Choose style:

Author Topic: Unable to view photo or slideshow dvd's in CD/DVD player(SOLVED)  (Read 3085 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Unable to view photo or slideshow dvd's in CD/DVD player(SOLVED)
« on: September 11, 2015, 08:35:21 pm »
Hello Peppermint people, well I'm checking out the operation of my cd/dvd rom and I am unable to open photo dvds or slide show dvds. I am able to open and listen to music and also document cds.  On the dvds that I'm unable to open the file thumbnail shows the size of the standard cd but when I click on it it tries to open in VLC Player instead of an image viewer. What am I missing?

Code: [Select]
 System:    Host: albert-desktop Kernel: 3.16.0-49-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Six
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: G31M-VS2 Bios: American Megatrends version: P1.10 date: 06/23/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2003.00 MHz 2: 2003.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.16.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-49-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:25:22:e1:d0:95
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (8.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500AAKX size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 222G used: 19G (9%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 147 Uptime: 2:23 Memory: 343.4/4042.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:12:10 pm by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Unable to view photo or slideshow dvd's in CD/DVD player
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:32:53 pm »
Open a terminal and run these 2 commands in sequence
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras ubuntu-restricted-extras libdvdread4
then
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
did that help ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:39:09 pm »
Open a terminal and run these 2 commands in sequence
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras ubuntu-restricted-extras libdvdread4
then
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
did that help ?
Hi PCNetSpec, I ran those two and no go, but this time when I click on the player file it opens and shows all the operating files within the cd and at the top of the page  it says these files are on a dvd with a reference to open with VLC which in turn gives a code that it is unable to read files
What was I thinking?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 11:54:46 pm »
Just to be clear, is this a video you're trying to play or is it a bunch of photos?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 06:52:32 am »
What do you mean by

I ran those two and no go

do you mean the commands didn't run, or that the commands did run but made no difference to playing your DVD ?

that warning from VLC seems to suggest the disk is unreadable (Input/Output error) .. with the disk inserted, what's the output from:
mount
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 06:54:48 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 11:00:48 am »
Hi guys, sifidude79, I am trying to open photo and data files but now I have a new problem, PCNetSpec, I ran the programs, they ran, but made no immediate change. Output from mount is:

albert@albert-desktop ~ $ mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=albert)
/dev/sr0 on /media/albert/ROXIOVCD type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500,uhelper=udisks2)

This morning, I tried again and was able to open some of my photo cds(I hate cds) but not data files or slide show cds. Other photo cds are not recognized. I reviewed all, I think, of my cds before switching hard drives and loading Peppermint 6. I didn't have these problems with the crdom in Peppermint 6 in the other hard drive but I only checked a few cds to bee sure they opened.
This morning I tried to open a slde show cd and this is what appears

I then started changing settings in VLC, like dv/sg0 to dv/sg1 etc. and no changes occurred until I tried to play a video from my video folder and now VLC does nothing. I think I may have to try a purge and reinstall of VLC. So that's where I'm at.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:07:14 am by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 11:20:44 am »
you can reset VLC by running this WITH VLC CLOSED:
rm -vr ~/.config/vlc
then starting VLC will have it back to defaults.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 11:23:11 am »
The problem with some of these CDs/DVDs may be the method that was used to record them.  On the "slide show" discs, are you talking about those discs where someone takes a bunch of photos and puts them onto a disc with a slide show built in and you're supposed to be able to just pop them into a (Windows) computer and play the slide show?  Because, if that's what you're talking about, those often require special software to be installed, usually software that is included on the disc.  Unfortunately, those also tend to only work for Windows because the vast majority of the world seems to believe that everybody runs Windows.   ::)  I may be wrong with this bit, but I don't believe VLC is made to where it can even play slide shows.  I think it's strictly a media player for audio and video files.

If you can't get anything in Linux to play the slide shows, you could try Wine.  If they're the type of discs I think they are, they may have a slide show program on them, but it will be a .exe file that will need to be installed with Windows or Wine.

As for data discs, this too can be a problem with how they were recorded.  Some proprietary recording software can make your disc so that it can only be read by the software that was used to create it.  To use the data discs without the software, they usually have to be finalized. Once a disc is finalized, it can be used in other devices.  Until it is, it's kind of married to the recorder on which it was created.

Anyway, those may be some of your issues.  But, I could also be wrong.  PCNetSpec may be able to help you figure something out.  Issues like this are why I also hate CDs/DVDs for this kind of stuff, but I understand that you probably didn't have any choice in using them for these files.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:25:08 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 11:44:36 am »
If these are just authored DVD's .. try installing gnome-mplayer:
sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer
then see if that can read them

You'll find it in
menu > Sound & Video

But I still think this is an I/O problem more than anything .. which means VLC considers the disks themselves unreadable.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:47:49 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 12:05:07 pm »
Would it be worth copying the files over to the hard drive and try playing them from there and if they refuse to copy over then maybe that would confirm it's an I/O error

It would be useful to know exactly what format these files are

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 01:11:38 pm »
Sure .. VLC should be able to treat a directory as a DVD with menu structure and all

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »
Hi guys, I had posted a quick reply earlier but it didn't publish. After performing the operations PCNetSpec suggested there was no change, but shortly after commenting here I had a power dip for about a second which sd the computer and when it came back up almost all of my cds are now viewable, even the slideshow one. I still have a couple of cds that I think are just no longer any good, file manager doesn't recognize that a cd is in the player on a couple and a couple more show they are blank with 0 free space, so I think they are dust. I did mention I hate cds. So the only other one is the one that shows up in VLC but does not play BUT if I open one of the folders there are the video clips with the suffix VOB and VLC will play those.So I think we're done here guys, thank you so much for your help. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me sooner than later. ;D
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Unable to view photo or slideshow dvd's in CD/DVD player(SOLVED)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 04:14:15 pm »
Cool  8)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec