Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 7: Exploring the idea of adding one new icon set to our next release  (Read 6616 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hello Team Peppermint,

After getting beat up for the umpteenth time over at the Linux playground called Ubuntu, I decided get myself out of there and take another look at what our upstream friends at Deban were doing with the Xfce desktop environment  --this time over at SolydXK.  While there I discovered there was something there I knew I liked, even though I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.  Then it dawned on me what was affecting me so positively:  It was its icon set. 8)

Apparently the default icon set that is used during installation at SolydX is called Evolvere Vivid Sunken.  Well, I found it to be extremely attractive, so much so in fact that I actually installed its entire PPA to my own Peppermint 6 installation -- all for one set of icons!  That's why I'm sharing here what I've discovered there with my friends here at Peppermint --the Evolvere Vivid Sunken icon.

I'm wondering now if this particular icon set might be a welcomed addition to our next release --Peppermint 7. :-\

I do have to say this style of icon looks very nice in Peppermint 6's default panel --especially with the icons on our Application Launch Bar.  The files also look attractive too. ;)

For anyone interested, here's more about it:

http://www.noobslab.com/2015/03/evolvere-icon-suite-available-for.html

perknh
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:53:11 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
It's beautiful

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hello sk_sarma.

I agree with you.  It is a beautiful set of icons.  The set stands on its own as a digital work of art.

Thank you sk_sarma.  Welcome to Peppermint Linux OS and its own very vivid forum. :)

Welcome!

perknh

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Thank you Perknh.  :)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Hi perknh

Yeah I agree, I think our current stock of default icons are looking a bit dated and boring, my preferred icon set at the moment is nouveGnome and I have it installed in all my PC's

What looks best will always be subjective but I have to agree Ivolvere Vivid Sunken looks good and would make a good addition to a new set of Icons for PM7

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Nice Topic for discussion perknh

We will all have our own subjective view point on what looks good and what not; rather than overload a system with multiple choices, why not make it easier to install icon sets etc from downloaded zip files.    Have a GUI facility to install them in the right place etc.

I for one h8 going into to the terminal to put things in the right place.  I don't really need to know all that... and just want an OS that is easy to use and play with.

The purists among us can still do things the "right" way, but those of us who aren't interested in learning that side of the OS and just want to USE it and from a Newbie point of view would be very helpful.

Now the question is then  "where do you stop"? Do you spend more time developing "Lazy Boy" tools or developing the OS.   Only The Development Team will be able to answer that one :)
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Sure, I'm certainly open for suggestions, I was giving serious consideration to a new icon set for Peppermint 6 but didn't really have time to test one.

I'd "like" something in red(ish) to fit with the Peppermint colours, but it's not a necessity .. in fact it might be over the top, I dunno until I see it, at this point it's just an idea in  my head.

So sure .. show me your suggestions for 7 and I'll take a looksee.

People considering putting "flat" icons forward should know I hate the "flat look" ;) .. that said I don't mind some of the monochromatic icons, and if the flat look icons are nice enough I suppose I may be convinced to change my mind.......
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
why not make it easier to install icon sets etc from downloaded zip files.    Have a GUI facility to install them in the right place etc.

I for one h8 going into to the terminal to put things in the right place.

There already is one...
menu > Preferences > Customize Look and Feel > Icon Theme (tab)
then click the "Install" button and point it at your icon theme archive.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:38:25 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
The Ivolvere icons...

I don't like the monochromatic small icons .. they don't mix well where there are no icons so it inherits them from the gnome icon set .. it means you end up with a mix of monochromatic and coloured icons in the system tray and menu.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
The GUI is already there.  In this example, I'll use: nouvegnomegray_by_tsujan-d4ytv8m.7z that was downloaded from: http://gnome-look.org/.  To unzip this format you'll need to install:
Code: [Select]
apt install p7zip
Assume the file is downloaded to your, Downloads folder.

Double click on the .7z file opens the Extraction Window.  Highlight the folder and click Extract in the task bar.

A new window opens, from where you choose you target.  In this case I'm choosing: ~/.icons folder.

Clicking Extract makes the archive manager run and when finished you can click on: Show the Files.

This confirms that nouvegnomegray_by_tsujan-d4ytv8m.7z has been extracted to the, ~/.icons folder as: nouveGnomeGray.

Open up: Customise Look and Feel, click on the: Icons Theme tab and nouveGnomeGray is available from the list.

As you can see the GUI is already there.  There was no terminal needed and it's simple and intuitive.  If you want the icons to be available to multiple users.  First open the file manager as Root.  You will now be able to extract the icon theme to: /usr/share/icons  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hello sk_sarma, emegra, zebedeeboss, PCNetSpec and AndyInMokum,

Thank you for all or your responses.  See, this process for me happened to me on what I could only call a subconscious level.  Because of my desire to leave Ubuntu, but knowing darn well it was going to be hard to beat the Xubuntu Xfce experience, I downloaded and installed on flash drives live versions of both Mint's Xfce edition and SolydXK's Xfce edition.  Then my brain told me I ought to to install Mint --after all, it has everything in it.  But, for whatever reason, it didn't work for me.  Then I installed Solyd X, and it did work for me --although I still wasn't understanding why.  Then, slowly, it dawned on me that it was the subtle beauty of Solyd X that was pulling me in, even though the distro would require more initial configuration than Mint.  Well, it finally hit me it was the iconography within the distro that was affecting me so deeply.

Now, I am not trying claim because of this personal discovery of mine that I now have the ultimate word on matters of taste.  The Prussian philosopher, Immanuel Kant put that discussion to rest in the 18th century.  Taste is a personal matter, and not to be augured over.  Also, I agree with zebedeeboss that the correct way to go about having more icon choice within a distribution is NOT to download lots and lots of PPAs.  No, it belongs at the developmental level.  That is why I placed this topic here in Development.

What I hope I'm conveying here, is that the visual appeal of a distribution can affect us without us even knowing it --and icons are a subtle part of this appeal.  I was always quite happy with the icons of my application bar within Peppermint.   But when I saw what happened when I changed mine, I had to report in. 

Now that I'm interested in this subject, I'm going to take at the nouveGnome icon set that emegra is using.  I'm also going to revisit the work of another talented Peppermint artist, this time the work of robertsala and his magnum opus entitled PEPPERMINT CORVETTE EDITION

What I've learned here is that Icons really do make a difference --even if the user doesn't realize it right away.

Thank you, everybody, for all of your thoughts on this subject. ;)

perknh

[SECOND EDIT]

P.S.

The Ivolvere icons...

I don't like the monochromatic small icons .. they don't mix well where there are no icons so it inherits them from the gnome icon set .. it means you end up with a mix of monochromatic and coloured icons in the system tray and menu. --PCNetSpec

PCNetSpec, I know what you mean now --yes, you're right about that.  I can live with that issue, but I agree, it's not right.

And, to everyone in general, there are loads of different icon themes from which to experiment.  I have found that by installing this one Evolvere Vivid Sunken theme to Peppermint 6, the entire user interface has had wonderful transformation.  It doesn't hurt, either, that mrs.perknh likes it too! ;D

But here are some other choices I have seen from It's F.O.S.S and maketecheasier worthy of exploration too:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2015/09/10-best-icon-themes-for-ubuntu-1504.html

http://itsfoss.com/best-icon-themes-ubuntu-1404/

https://www.maketecheasier.com/5-beautiful-icon-themes-for-linux/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:46:43 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Sure, I'm certainly open for suggestions, I was giving serious consideration to a new icon set for Peppermint 6 but didn't really have time to test one....People considering putting "flat" icons forward should know I hate the "flat look" ;) .. that said I don't mind some of the monochromatic icons, and if the flat look icons are nice enough I suppose I may be convinced to change my mind.......

This icon theme is much more developed than Evolvere icons (which still lacks smaller icons).  Yes, they're flat, but round and colorful.  This Numix Circle icon theme really has helped bring my installation of Peppermint 6 to life --with the Crux or Peppermix-Dark widgets.

Anyway, feel free to check them out.  Their price is right! :)

http://linux.softpedia.com/blog/Numix-Circle-Icon-Pack-for-Ubuntu-Is-Simply-Gorgeous-431326.shtml

Offline Dave_D

• nOOb
  • Often wrong, never in doubt. Now with more Cowbell
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
I like icon design that are less graphically complex . While Evolvere Vivid Sunken is cute, its still a lot of stuff going on for a little square area.

What about this set http://snwh.org/paper/icons/? Looks like it has great potential.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I like icon design that are less graphically complex . While Evolvere Vivid Sunken is cute, its still a lot of stuff going on for a little square area.

What about this set http://snwh.org/paper/icons/? Looks like it has great potential.

HI Dave_D,

I know what you're saying about an icon being too busy, but, in part, it was the Evolvere Vivid icon set that got me to choose SolydX when I felt like exploring an Xfce distribution.  I choose SolydX in part over Mint's Xfce because of the way it looked.  I'm more and more convinced that these various icon sets have subtle effects upon us when we go about choosing any distribution.  I like the minimalism I see with the paper icon set which you've found and which is still in development.  Another minimalist icon set I've found is called Menda-Circle, which is used over at Manjaro, but I don't know away to bring that icon set over to the Ubuntu-based distributions.  I like these PPAs for various icon sets I've been finding because they're very easy to install.  But, I still haven't found any red icon set to show to PCNetSpec.  But I am keeping my eyes out for one.

Thank you, Dave_D.  Good find! ;)

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Doesn't need to be red (in fact I'm now thinking it's easy to have too much red)  .. rest assured I'm checking out everyones suggestions so keep em coming :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:18:23 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec