Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 6 Respin with full UEFI support and a new version of Ice released  (Read 8707 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
http://peppermintos.com/2015/09/peppermint-6-respin-with-uefi-support-released/

Team Peppermint are pleased to announce a respin of our latest operating system Peppermint 6 with full UEFI / GPT / Secureboot support (64bit edition only), and a new version of Ice (our in house Site Specific Browser framework) that now supports the Firefox web browser as well as Chromium / Chrome.

We’ve fixed a few minor bugs, and tweaked the Peppermix-Dark theme a little in line with user feedback

All updates to the original Peppermint 6 respin are also included in the respin

The Peppermint 6 feedback we’ve received so far has been overwhelmingly positive (thank you), so we’ve not made any major software or UX changes this time around, we hope you'll enjoy the respin and would love to hear any feedback.

Peppermint 6 respin (Peppermint-6-20150904) hightlights:-

•     The primary change (and the reason for the early respin) is the 64bit version now has working UEFI and Secureboot support on disks with a GPT partition table .. allowing easy installation of Peppermint 6 64bit alongside Windows 8/8.1/10 in dual/multi boot configuration on GPT disks, or just installed on its own without needing to switch to legacy BIOS mode (CSM) and disable Secureboot.
  •     We’re pleased to announce a new version of Ice with added support for the Firefox web browser (alongside Chromium and Chrome) .. allowing the creation of SSB’s that open in a Firefox window without the usual toolbar/address-bar/tab-bar clutter and neatly integrating them into the system menus, thereby putting web applications on an equal footing with locally installed applications as far as system integration and appearance.
  •     We’ve made some slight tweaks to the Peppermix-Dark theme:-
        a) Switch from a striped background in the menu to a plain dark gray lightly textured background.
        b) Switch from a striped background in the Nemo file manager left hand panel to a plain dark gray lightly textured background.
        c) Removed alternating row striping in the Nemo list view (Nemo file manager and Synaptic package manager, etc.).
  •     The respin includes a few minor bug fixes and tweaks:-
        a) Minimum disk space requirement for installation adjusted to 3.8GB (for EeePC users with 4GB SSD’s, and people that want to do a full non-live installation to a 4GB USB stick)
        b) The removal of the unnecessary xfce4-power-manager-data package (left over from our switch to mate-power-manager).
        c) Removal of the duplicate “Window-Shot” keyboard shortcut action that caused focussed window screenshots to be saved twice (once on the desktop and once in the users home directory).
  •     e) Includes all updates to date.

The ISO Images are now available at
http://peppermintos.com
Currently torrents are disabled .. they'll be added as soon as we have them.

NOTE:-

Users of the original Peppermint 6 will receive the new version of Ice as an update in a day or so .. there is no need for current Peppermint 6 users to switch to the respin unless you want UEFI support.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:39:26 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
Quote from: perknh
Still I think Linux's biggest hurdle is hardware.  From Windows 8 on up, it's getting harder and harder for Linux users to piggyback off of computers that were originally made to run Windows.

Getting Peppermint onto newer UEFI/Secureboot hardware is about to get MASSIVELY easier ;)

PCNetSpec, this news is really a treat to hear.  Heck, I would have been happy with UEFI support coming to us next April.  This is a wonderful surprise. :)

Thank you,

perknh 
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Thanks perkh .. we decided to get the UEFI support out the door as quickly as possible, Peppermint 6 was just out of reach for some people and that just didn't feel right.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LinuxHelpGuy

• nOOb
  • Peppermint Addict
    • View Profile
    • LHG's Youtube
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Fantastic job all well done ill do a video on it this week thanks to everyone for all their effort and hard work.
LinuxHelpGuy
Never Rub Another Man's Rhubarb

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Cheers LHG :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Great going, Team Peppermint!  UEFI support has been a major issue for a lot of Linux distributions, so this is a massive hurdle.  Also, I'll have to try the new ICE with Firefox support once it hits the repository.   8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Yeah I can't stand Chromium/Chrome so Firefox support in Ice is a big improvement for me :)

[EDIT]

I'll try to push it to the repo tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:36:00 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I don't hate Chromium/Chrome, I just prefer Firefox.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
I don't hate Firefox, I just prefer Iceweasel.  LoL   :D

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:34:32 pm by VinDSL »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Whatever floats your boat.   8)

Of course, all IceWeasel is is Firefox rebranded because Debian doesn't feel that Firefox with its trademarked logo constitutes "free" software.  So, it's really still Firefox, it's just not called Firefox.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: Peppermint 6 Respin with full UEFI support and a new version of Ice released
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 11:08:39 pm »
Great news! Wish I had enough RAM to run the 64-bit version :)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Re: Peppermint 6 Respin with full UEFI support and a new version of Ice released
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 11:49:06 pm »
Yeah I can't stand Chromium/Chrome so Firefox support in Ice is a big improvement for me :)

That goes double for me!! I can barely wait for it to become available. And the UEFI fix is tremendous for those looking for a new computer or wanting to try Peppermint Six for a while alongside their Windblows installations.

Great work, Mark -- and whoever else was involved!  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, awesome, Openbox, i3, JWM

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 12:40:20 am »
Great news! Wish I had enough RAM to run the 64-bit version :)

If you have a UEFI computer, it should be perfectly capable of running 64-bit.  If you don't have UEFI, you don't need to worry about this respin anyway.  ;)

If this is the computer you're talking about, you don't need to worry about it.  UEFI wasn't even a thing in 2009.

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin x64
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 06:45:47 am »
PCNetSpec... Will I need to re-install to get all the fixes or can I upgrade my version...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:08:43 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P9Respin x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 06:57:51 am »
Most of the bugfixes, and all the updates will come to the original version of Peppermint 6 via updates

As will the new version of Ice with support for Firefox. <-- This has now been added to the repo, so running a system update will pull it in.

The only things you won't get are

a) UEFI support .. this needs to be built into the ISO itself, and can't be backported to an already installed system.

b) the tweaks to the Peppermix-Dark theme .. we won't release this as an update, because it would change peoples current appearance settings (and we don't do that .. it could cause confusion for peoples menu/nemo panel to just suddenly change)

c) the fix for the duplicate window-shots .. we can apply that as an update (and probably will) but it won't get applied to already created accounts, only to newly created accounts.

If you want a tutorial on how to manually apply (b) and (c), let me know.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:18:51 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec