Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Gaming (continued discussion)  (Read 8547 times)

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Linux Gaming (continued discussion)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 10:10:31 pm »
I have two DVD drives, sr0 and sr1 on my system.  Or, as Wine (Windows) identifies them, D: and E:.  They're in the same order as their SATA ports on the motherboard.  sr0 is my top drive and sr1 is my bottom drive, so they mount as sr0=D: and sr1=E.  However, they seem to have gotten flipped somehow.  sr0 appears to now be E: and sr1 is now D:.  It could be Wine, or it could be something else.  I just know it was aggravating.  I was pretty ticked and couldn't figure out why games that were working last night were suddenly telling me to insert the CD when it was in the top drive, until I decided to try the CD in the bottom drive and it worked.   ::)  It just seems a bit odd to me that two different versions of Wine did that, but I've seen odder things.

The Age of Kings is the subtitle for AOE2.  The game is called Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings.  I bought a Collector's Edition at Walmart years ago that came with The Age of Kings, The Conquerors Expansion and AOE Gold Edition, all for $10.  There is a second expansion for Age of Empires II:  The Age of Kings called The Forgotten, maybe that's what you're thinking of.  That wasn't included in my Collector's Edition set because it was just released two years ago.  I think it's designed to go with the Age of Empires: HD Edition that they sell on Steam.  (that's the one where you can play in widescreen)

Playonlinux games automatically get their own menu entries.  The only thing I didn't get a menu entry for was Steam, but that may be because I have a menu entry already for the Linux version of Steam.  (the second Steam entry is an SSB I created that goes directly to the Steam Store ;) )

So far, AOE2 and The Conquerors expansion are all I have installed with POL, besides Steam.  Unfortunately, some games I have aren't on the list of games that POL can install.  I'm going to either have to drop them or take my chances with regular Wine.  (some I already know don't work)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 11:25:08 pm »
if you can somehow unmount one of the optical drives or turn it off in menu>preferences>disks, perhaps it will stop showing in wine and the swapping problem will go away :D Perhaps wine does that it's very rare for computers having two optical drives :P I had two optical drives in my first PC. I bought it in 2001 and CD/DVD writer wasn't available in the market I guess and they only installed the CD/DVD reader. after a few years, when the DVD writer became a necessity, I bought it and fixed it on my PC. however I couldn't throw the old one away, so I had two optical drives. physically recognizing them was easy because the old one was white and the new one was black. (that was the time when computers started coming in black, not white anymore).

yes I told you about this HD edition. but I downloaded the HD edition for free. It was the official site and it said that anybody with Age of kings can download the HD version and forgotten Empires. that was in 2014. :) Age of kings was the main AOE2? I thought that conquerors expansion came first because it lacks some AI elements which Age of kings have.

Thanks for the screenshot. it's cool that these games show as separate apps on the menu. You can download "menu editor" and easily move games from the wine submenu to "games" :)

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 12:52:58 am »
The drive without a disc in it isn't even mounted.  I really don't know why it decided to make the one that had a disc in it E: instead of D:.  It's just one of those weird things.  I only have two DVD-RW drives because one decided it wanted to be stupid about burning discs, (not always working) so I got the second one for burning and I use the other one for reading discs.  Though, my Antec 600 gaming case has room for three optical drives.

I already knew about the HD version of Age of Empires II, I've seen it plenty of times on Steam.  I just mainly ignore it because I have the CD edition.  I don't mind playing it in a 1024 x 768 window.  With that type of game, I don't necessarily need HD graphics.

Yes, according to Wikipedia, The Age of Kings is the main game, The Conquerors is the first expansion they released.

There's no need to install anything to have menu entries, all you need are .desktop files.  In order to have menu entries in the Games folder for Wine stuff, all you have to do is get the .dekstop files from the ~/.local/share/applications/wine/program folder/ directories and copy them to ~/.local/share/applications.  Then you just have to edit them in the text editor and add a category line for them like so:

Code: [Select]
Categories=Game;

Then you get nice menu entries in your Games folder, instead of having to go through the Wine subfolders.  I did that for Age of Empires, Age of Empires Expansion, RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe and RolllerCoaser Tycoon 2 Triple Thrill Pack:

Sure, they also have menu entries in the Wine subfolders, though I could get rid of those if I wanted to.  ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 03:11:19 am »
That's a lot :o my DVD writer drive has some issue. it reads disks very slowly. I had trouble installing Peppermint that's why. the installation demanded more speed than the speed provided by the DVD drive. however, it went on a bit slow but steady and Peppermint got installed successfully. maybe it has gone dirty from the insider. I might have to get it cleaned or buy a new one that may have higher speed.

1024x768 resolution is okay but 1366x768 resolution is a must if you have a wide-screen monitor. However the maximum resolution available in AOE2 non-HD is 1024x768 and it was pretty decent. the HD version of AOE2 is just HD by name. it doesn't enhance the graphics or anything...it just let's you play in a higher resolution and the population limit has been increased. you can even play with a pop cap of 1000 :P but that'll make your computer hang.

I tried to edit my menu entries like that with gedit adding an extra line. but It didn't work. I don't know why :( Menu editor works like a charm for Me. it also has a restore system configuration option if you want your menu to be like just how it was before using menu editor :D

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 09:05:54 am »
Yeah, you could try cleaning the drive.  Though, if you need a new drive, they're not very expensive.  You can get OEM DVD-RW drives on NewEgg and similar sites for about $20 USD.  That's not bad at all.

Playing AOE2 in 1024 x 768 isn't bad.  Sure, I'd like higher, but such is life.  I could go 1280 x 1024, but I don't know how well that would work on my 1600 x 900 monitor in a window (probably not too well.)  One thing I have issues with in Wine is stuff scaling properly in fullscreen, I think it has to do with Wine plus Nvidia graphics.  (fun, fun)  So, I run most of my Wine stuff in a virtual desktop, which is why I get stuff like AOE, AOE2, the RollerCoaster Tycoon games and most everything else that's "square" in windows and not fullscreen.  I have no issues like that with my other stuff that needs to scale up to fullscreen on my monitor but isn't capable of HD resolutions, such as my DOSBox games.  It's just Wine that does that.  But, it works, so I can't complain too much.  Running some of these games in Wine is still better than running them in Windows 7, window or not.  ;)

If you like that menu editor, that's great.  I always say people should use what makes them happy.   ;D  I have no issues making menu entries with the text editor, but I also have a lot of experience in Peppermint.  I've been using it (off and on) since 2010.  I'm used to digging into text files to configure things, but I understand that not everybody wants to do that.  That restore function sounds handy.  The only way to do that without the menu editor is to have made a backup of your panel file found in ~/.config/lxpanel/Peppermint/panels/ before you changed it.

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 10:01:28 am »
Computer gaming can be really interesting sometimes.  I have games from 10 years ago that won't run in higher than 1024 x 768 resolution.  Meanwhile, I was just playing a game from 1997 in 1600 x 900.  As far as I know, it hasn't had an update to make it "HD," it just works in that resolution.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 10:14:13 am »
That's a good price for a DVD writer. in earlier days, they used to cost a lot. I still remember how my friends and relatives used to come to my place to copy their CDs and DVDs. not everybody had a DVD writer back then :P I saved money for months to buy one.

on second thought, I often come to hear that a lot of modern laptops and desktops come without a DVD drive. is it true? because they make use of USB instead? if that's correct, I might even invest in buying a lot of 4 GB pen drives. say about 5 and install my favourite distros in them. and then some 16-32 GB pen drives to store my data and games etc. All my CDs and DVDs got damaged. I don't know why. I had disks of windows xp, 7, lubuntu, elementary os, puppy, parted magic etc. but all of them stopped working. they wouldn't even show up as an optical drive. perhaps it's the humid weather here or my leather CD case which is more than 10 Years old. or maybe the CD and DVDs I bought (I buy from the same shop) were crap. and the last time, I tried reinstalling Lubuntu, I ended up losing all of my partitions. my games, isos, songs, movies got deleted. perhaps it was because my Lubuntu CD had got damaged and the installation became crazy. I didn't have backup as well. now I have started downloading all those songs, distros and my favourite movies again. and perhaps I would make no mistake by buying any more DVD/CDs from that shop or not storing my data in DVDs anymore. But in pen drives perhaps. what do you think? is it a good idea? will that keep my data safe forever. I'll keep them pen drives wrapped in a plastic bag with silica gel packet in a vault :D

getting back to the topic, thanks for reminding me of DOS BOX. isn't it the emulator for the early 90s games written for ms DOS? I remember wolfeinstein and elders scroll daggerfall and a few other DOS games which were pretty solid :)

So can you run DOS BOX inside wine and play DOS games? cool! :D

Actually you know, you're right :) maybe I should try learning to move apps within the menu in the gedit way. menu editor is too easy and I want to learn more and more about linux. although I've been a Linux user for more than a year, I'd still be considered a newbie. for some reason, a newbie always like his things to be easy like that in Windows. A Linux user shouldn't be like that. he should always strive hard to learn more and more about linux and try doing stuff in a different way :)

BTW aren't there square shaped monitors still available these days? ;D perhaps wine will look good with them considering how it renders most games in a square window :D

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 10:51:27 am »
Your average desktop and laptop should come with a DVD drive, if not Blu-Ray.  Blu-Ray is the reason the DVD drives are so cheap now.  They're the high end drives, whereas DVD is considered "inferior" technology.  (though, last time I checked, Blu-Ray doesn't work with Linux)  I think it's just smaller laptops and netbooks that don't come with DVD drives, but I could be wrong.  I haven't computer shopped in ages.  I built my desktop and I have a second desktop that someone gave me, all I had to do was replace the motherboard in it.  And, my laptop is from 2012.  With streaming and software downloads being the hot ticket these days, I really don't know what they're doing with computers.

No need to run DOSBox in Wine, it's available in the repositories.  It can be used for games going all the way back to the early '80s, though some of those games from that far back were made for really slow CPU cycles by today's standards, so they won't run on a modern CPU without tweaking DOSBox's configuration, which is easy to do.  Anyway, to install DOSBox, all you have to do is this:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install dosbox

You really want to run it native because I've heard Wine and DOSBox don't mix too well.  ;)

GOG and Steam even sell old DOS games for PC, Mac and Linux that come with DOSBox already configured to run them.  If you saw Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem II in my Games Menu, those were both purchased on GOG and came with shell scripts for installation in Linux.  Both of them run in DOSBox, along with some other stuff I have on there.

As far as I know, all you can get are widescreen monitors these days.  I still have an old CRT monitor in a closet, just in case my LCD goes out.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:54:25 am by scifidude79 »

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 11:11:45 am »
Here you go, a little DOSBox happening:

I have the game Star Wars: Dark Forces on Steam, but it's Windows only even though it runs in DOSBox. GOG has it for Linux, but I don't want to buy it a second time.  So, I just downloaded the files and copied them to my /home folder and I can run it manually in DOSBox.   8)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 12:09:50 pm »
in that case,  I will stick to my DVD writer drive  :P and if it goes out someday, my pen drives will come to the rescue  8) :D The last time I bought a computer was in 2009. and that's it. I played a lot of games and did computer stuff on my friends' laptops and PCs. I never considered computers a necessity even though i need to use CAD. This computer was lying at some corner of the house while I was away for about 5 years. I got it repaired and got XP installed. I used FreeCAD (a free alternative to AutoCAD) for a lot of projects. Turned out, FreeCAD is available on Linux too  :) ;) I think about getting a new laptop or PC but each and everyday, something new comes up. Had I bought a laptop about 2-3 years ago, I would have paid the same price for Core i3, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB graphics and 500 GB HDD which gets you a core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2 GB graphics and 1 TB HDD these days. So I am still sticking to this PC until I figure something out  :P

DOS had some really good games, i will install DOSBOX for sure and Wine+POL too as soon as I finish downloading all my games. I ;lost around 120 GB of data. I gotta get it back.

You can play "Elder's Scroll : Daggerfall" on DOSBoX. It s considered as one of the best games in this series. I read that some modders have been trying to re-make this game for modern PCs. I hope they release it for Linux. The makers of Elder's scroll have also released a good game series called Fallout. I havent played FallOut completely but I was once playing Fallout 3 randomly on a bud's laptop and it seemed like a first person simulation game. The game starts with the protagonist getting botn, getting older...all from first person perspective. But it is actually an open world  first person shooter.

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 12:16:57 pm »
Yeah, FreeCAD is in the repositories.  I think there may be a few other CAD programs in there too, or at least there used to be.

One thing I like to do is watch sites like Steam and GOG to see which of those old DOS games are making a comeback.  i especially like GOG because they seem to be better about releasing them for Linux than Steam is.  There are a few Star Trek and Star Wars games I want to get on GOG because, unlike the Steam versions, they work in Linux.  :)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 12:33:57 pm »
According to Wikipedia, only 1.8% of all computer users use Linux on their desktop/laptops. Perhaps this is why a lot of major games (AOE, GTA, Far Cry, Assasin's Creed, Crysis, Call of Duty etc) are still not available on Linux :( It's good that those DOS games are making a comeback. I am thinking of downloading handheld consoles emulators like GBA, NDS, N3DS for linux and play those games on PC. Maybe linux gamers have to wait for another 5-6 years until major games are released for Linux. :) Until then, emulators/wine/dosbox  :D

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 01:28:07 pm »
Some major companies are already making games for Linux.  Batman: Arkham Knight is supposed to be out for Linux in a couple months.  Hopefully, that release will go better than the Windows one did.   ::)  Unfortunately, a lot of game companies do ignore us.  And, even when they do new releases for Linux, it's hard to get them to do ports of their older stuff.  What I hate is when game 2 or 3 in a series are available for Linux but the preceding game or games aren't.  That totally sucks.

It will be interesting to see what effect Windows 10 has on gaming.  It was Windows 8 and their crappy interface that pushed Valve to look into Linux.  Maybe Win10 and the multitude of problems it has will get more companies looking our way.  One can only hope.

Emulators are nice.  If I remember correctly, there's a nice Nintendo 64 emulator in the repositories.  Plus, NES, SNES, GameBoy and various others.  And, there's always M.E.S.S., the Multi Emulator Super System.  Though, I've never been able to figure that thing out.  To me, the name says it all; it's a mess.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 01:59:20 pm »
Really? Arkham knight releasing for linux! that's a great news :D if I'm not wrong, these batman games have won a lot of awards, haven't they? I haven't played the game personally but checked out this game on various sites and watched the gameplay trailer.

Like I told you in the previous thread, "Dying Light " too was released for Linux (along with PC and consoles). it's a major game and it's predecessors Dead island series gave been praised. And just like you said, they released Dying Light but they'll probably never release it's predecessors for linux :(

I never used Windows 8 but I did hear from a lot of people that it looks like a "lumia" but it sucks. Then 8.1 was released and it had a start button. I don't know if it worked out well. most of my friends use either 7 or XP (still) to play games. :)

Wish there was a ps2 emulator for linux. :) do you know any?

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 02:19:47 pm »
Here you go, this is supposed to be the best PS2 emulator, though I've never used it:

http://pcsx2.net/

At least it has a Linux download.

Windows 8 is a crock.  It has a tablet style interface, which most people don't want on their computers.  The "Start" button in 8.1 just launches the big tablet style interface.  I don't know if you've ever tried Ubuntu's Unity or Gnome-Shell, but it's a lot like that.  When you go to open a program, you get a giant tablet-style screen with all of your programs at once, as opposed to a normal menu structure.  Though, unlike the Linux equivalent, there's no way to add a regular menu to the Win8 interface.  Fortunately, I never owned a computer with it, but I used it when I helped my grandma set up her Win8.1 computer.  I hate it.  Win10 doesn't look any better.

The Batman games are pretty cool.  I have Arkham Asylum, which I really liked, Arkham City which, for me, has a weaker story that I was disappointed with, and Arkham Origins.  The only one I haven't played all the way through is Origins, though it seems pretty solid.  It was made by a different company than the first two, but Arkham Knight was made by the same company as the first two, Rocksteady.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:23:24 pm by scifidude79 »