Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Gaming (continued discussion)  (Read 9570 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Linux Gaming (continued discussion)
« on: September 07, 2015, 02:09:52 pm »
OK, this is a continued discussion from this thread, which really isn't the proper place to be having this discussion.  Unfortunately, I got a bit carried away in the discussion and didn't realize sooner that we should have split off into our own thread, rather than continuing to hijack that one.

:D Playstation 2 is a great console, really. I heard it can also be made into a probable computer using a Linux CD (by Sony), keyboard and mouse. It suffered a lens problem and it's still there inside my closet.

I have finished playing San Andreas till the last mission and I loved it. The story, the characters, the humour, I loved em all. some missions were too hard, so I had to use cheat codes for help :P

My tablet came pre rooted as it was from a cheap local brand. However the stock ROM had bugs like wrong battery info, no GPU support for games, awful UI). So I installed a custom ROM. and I tried on installing custom ROMs until one day, it took its last breath and stopped turning on. Then I gave it to a repair guy who made me a good offer for it. he gave me a pre owned repaired PS2 console in exchange for my bricked android tablet. seemed like a good offer, so I took it. the PS2 worked good until it's lens got damaged. it wasn't modded either. :(

Kindle uses a customized version of android right? and perhaps uses their own app store (amazon). I have always dreamt of buying a device with stock android (as offered by Google). but nexus devices are don't fit my budget and local brands don't fit my satisfaction. Motorola uses stock android. I'm thinking of getting a Motorola after I am done with my Xperia :D

I didn't know you could do that with a PS2.  You used to be able to install Ubuntu on a PS3, but Sony stopped supporting that feature.  Still, if you can get a disc for it, it can still be done.  The console will just be "banned" from the Sony Online service.  Similarly, there is a way to install Ubuntu on an XBOX 360 (kind of like giving M$ the finger ;) ) but it will also get the console banned from XBOX Live.  But, it's an interesting idea that you can turn gaming consoles into regular computers.  I think there was someone on the old forum who had built a Peppermint machine using the case from an original Nintendo.  Of course, the innards were different, but that's to be expected as a computer from 1985 is nowhere near up to snuff for running a modern OS.  I also saw once where a college (I think) took a few hundred PS3 consoles, put Ubuntu on them and linked them together to make a supercomputer.  It was awesome.

I like and don't like the GTA games.  I'm not overly fond of the missions and story as much as I am just running around doing whatever.  I used to have a GTA:SA save where I had gotten to the second city but, alas, that was on Windows and even on a different computer.  I've not played the PS2 version that far.  I do have all three islands unlocked on GTA3 and all of the ones on VC, but those are easier to do as you don't have to do *all* of the missions.  You can actually skip some and still unlock all play areas.  I hate how those games lock parts of the map and, starting with SA, you have to do every single mission (including dancing and racing ::) ) in an area before moving on.  I hate that.  I have the second big island unlocked on GTA4 on the XBOX 360, but I haven't played any missions in that area yet.  Fortunately, there's no dancing or racing that you have to do in that one.

Exchanging a bricked tablet for a PS2 is always a good deal.  I no longer have my original (big) PS2, but I have a slim one I bought used several years ago.  Great investment.  I like how the drive bay opens by opening a door, there are no drive gears to strip.  When I was in the Army, we had three different PS2s over in Afghanistan.  The sand kept getting into them and they stopped working.  We eventually wound up cannibalizing all three of them to make one that worked.  I wonder if the slim version, which wasn't out then, would have had those issues.  I don't think it has a fan like the big one did, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:51:17 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: Linux Gaming (continued discussion)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:39:30 pm »
Here it is. Linux for Playstation 2 released in 2002. it was a good idea but Sony discontinued it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2

I think people with old consoles will feel relieved because they can use their consoles as computers. Gaming is evolving year by year. They don't make games for PS2 anymore and perhaps, will stop that for PS3 in a few years. Playstations are backward compatible, so newer Playstations can run older games too. the prices have now dropped for many PS2 titles.

those dancing missions were painful in the beginning but I started enjoying them. I took days to pass that car dancing mission. and about the car races, I used to type the "cars fly" cheat which made all cars fly away. and then I slowly moved towards the end line (if I move fast, I'll get flown away too) :P There is a character in GTA SA which links it to GTA III. even though SA came after III, but it is actually set in 1992 (around 9 years before the events of GTA III).  I wouldn't tell you the name of the character because it will be like a spoiler :D according to most gamers, GTA SA was the best game of the series until now. There was a rumor about the release of a HD ENHANCED edition of San Andreas,  but it never came out. :(

my PS2 Is a PS2 slim. it's small and thinner than the bigger PS2. the lens is highly sensitive. Mishandling or dust can damage it easily. perhaps that's what happened with mine. I was trying to clean off the lens with colin and then it stopped reading my DVDs. (I got 3 original DVDs free too).
I was planning to buy a PS4 but after doing some "console vs PC" reading on the Web, I'm thinking of using the money to build a gaming PC instead. PS4 games Cost a lot and there's no chance of Piracy (lol) and mods. :P However everything is possible on a PC. :D ;D Some of my gamer friends still use Windows XP to play games on their computers. according to them, XP is the best OS for gaming ever.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 08:40:17 pm »
Well, I certainly wasn't doubting that the PS2 could do Linux, I just said I never heard of that.

Nobody who is smart throws away a PS2, because only certain PS3s are compatible with PS2 games.  It was only two or three models of the first line they did and none of the smaller version, I think.  I don't really know, as I don't have a PS3.  But, I know not all were backward compatible with PS2 games.  However, the PS2, PS3 and probably PS4 are backward compatible with PS1 games, so you really don't need a PS1 anymore.  (I still have one, though)

The XBOX backward compatibility is similar, though any XBOX 360 with a hard drive can play original XBOX games, not just certain models.  You only need the HD to store something for that feature, I think.  Though, a 360 without a HD sucks anyway, so I don't even know why anybody would want one of those.  Mine has a 60GB HD.  Though, there is still a catch to even the 360's backwards compatibility.  Not all games are compatible with it and some don't run well with it (much like backward compatibility in Windows. :)) )  This reason above all is why I still have an original XBOX.  I can play games like Halo 2, which never got an HD upgrade on the 360, only on the XBOX One and only if you bought the entire Halo collection.  Well, that's a crock as I don't have (or want) an XBOX One and I already have Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 3 and Halo Reach for the 360.  I'm not buying all of those again and an XBOX One just to have Halo 2 redone in HD.  But, that's Microsoft for you.  Also, it's good to keep an original XBOX around for fun stuff like the original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and some other games I love from that era.  Though I don't love Windows, I still love me some XBOX.  :)

If I ever get another console, it will probably be a PS4.  Though, I can't afford that right now.  I was looking at the upcoming Steam Machines, but those need to drop in price a lot for me to consider them.  I'll build a gaming PC in a media case and hook it up to the TV before I'll buy one of those.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:31:34 pm »
And there are a lot of games for PS2 which were not even released for PC. For example, the God of War games. I received a free DVD of GOW2 with my console. i tried to find it's PC version after my console broke, but could only find a ported PC version and it sucked  :-[ I miss the no lag, smooth gameplay on PS2 and the vibrating joysticks. Gaming on computeris fun as well but I have seen that even some high spec PCs fail to render certain games well. like this buddy of mine has got a heavy computer and it's a water-cooled one(because it gets extremely hot). It plays "GTA V", "Watch dogs" and other high graphic PS4 quality games but fails to run "Mafia 2". perhaps its a GPU compatibilty issue or windows XP problem.  That's perhaps not an issues with consoles. Most games are originally made for consoles and they run those games like charm.  8) I just don't like the high prices of consoles though. PS2 still costs around 120 US dollars in the markets here. that's too much for a console which plays old generation games. most middle class people can spend on a gaming-only device if it costs much lesser than that. PS4 costs a lot too. not to mention all those original gaming DVDs which cost so much.

windows has a compatibility option to run certain older apps but it doesn't work evey time. like Windows 7 cannot display some XP-era games in widescreen. The compatibilty option doesn't work. :( I loved "Halo "2 especially the cute aliens  :P and the gun which displays how much ammo is left. "Halo" franchisee  is by microsoft right? They only release their games for windows and XBOX. I played a game called "UNVANQUISHED" on PC which is an independent and free game. It's like Halo where you gotta kill some aliens. but it doesnt have a story. it's a multiplayer game. if there are no other players, you can create bots.

Make sure you get a water-cooled PC  :D it'd probably get extremely hot after playing heavy games and the fan wouldn't be able to lower the temperature. I know some guys who game on older PCs and they have overclocked their CPUs.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 02:32:47 am »
Well, there are a lot of games for any system that are only available for that system.  Otherwise, there would be no need to have 3 major console manufacturers (and a few minor ones) and PC game makers, right?  Everybody would just use the same thing.  ;)  But, yes, there are a LOT of games for the PS2. Some are PS2 only.  Plus, I like to keep my PS2 around not only for the PS2 games but for the PS1 games also.  Though, going back to the beginning of video gaming, I'm sure there are way more PC games that were never released for any of the consoles than there are games that were released for console only.  And, you can probably combine all of the consoles and that will still be true.  There are more computer games released in a year than there are games for consoles.

Most of the time, console games work as intended on the console, unless they're made by a 3rd party who did a bad job of making it work on that system or it's a bad port.  I have a game for the PS2 where the cut scenes run like crap.  Though, admittedly, the game sucks anyway, but that's not the point.  If it had been properly ported to the PS2, it would work fine.  It's from 2009, which was right around when they stopped releasing games for the PS2, but that's no excuse.  But, the vast majority of console games do run on the system(s) they're released for.  But, I still like gaming on my computer.  It's fun.  But, I mostly know how to choose games that will work with my computer, unless the maker does a bad Linux port or something.  Then you have to wait for them to fix it.  ::)

Windows compatibility sucks.  Some stuff will work, other stuff won't, even with compatibility settings.  That was what I meant.  Games that were never designed to work in widescreen won't work in widescreen without a graphics upgrade.  But, if you have a decent GPU, it will automatically put black bars on the side and you'll be fine.  ;)

And, yes, Halo is from Microsoft's Game Studios and Bungee and later 343 Game Studios.  Microsoft actually does make a pretty decent game, I have quite a few of their games for XBOX, XBOX 360 and even PC.  And, oddly, Microsoft games seem to work fine in Wine, more so than some other studios' games.  Maybe it's because Wine is already designed to emulate Microsoft software.

As for water cooled PC, meh.  I'm an avid PC gamer and I do 3D CGI and I've never needed water cooling.  In fact, my main desktop's processor has a stock cooler on it.  It works fine.  Though, I also don't overclock.  I also have an 8-core processor that only the aforementioned 3D CGI and a few other things can push to its limits.  ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 04:30:39 am »
Yes you're right. there are more PC games then there are games for consoles. and independent game makers too, make games for PC most of the time. I buy a gaming magazine which comes with a free DVD containing game demos, trailers and free indie games. though lagging behind in graphic quality, they have a good story and pretty decent gameplay. I was viewing some articles on the Web which said how console sells have been falling. more and more gamers are switching to PC gaming. consoles have limitations. a PS3 owner will have to buy a PS4 to play PS4 titles. the PC owner has to just invest some money on the hardware. the first is replacing, the second is upgrading. upgrading is more economical than replacing :P

about the graphic quality, I think the PC gamer has more options to tweak a game's visual settings. and he can also change the game's resolution and graphic settings from ultra to low depending on his hardware. :)

I don't think wide-screen problem in older games is a graphics issue because the same machine rendered games like "AGE OF EMPIRES 2" in wide-screen but a half cut screen in Windows 7. besides the visuals in the game got affected. the water and the grass got filled with red and white dots :( Users have to download a patch to rectify this problem. Windows is backward compatible but sometimes it has its own issues ;D Microsoft then released the HD version of Age of Empires 2 in 2013. it corrected all colour issues and wide-screen problems permanently.

and Microsoft does make quality games. Age of Empires 2 and 3 are my favourite strategy games. Then there was "gears of war". :)

Perhaps your CPU is on a heat sink which keeps it cool. I think any temperature below 40 degrees keeps it safe. overclocking raises the temperature and also degrades the CPU's life. :) BTW this is the world's most expensive computer right now and it's fully water cooled ;D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 11:49:53 am »
Of course you can get better graphics on a PC.  You can completely customize it and buy the latest graphics cards every 2 years or so and stay way ahead of consoles.  A console will be locked with whatever it has for life, which was outdated by the time it was released.  That's one thing people are griping about with the upcoming Steam machines.  They're built more like consoles and some won't let you upgrade your graphics.  (my answer is: quit whining and just don't buy one ;) )  Another thing that used to make a difference was the TV, as old picture tubes can't get the resolutions that PC monitors can, but HDTVs take care of that.

The widescreen thing really depends on the game.  I installed a game from the Windows 95 era recently that allowed me to select 1600 x 900 as a resolution.  However, I have games from 10 years ago that won't go over 1024 x 768.  Age of Empires II may have been programmed for higher resolutions, despite its age, other Microsoft games are.  Halo: Combat Evolved for PC was released in 2003 and I used to play it in 1600 x 900.  I'm attempting to get Age of Empires II working with Wine right now, I'll see what resolutions are available when I do.  Right now, I can't get it to launch.   :(

Another thing that can make a difference as to what resolutions are available is your graphics card.  Different cards will behave differently with games.

My CPU has the stock AMD heatsink & fan that came with it.  That's all I've ever used for it since I installed it.  It runs well within temperature limits.  Granted, if I'm doing a CGI render, the fan gets really loud, but the processor stays cool enough.  I also have three case fans in my computer.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:53:02 am by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 01:19:57 pm »
some graphics cards are so expensive. i was once searching for graphics cards on a shopping site and there was one which was even more expensive than PS4  :o  :-\ Perhaps it will not get oudated for the next 10 years. playing on TV is fun actually especialy with a good sound system. Do modern computers come with a HDMI port like in laptops? PS2 can also be connected to a TVs HDMI port using some cables which you can easily find online. the AV wire that comes with the package is okay with picture tube TVs but not quite okay with HD Tvs.

can you run some patches on wine? I installed a patch in GTA San andreas and it made the graphics quality a little better. I dont know how it did that but perhaps increased the draw distance and made the shadows darker and longer. You can see if there is some patch to fix AOE2 launching issue. Else you can get AOE3 which has much better HD-like graphics and a lot of civilizations to choose from. my favorites are the Native American ones (from the war-chiefs expansion). The other expansion Asian dynasties was pretty good too, but they made the Japanese civilization  almost invincible :)  8) .

well then you dont need to worry about heating at all :) I dont need to, as well because my CPU is so slow  :P

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 01:52:33 pm »
some graphics cards are so expensive. i was once searching for graphics cards on a shopping site and there was one which was even more expensive than PS4  :o  :-\ Perhaps it will not get oudated for the next 10 years.

Yes, indeed.  That's why I'm still rocking a card from 2010.  And, it wasn't exactly new then either,  paid less than $70 for it.  "Legacy" driver or not, it's a good card and I'll change it when it starts failing.  A top of the line card today should keep you going for many years to come, so it should be a solid investment for people who have that kind of cash to throw around.

playing on TV is fun actually especialy with a good sound system. Do modern computers come with a HDMI port like in laptops? PS2 can also be connected to a TVs HDMI port using some cables which you can easily find online. the AV wire that comes with the package is okay with picture tube TVs but not quite okay with HD Tvs.

Yes, playing on TV is indeed fun.  I would eventually like to build a system for doing that.  Most modern PCs have HDMI ports, as do all graphics cards from the past several years.  Also, HDTVs usually have a VGA port, but that still won't be as "HD" as HDMI.

can you run some patches on wine? I installed a patch in GTA San andreas and it made the graphics quality a little better. I dont know how it did that but perhaps increased the draw distance and made the shadows darker and longer. You can see if there is some patch to fix AOE2 launching issue. Else you can get AOE3 which has much better HD-like graphics and a lot of civilizations to choose from. my favorites are the Native American ones (from the war-chiefs expansion). The other expansion Asian dynasties was pretty good too, but they made the Japanese civilization  almost invincible :)  8) .

As far as I know, you can install patches on Wine.  I'm not usually a big fan of patches.

Unfortunately, with AOE2, I don't know what the issue is.  The "Collector's Edition" original disc just gives me an unspecified error when I try to launch it, whereas the Conquerors expansion disc just does nothing.  It's puzzling.  The game has Gold and Platinum ratings on the WineHQ, including in Ubuntu 14.04 and Mint 17.1, so it's a conundrum.  It could be an issue with my graphics card, or something else.  Oddly enough, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, which uses the AOE2 engine (the game is AOE2, but with a Star Wars theme) runs great in Wine.  So, I dunno.  I could try Playonlinux to see if there's a "recommended" Wine version to use for it.  Even though I'm not a POL fan, I do love that game.  I can also dig into Winetricks and see what I can do.  I'd really like to get the game running because real time strategy is my 3rd favorite game genre after RPG and FPS.

I did get Age of Empires Gold working, though.

:)

well then you dont need to worry about heating at all :) I dont need to, as well because my CPU is so slow  :P

That sounds like my laptop. It occasionally gets a little warm, but never hot.  ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 02:33:45 pm »
An investment which proves to be useful for years. also desktops are much better gaming machines than laptops because they can be upgraded easily. :)

yes they do. the port like the monitor. but the video quality will not be as good as it is on HD or more. very soon, games will support resolutions upto 4K. that'll require a heavier graphics card, more RAM and a 4K monitor Or TV.

is that gold edition of "age of Empires 1" in the picture ? strategy games also enjoy a high place in my favourite genres. Age of Empires, Rise of nations, Empire earth, age of mythology etc. cool! a Star wars strategy game? I didn't know one existed :) I did play startrek armada once. and there is another game called warzone 2100 (also available for Linux and in peppermint software center). it's a good strategy game as well with interesting campaign. Age of mythology is a spin off of AOE2, but it focuses more on ancient civilisations which worshipped greek and norse Gods (like Thor, odin, loki, Zeus etc). there are so many mythical creatures which as playable units like frost giants, dragons, trolls, unicorns etc. and a big huge titan who is more like the game finisher. ;D

Age of Empires 2 and 3 (especially 3) bring a lot of good old memories. I was in college back then and I would play for 5-6 hours straight. Playing with a partner as team while taking the strongest civilisation in the game (Japanese) as enemy in expert mode is fun. Me and my roommate used to play like that. the enemy would destroy everything within 10 minutes of the beginning of the game. but we'd hide our villagers in various parts of the map gathering resources, building town center, farms etc in corners occasionally facing attacks. and once we gathered enough resources, we'd create a mixed army. it was total fun!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:36:48 pm by sk_sarma »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 02:57:15 pm »
Yes, that is indeed the original AOE (or AOE1) Gold Edition in the picture.   ;D  As far as I know, there's only ever been one Star Wars real time strategy game, Galactic Battlegrounds, though they did make a few turn-based strategy games.  Star Wars: Empire at War is turn-based.  I believe there was also one called Star Wars: Rebellion.  There may be more.  I prefer RTS, but turn-based can be fun too.  In fact, I have Empire at War, I should see if that works with Wine.  :)

I figured out the issue with AOE2 isn't an issue with my desktop, because my laptop does the same thing.  I need to figure out what it is.  I'm going to try Playonlinux next.

I never had AOE3.  I'd buy it now if I still bought Windows games, but I don't.  I only support PC games that work with Linux now.  There are a few strategy games for Linux.  In fact, if you don't mind older and indie games, check out Warzone 2100 (old game getting more recent updates) and MegaGlest in the repositories.  MegaGlest is a lot of fun, it has a cool Medieval theme to it, whereas Warzone 2100 is futuristic.  I don't remember if Warzone 2100 has a campaign, but I don't think MegaGlest does, it's all matches with various user made maps.  But, it's fun.  And, the best part about both games is that they're completely free.   8)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »
I'm getting a new respect for Playonlinux.  I installed it, uninstalled AOE2 and then used POL to install AOE2 and it runs great.  Heck, it looks better than it does in Windows 7.

Windows 7 has some graphical glitches (red grass, purple water) in this game where you have to Alt+Tab out of the game, kill the Windows Explorer, and then go back to the game.  There's none of that in Wine, the graphics look great.  The highest I can get the resolution is 1280 x 1024, but that's no biggie for me.  I'm just glad it works.  Now I just need to use POL to install the Conquerors expansion.  :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:19:30 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 01:41:31 pm »
I was never a big fan of turn based strategy games. I used to play a GBA game called Advanced Wars, it was turn based and it sucked! I wanted to try "Sid Meir's Civilization" game series but my friend told me it's turn based too. Age of Empires is probably the best ever real time strategy game series! I liked another game called Empire Earth. it has a lot of ages. From dark ages to nano age where you can create war robots and drones. I heard that the Later versions of Empire earth weren't so great.

warzone 2100 had a campaign when I used to play it on windows about 5 years ago :) You have to install your base on a planet, create those tanks, factories, research facilities etc and slowly wipe out the enemy territories on the planet followed by getting control of the oil rigs. I gotta play it again as it is available on Linux. this game is a legend!

I used to do that kill explorer trick on windows 7 :P but that wasn't a permanent solution and it didn't solve the narrow screen issue. but it did work. patches were helpful though but patches have disadvantages. patches generally contain viruses and once installed. they latch on to your system and creates systemwide chaos :D anyway, AOE 2 HD solved every issue however it requires the installation of the "Age of kings" expansion pack. you can also install a new expansion pack called "Forgotten Empires" which includes Indian and Slavic civilisations.

PlayOnLinux does a commendable job even though it's just a front end for wine. and it makes it easier for new users to install their favorite windows games and apps on Linux. but I failed to make it work :(

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 02:33:58 pm »
Actually, even though I'm not a turn-based fan either, I liked Advanced Wars.  A friend of mine at Ft. Bragg got me started on that.  But, yeah, usually I prefer real time strategy games.  The same goes for RPGs.  I hate that thing where you have to move all of your players one at a time in a "turn," then repeat, repeat, repeat.  ::)  Real time movement with turn-based combat is a little better, but I'm still not overly fond of it.  I hate having my characters just standing there getting hit when they can be hitting back.  Plus, the computer always seems to get "turns" more quickly than my characters.  But, having said that, I still like stuff like the Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star games.  They have real time movement with turn-based combat.

I'm going to have to install Warzone 2100 again.  I used to have it installed a few Linux versions back, but I haven't added it to P6 yet.  I don't know if you like sim games, but there are also a few of those in the repositories.  The original Sim City is even in there, but it's not called Sim City due to copyright issues.  After Maxis released the source code for Sim City, the guy who had been hired by them to make the official Linux port released it too, it's called Micropolis.  I have it installed.  Then there's also Lincity and Lincity-NG.  Lincity is a lot like Micropolis, whereas Lincity-NG is a more advanced version with better graphics.  Then there's also openttd, if you like Transport Tycoon Deluxe.  (too bad there's not a Linux equivalent of RollerCoaster Tycoon ;) )

Age of Empires is definitely king of the heap as far as RTS, though I also love the SW version, Galactic Battlegrounds.  Though, after I installed the Conquerors expansion, I started it and it started right up.  However, POL then asked me if I wanted to install an update patch, so I hit "Yes."  After that installed, it wouldn't start.  So, I deleted it, reinstalled without the patch, and the game works fine and I played for quite a while last night.   :-\

Playonlinux is more than just a front end for Wine, it actually decides which version is best for what you want to run.  For example, it installed AOE2 with Wine 1.6 and Steam (the windows version, obviously) with 1.7.3.  I'd previously tried Steam with the Wine version in the repositories, which is 1.6.2.  (odd that AOE2 wouldn't work with that but it would with 1.6 on POL  ??? )  Anyway, with Steam installed with the version in the repos, it would launch but I couldn't see any text.  So, I used POL to install it and it works great.  I already installed 3 of my games that aren't Linux compatible, Bioshock, Judge Dredd: Dredd VS Death and Freedom Force.  Only Freedom Force gave me some graphical glitches, but I ran it in a virtual desktop, selected my native resolution in game, and now it runs fine.  Also, for some silly reason, the in game audio was disabled, but all I had to do was enable that.

One odd thing about Wine, all versions I have installed, is that, between last night and today, they seem to have switched which of my DVD-Rom drives is D and which is E.  That threw me for a loop.  Though, I suspect that's got something to do with how the system identifies them, though I don't know why Peppermint would have swapped them.  It's odd, to say the least.   :-\  (this is why I prefer downloaded games on the computer these days)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 09:14:26 pm »
:P I too detest it when my units are characters are getting hit by the enemy units and I can't do nothing. this actually, limits the capabilities of the player. in RTS games, you can play sandbox style. I still remember how I used to make a huge army of only paladins in AOE2 because they have a large attack and HP. they are fast, resistant to conversion and can destroy anything within seconds. sometimes I would even send some villagers near enemy territory discreetly and build an army base there, regularly sending soldiers to disturb the enemy's resource gather process.

I love simulation games too :D I used to play SIMS. 3 a lot. and I have also played Sim city. on android I have played everything from Sim city, the Sims to goat simulator and crocodile simulator :P it's a good news that Sim city is available on the repositories. I like how we can make full use of our imagination and ideas in simulation games. Farm simulation games are my favourite too. I used to play Farmville 2 online regularly until I left Facebook forever.

Perhaps you can try installing the another AOE2 expansion called "Age of kings". it came later than conquerors expansion and it has a few things added. new civilisations, villagers not sitting idle but doing things that are happening around them and much more. this expansion pack is a must if you want to Install the official HD version and the forgotten Empires expansion.

I don't think that Linux can misread a CD/DVD drive because it shows internal HDD as sda, USB drives as sdb and optical CD/DVD drives as sr. but wine definitely has some issues and maybe this is why you're facing this problem. I think windows recognizes a drive just by its letter name as C, D, E etc. perhaps you inserted a pen drive or something which gave it the letter name of the CD DRIVE ;D

One thing I gotta ask is that PlayOnLinux appears in the submenu of "Games". can we make every single game on POL appear on menu separately? like suppose you have installed 10 games on POL, can you make them appear as 10 different entries in the menu (submenu of games)