Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 6 Respin with full UEFI support and a new version of Ice released  (Read 9167 times)

Offline jjimenez650

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six 64Bit
Re: Peppermint 6 Respin with full UEFI support and a new version of Ice released
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 07:07:29 pm »
Thank You!!!peppermint team & all others involved/affiliated,Fantastic Release! ICE is a very interesting and revolutionary concept..keep up the awesome amazing work may you all enjoy continued success & blessings.~

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Peppermint 6 Respin with full UEFI support and a new version of Ice released
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 07:16:10 pm »
On behalf of Team Peppermint thanks very much jjimenez650, and welcome to the forum :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline paulus

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 + 9
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 02:05:16 pm »
OK the easiest way to add the Peppermix-Dark theme tweaks without risking screwing up the original would be for us to download another theme called Peppermix-Dark-Respin from my dropbox that contains all the tweaks (including a new tweak that turns the calendar text to light grey, which isn't in the respin) then switch to it.

So open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
cd /usr/share/themes
then
sudo wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31525164/Peppermix-Dark-Respin.tar.gz
then
sudo tar xvf Peppermix-Dark-Respin.tar.gz
Now go to

menu > Preferences > Customise Look and Feel > Widget (tab)

in the left hand column select "Peppermix-Dark-Respin" and click the "Apply" button.

Fixes:-

Remove the leftover xfce4-power-manager-data:
sudo apt-get remove --purge xfce4-power-manager-data
Now to fix the Window-Shot duplication...

Run:
gedit ~/.config/peppermint-control-center/xbindkeys.conf
find the section that reads:
#Print Screen
"scrot 'Screenshot_%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S.png' -e 'mv $f ~/Desktop/'"
    Print

#Print Window
"scrot -u -b 'Windowshot_%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S.png' -e 'mv $f ~/Desktop/'"
    Alt+Print

#Print Window
"scrot -u -b"
   Alt + Print

#Screen Lock
"lxlock"
   Control+Alt + l
and remove the second "Print Window" entry, so that section now reads:
#Print Screen
    Print

#Print Window
    Alt+Print

#Screen Lock
"lxlock"
   Control+Alt + l
SAVE the file and exit gedit.

Back in the terminal run:
sudo gedit /etc/skel/.config/peppermint-control-center/xbindkeys.conf
find the section that reads:
#Print Screen
    Print

#Print Window
    Alt+Print

#Print Window
"scrot -u -b"
   Alt + Print

#Screen Lock
"lxlock"
   Control+Alt + l
and remove the second "Print Window" entry, so that section now reads:
#Print Screen
    Print

#Print Window
    Alt+Print

#Screen Lock
"lxlock"
   Control+Alt + l
SAVE the file and exit gedit.

Now do a Full system update:
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get upgrade
then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and finally REBOOT.

That's it, your system is now the same as the Respin .. the only difference is the 64bit version of the respin can be installed on UEFI systems, and the respin ISO image has the minimum disk space requirement lowered, but these are things that are solely applicable during installation so only really apply to the LiveCD ISO image.

Hi PCNetSpec,

Really great that you shared this with us! 8) Your description was so nice and fitted all the way: this is so much appreciated by me! :)

I still have a question: in some applications, e.g. LibreOffce Writer and Thunderbird the background color is sometimes too dark to be able to read the text that is on it. In LibreOffice Writer it is possible to customize some elements of the program, but NOT the area that is hardly unreadable! :(

But also in Thunderbird: e.g. the list of the address book, that is depicted in white and grey lines: one white, one grey, then one white again, etc. The grey lines are extremely hard to read.

How could I alter the settings of the nice respin theme, in order to make these background elements less black, so that the text can be read. Of course a solution in customizing the color of the text in those dark backgrounds could also make the difference.

Thank you very much in finding and sharing a solution!

Kind regards,

paulus

Offline paulus

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 03:13:36 pm »
Hi All

New video up and done on the fab new respin congratz to all who contributed to the best distro on the planet.

Cheers

LinuxHelpGuy

Hi LinuxHelpGuy,

Nice that you're on the forum of Peppermint OS! ;)

I really enjoy your always enthusiastic reviews of Peppermint OS! It's always so great to see AND hear the way you are talking of it! I like that so much: I always get enthusiastic myself by hearing your reviews! :)

And I couldn't agree more with you: Peppermint OS is really "stunnin'", as you so nicely express it!

I have a question: the red icons you showed in your review are so magnificent: how and where did you get these? How could I also get these very nice icons?

Thank you for responding, and I wish you all the luck by making much more great reviews: I am a great fan of you! 8)

Kind regards,

paulus

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 03:49:34 pm »
Paulus,

If you look at this customization youtube video by LHG I have added below, he shows where to get the icons you are asking about.  Peppermint 6 is the BEST.   :)

Offline paulus

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 04:35:35 pm »
Paulus,

If you look at this customization youtube video by LHG I have added below, he shows where to get the icons you are asking about.  Peppermint 6 is the BEST.   :)

Hi jlschwartz,

Thank you so much: I watched this review, learnt so much more, and now have that same nice red icons installed! :)

paulus

Offline paulus

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 08:20:36 am »
Hi PCNetSpec,

Really great that you shared this with us! 8) Your description was so nice and fitted all the way: this is so much appreciated by me! :)

I still have a question: in some applications, e.g. LibreOffce Writer and Thunderbird the background color is sometimes too dark to be able to read the text that is on it. In LibreOffice Writer it is possible to customize some elements of the program, but NOT the area that is hardly unreadable! :(

But also in Thunderbird: e.g. the list of the address book, that is depicted in white and grey lines: one white, one grey, then one white again, etc. The grey lines are extremely hard to read.

How could I alter the settings of the nice respin theme, in order to make these background elements less black, so that the text can be read. Of course a solution in customizing the color of the text in those dark backgrounds could also make the difference.

Thank you very much in finding and sharing a solution!

Kind regards,

paulus

I still did not recieve an answer on the question above: is it possible to alter the theme? The normal customization options don't reach the problems I described, so how could I resolve mentioned problems?

As a matter of fact: after comparing the new respin theme with the older theme, I cannot discover any differences. Could anyone point out where exactly I could see the differences? In the configuration, customizing, I could not see any difference in parameters.

Thanks for helping!

paulus