Author Topic: Software update stability  (Read 1441 times)

Offline stew1411

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Software update stability
« on: November 18, 2015, 12:14:16 am »
So on the software updater it has the updates listed as 1-5 on their stability. 4 and 5 look generally unsafe. So why are they checked by default? Wouldn't it be better to only have it show 1-3 and the user can enable 4 and 5 if they choose? Also, I have 4 and 5 unchecked to show, but a linux firmware update showed up as security, even though it's level 5. Should I stay away from these, as they say can cause system issues? Also, will things that show as unsafe eventually show up as a safer level once they've been tested?

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Software update stability
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:22:18 am »
Hi stew1411

I have been running Peppermint since June of this year and have not touched any setting and just let peppermint run the way the developers have set it up.  If they say it's safe then that is good enough for me.

I have applied every single update and never had a single problem with it.     No doubt someone with a more technical input will answer soon too.   but from a user point of view, I am going with the flow and everything is rock solid.

Hope this helps.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 01:27:21 am »
Hi stew1411,

This issue has already been answered several times in several places in this forum. For example read this posting by AndyInMokum.

In short: do not change any of the settings and go ahead and accept all update levels -- unless you have enough knowledge and sufficient reason to do otherwise (which, if you are asking this questiion, you do not have).

Regards,

--Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:58:45 am »
1) Peppermint uses the MintUpdater (complete with their weird scoring method)

2) Peppermint uses the Ubuntu software repositories

3) As we use the Ubuntu repos, it makes sense we track the Ubuntu update policy not the Mint one.

4) We consider Mints update policy WAY too conservative.
(since when is a kernel update unsafe ? .. it may fix a hardware issue, or add support for new hardware .. and even where there may be a regression you can still boot the older kernel, which isn't removed)

So Mints updater just happens to call them "unsafe" in line with their own update policy, we (and Ubuntu) don't consider them unsafe at all, in fact we consider them "necessary" .. hence our defaults are the same ones as the Ubuntu updater, we only use Mints version through popular demand and because it has the handy system tray applet (shield) and because the Ubuntu updater was broken for some users at the time we were making the choice.
(I underlined "was" because I've now fixed the issue .. we always preferred the Mint updater just not their odd default settings, so we changed them to the Ubuntu default settings .. simplez!)

As Slim.Fatz suggests, we recommend sticking to OUR defaults, not the Mint ones .. erm, otherwise we wouldn't have made them the defaults ;)

If on the other hand you you think we're wrong and you agree with Mints defaults, feel free to change them, but be aware when requesting help on this forum not only will people assume you're using OUR (and Ubuntus) defaults, but so will ALL the other software installed from the default repositories.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:21:25 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:41:52 pm »
These are the updates you're looking for.   ;)