Choose style:

Author Topic: Black Screen Solved by down grading kernel  (Read 4143 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Black Screen
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 11:35:06 am »
The only difference between 5 and 6 (as far as hardware goes) is the later kernel version and updated graphics stack.

We have 3 options here...

a) Stick with Peppermint 5

b) Try the new Peppermint 6 respin (which has a slightly more recent kernel than the original version of Peppermint 6, but it's still in the same kernel series)

c) Try either downgrading the Peppermint 6 kernel to the one used in Peppermint 5, or upgrading it to say the one used in Ubuntu 15.04

The only other thing that *might* make a difference, is the change in power manager.

You could always try removing the mate-power-manager
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove --purge mate-power-manager
then install the xfce4-power-manager (as used in PM5) in its place
sudo apt-get install xfce4-power-manager
there are a couple of other little things that might need undoing .. but see if that makes a difference first ?

I'm now thinking this isn't a power up issue, it's that it's not fully shutting down......
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:56:38 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): I've used 4,5,6,7,8,9
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 02:27:13 pm »
I tried the xfce4 power manager with no positive effect. Same old same old. I remove the xfce4 and went back to mate.

Option a is always there. It nice to have a fall back.

Option b seems to be the easiest at this time but has no guarantees. Another "might" work.

Option c  I'm guessing will be quite extensive CLI-ing.   

I would be willing to try the respin(?)  first to see if that has any effect. FYI the HP 110-3518cl is 32 bit
A little knowledge is dangerous, I'm proof of it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 09:16:53 am »
In reality there's 4 options there (option c has up and down grade options)

The easiest would probably be to first try UPgrading the kernel on your current installation .. let me know if you wanna try this

next would be to try the respin

then lastly, downgrade the kernel .. this is best done from a fresh install of the original Peppermint 6 prior to applying any updates (I haven't tried it from the respin, but theoretically it should be the same), I've got the instructions in a file somewhere.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 09:45:42 am »
So while I'm waiting around I read the announcement about the respin dated Sept. 6. The link to the iso. took me to the download page. Would it be correct to say that if I made the iso to install Pm6 on Sept 8 that I installed the respin already. If I did all the update,upgrade,dist-upgrade stuff wouldn't that have updated to the respin.If so then the respin did not work.

If the above statement is correct that leaves only two options. Option A: I put back the 250 GB HDD and wait for Pm7 to arrive and hope that *might* solve the issue without ever really knowing what the problem was. And

Option all OTHERs: Where I would need guidance. I am willing to try if you or anyone else that moderates this forum would like to walk me though it.

I have to agree that for whatever reason it doesn't shutdown fully and is hung in limbo with the AC power plugged in. Why? What is different about that netbook AC power vs. battery vs. the OS when it comes to shutting down?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 10:43:49 am »
if the ISO image is named -

Peppermint-6-20150518-xxxx.iso  =  Original Peppermint 6

Peppermint-6-20150904-xxxx.iso  =  Respin

If you downloaded the file after the official announcement, then you should have the respin

I have to agree that for whatever reason it doesn't shutdown fully and is hung in limbo with the AC power plugged in. Why? What is different about that netbook AC power vs. battery vs. the OS when it comes to shutting down?

the only thing I can think of is some kind of weird kernel or xorg regrsssion

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 01:20:44 pm »
I Installed Peppermint-6-20150904-i386.iso  =  Respin

So that leave 2 options: upgrade or downgrade the kernel.
Pick one.
I'd love to get this netbook working with the AC correctly.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 03:30:28 pm »
Try this in the respin:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-core-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-vivid libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-vivid
then REBOOT. <-- IMPORTANT that you reboot before testing the shutdown

Once rebooted, post the output from:
uname -a
then see if shutting down works properly

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 04:45:49 pm »
as requested:
uname -a
Linux buzHP 3.16.0-48-generic #64~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 20 23:03:49 UTC 2015 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

No it did not work  :'(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:50:53 pm by Ralph »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 05:34:26 pm »
for some reason you're not on the newer kernel .. do you get any errors if you run this:
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-vivid xserver-xorg-lts-vivid libqt5gui5 libgles1-mesa-lts-vivid libgles2-mesa-lts-vivid libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-vivid libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-vivid:i386 libglapi-mesa-lts-vivid:i386 libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-vivid

if not, REBOOT, then post the output from:
uname -a
and if that now says you're on the 3.19 kernel .. try the shutdown thing

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 07:17:30 am »
A thousand apologies. I did what I accuse others of - not reading. You made it a plane as day to REBOOT :-[

So here is: ~ $ uname -a
Linux buzHP 3.19.0-28-generic #30~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Sep 1 09:33:32 UTC 2015 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Unfortunately it did not work. :'(

I did not enter your last code. 

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 01:04:02 pm »
So with kernel 3.19 and 3.16 not working and no reply here, and with the suggestion from earlier replies I set out to try and downgrade the kernel myself. I found on the internet that the best way for a rookie to accomplish this task is with the Synaptic Package Manager. In the list under "kernel and mode" was a long list. On that list was 3.13.0-63. Checking another Pm5 install that was the kernel it was using. So I ticked the boxes to download. I rebooted and loaded the grub menu and chose 3.13 from the menu. After it finished loading I checked to make sure I was running 3.13. It was. I tried to shutdown and restart. It worked but upon checking the kernel again I was back on 3.19.  On one of the forums here Mr.Vindsl suggested using the Package manager to remove unwanted kernels. So I did. It worked.  :)
So now Pm6 starts just like Pm5.  Now how do I setup the kernel to accept updates such as from the command line update,upgrade,dist-upgrade,etc. without trying to update the kernel? :-\
Should I be asking that question in a new post under software? TIA

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 01:15:26 pm »
What's the output from:
dpkg -l | grep linux-image

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 02:45:47 pm »
What's the output from:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
ii  linux-image-3.13.0-63-generic              3.13.0-63.103                           i386         Linux kernel image for version 3.13.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-extra-3.13.0-63-generic        3.13.0-63.103                           i386         Linux kernel extra modules for version 3.13.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
rc  linux-image-extra-3.16.0-37-generic        3.16.0-37.51~14.04.1                    i386         Linux kernel extra modules for version 3.16.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
rc  linux-image-extra-3.16.0-48-generic        3.16.0-48.64~14.04.1                    i386         Linux kernel extra modules for version 3.16.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
rc  linux-image-extra-3.16.0-49-generic        3.16.0-49.65~14.04.1                    i386         Linux kernel extra modules for version 3.16.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
rc  linux-image-extra-3.19.0-28-generic        3.19.0-28.30~14.04.1                    i386         Linux kernel extra modules for version 3.19.0 on 32 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-generic                        3.13.0.63.71                            i386         Generic Linux kernel image
[close]

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 03:00:09 pm »
You're good to go as you are .. you will automatically receive updates for the 3.13 kernel series just as Peppermint 5 does.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 04:02:51 pm »
I have three more things that I do on a regular basis.
apt clean
apt autoclean
apt autoremove
Is there anyone of them I should not do?
Other then that, once again I thank you very much for all your help. I can honestly say that I don't think I would be using any linux if it weren't for someone with your patience and understanding and skill. This Peppermint distro is very lucky.