Choose style:

Author Topic: Black Screen Solved by down grading kernel  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): I've used 4,5,6,7,8,9
Black Screen Solved by down grading kernel
« on: September 06, 2015, 01:38:31 pm »
I have a HP mini 110-3518cl. It came with a 250 GB HDD and  was running Peppermint 5 with no troubles.  I have a 128 GB Plextor M5 PRO  SSD that I took out of another machine running windows. My goal was to swap the two drives and install Peppermint 6 on the SSD in the HP netbook. I made my USB iso drive and install P6. Here's the problem. When I shutdown and try to restart the HP sits there. The light that indicates power is plugged in, shines. The orange light for the wifi comes on. The power button switch is a slider switch on the side of the netbook also lights, and the fan runs, but P6 will not boot up. No error messages occur. Keyboard is unresponsive,  If I hold the power button on four 5 seconds or so it shuts down. Turning the switch on again I can boot normally into P6. If I choose to reboot P6 loads just fine.  I can shutdown P6  and pull the power supply cord out and immediately plug back in and restart P6 normally.
What I tried.
Removed SSD and put back the 250 GB HDD with P5 and powered up and down three times with no issue.
Removed 250 HDD and installed a 500 GB HDD then installed P6 on it and had the same issue as with the SSD.
Any ideas on what I could try next? TIA
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:06:34 pm by Ralph »
A little knowledge is dangerous, I'm proof of it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Black Screen
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 03:27:18 pm »
Does the BIOS POST screen display on the occasions that it doesn't boot ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 04:53:11 pm »
No

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 09:30:35 pm »
it's a hardware/BIOS problem then ..

is the SSD formatted correctly ?

Are there any HDD settings in the BIOS such as AHCI ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:25:53 am »
Well I thought the same thing at first. So why does the 500 HDD do the same thing?  I also have an old Pentium 4 running on a 2002 or 3 an Intel mobo. The bios on that board doesn't offer AHCI. I plugged a Samsung 840 Pro in it and loaded Pm6 and it runs just fine. In fact I'm using that old machine to respond. On the HP website I found out that the netbook can run a SSD so I checked the Insyde bios that is on the HP and I can't find AHCI on it either. I looked for a bios update but could not find one, so I just went ahead and tried it as it is newer than the Pentium. When it didn't respond to the cold start that is when I tried a different HDD.
is the SSD formatted correctly ?
Using Windows disk management I formatted the SSD.  Also when prompted at install I checked erase disk and install Pm6. I don't know if that is correctly formatted.

Also I noticed that the netbook monitor's ccfl's don't light after a complete shutdown and then restart what I call a cold start.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 08:12:12 am »
If the BIOS isn't even initialising the hardware it CAN'T be an OS/software issue .. the bootloader hasn't been loaded yet.

it MUST be a hardware issue.

If you think about it, the OS can have zero influence until the HDD/SSD has been initialised and at least the bootloader loaded into memory and executed.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:15:21 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 08:46:45 am »
Thanks for your time and help. The only thing that changed is the hard drives. Both drives were working coming out of their respective machines. I certainly don't understand why a WD2500BEKT works and a WD5000LPVT doesn't.  :-\  I guess it is a question that only the HP people can answer.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 09:19:03 am »
Weird innit ?

is there anything in the BIOS about reset CMOS data or clearing the DMI pool ?

Have you tried a BIOS reset ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 02:35:59 pm »
The bios only offers a reset to factory defaults which I tried with no success. There really isn't a lot to that bios. It does offer a hard drive and memory checker. Ran that all okay.   The HP website to me is useless.  Tried emailing them for help or ideas and I don't know if they got the email. Seems like an endless loop. Would love to get that SSD to work as anything to help that tiny Atom work faster would be great. I'm going to go back and see if there is a way to reset the cmos.
What is draining the power doing that allows it to boot properly?  >:(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 04:29:43 pm »
What is draining the power doing that allows it to boot properly?  >:(

What do you mean by that ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 04:36:27 pm »
It will boot to Peppermint 6 without a hitch if I pull the plug out of the socket and plug it back in again and turn the power switch on. Or if I hold the power switch in the on position for five seconds until it turns off than turn it back on again.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 04:41:52 pm »
Does it power up and shut down properly without the battery attached ?

[EDIT]

Have you tried removing the battery and power lead, then pressing the power button (to discharge all power in the motherboard capacitors) .. then reconnecting the battery and power lead, then booting ?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:47:05 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 05:08:49 pm »
The battery is in the fridge. I rarely use it.
Have you tried removing the battery and power lead, then pressing the power button (to discharge all power in the motherboard capacitors) .. then reconnecting the battery and power lead, then booting ?
I'm not sure I understand.  The AC power supply is external. There is a male end that pushes into the side of the netbook. If I remove that after a shutdown and reinsert it immediately Peppermint 6 will load without any issue. If I don't do that it will not load at all, just like previously described.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 09:06:27 pm »
OK, have you tried it with the battery IN ?

I'm kinda out of ideas here .. this is the weirdest hardware behaviour I've ever heard of, and I've seen some weird stuff from PC's over the years  :-\
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:09:12 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ralph

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 09:40:57 am »
This morning I loaded Pm5 on a USB drive and installed on the WD5000LPVT which previously contained Pm6. It started up and shutdown just like the WD2500BEKT, the stock drive that came with the HP mini 110 and had Pm5 installed. So using the same Windows machine that made the Pm5 stick, I made another copy of Pm6. Installed it on the sameWD5000LPVT Hdd that I installed Pm5 this morning. That did not work. I was back to the same issue that started this query.

With Pm6 installed, I followed directions and installed the battery. So with the battery installed and the AC power adapter plugged into the netbook I tried to shutdown. Same issue happened on startup.

So I pulled the AC plug out so as to run only on battery and Pm6 shutdown and restarted without an issue several times.
Plugged the AC back in again while Pm6 was up and running and shutdown and the black screen issue came back.

So 5 works just fine all the way around and 6 works with battery only .  What should I do? What would you do? :-\