002, etc. ?

You know, I found such a folder just now. I could not see it when I started this thread. I will look through the content, and report back, hopefully all files are there. But I still don't understand why such a thing could happen. Thanks for comments so far.

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 05:52:22 am »
So the files were rescued, and since this one folder is the only thing that was affected I suspect that it had some connection with Wine, as I was running the Windows program JPEGCrops when it happened, and it had output set as the folder which failed.

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 05:54:46 am »
If anyone knows of any Linux program which can do the same effective visual cropping as JPEGCrops, it would be good. But also: why did it happen and is there some plausible explanation?

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 06:46:52 am »
There are many native Linux programs that can crop jpegs Gimp would be one example but if you don't need anything so sophisticated there are many others that can crop such as Mirage or Shotwell to name a few .

Wherever possible it's always better to use native applications , Wine is ok for those applications that has no Linux alternative but that's really quite rare these days.

I can't give you a plausible explanation for the file corruption perhaps some of the smarter guys can help with that

Graeme