Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing SeaMonkey web browser [SOLVED]  (Read 5267 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Installing SeaMonkey web browser [SOLVED]
« on: September 05, 2015, 12:58:53 am »
Hi Peppermint Gurus and members,

Today I downloaded the tar.bz.2 package of SeaMonkey web browser from their official site. they don't have a Debian package, so I had to do some reading about how to install tar.bz.2 applications. after extracting the package and feeding terminal commands, I have been able to launch the application and it now appears in .local/share/applications which I think is good. now I can launch the app directly by clicking the SeaMonkey icon there and can also copy it to desktop.

however, I have no idea of how to move this application to the menu. for example how firefox and chrome are shown in the Internet submenu. I want to move "SeaMonkey" to the menu like that :( please help me
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 07:24:05 am by sk_sarma »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Installing SeaMonkey web browser
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 02:20:31 am »
Hi sk_sarma,

When you say that after installing the application "it now appears in .local/share/applications" I assume you mean in this location

Code: [Select]
~/.local/share/applications/

But tell us what exactly is found there for SeaMonkey. I assume it must be a new .desktop file (perhaps named seamonkey.desktop). If so, you can open this file using the text editor (gedit) and find the line that begins with:

Categories=

and make it read:

Categories=Gtk;Network;

If such a line is not present then add it to the end of the file. Then save the file. You may have to log-out and then log-in again (I'm not sure anymore) but now the SeaMonkey entry should appear in your menu in the Internet category submenu.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 02:49:43 am »
There's a repository that contains Seamonkey called Ubuntuzilla.  To add it to your system, open a terminal and run these commands in this order:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29

echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" \
| sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null

Then run this:

sudo apt-get update

Then, to install Seamonkey, you just have to run this:

sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build

That will install the latest version of Seamonkey on your system from the repository.  This version has advantages to the version you downloaded, such as it being put where it goes in the menu automatically.  Also, you'll be able to receive updates the same way you do for everything else, as opposed to having to separately download another .tar.bz.2 file.  Of course, that's not to say you have to use it, I'm just offering a suggestion.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 03:06:58 am »
Thank you slim. I'll carry on with your suggestion as soon as I get to my computer

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 03:12:25 am »
Thank you SciFiDude. If I had your suggestion earlier, it would have saved me hours of labour spent in the manual install.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 03:49:57 am »
Yeah, that sucks.  I've been there before.  I don't know why Canonical can't just put it in their repositories.  Seamonkey is a nice project and there are enough people that like it to where it wouldn't be a wasted effort.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 05:09:55 am »
Totally agree with you. Especially the 4-in-1 feature of SeaMonkey (Web browser+IRC+Email+Newsreader) comes very handy for people with low system specs. They don't have to install a separate email and IRC client. I became a fan of SeaMonkey when I was using Puppy Linux. it's like a plethora of happiness in one small package :)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 05:23:48 am »
...it's like a plethora of happiness in one small package :) -- sk_sarma
You could also easily say this about Peppermint - brilliant  ;D!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 05:39:13 am »
Sure :) I'm pretty sure that SeaMonkey will give it's best on Peppermint. Both are a result of sheer brilliance

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 11:32:57 am »
Totally agree with you. Especially the 4-in-1 feature of SeaMonkey (Web browser+IRC+Email+Newsreader) comes very handy for people with low system specs. They don't have to install a separate email and IRC client. I became a fan of SeaMonkey when I was using Puppy Linux. it's like a plethora of happiness in one small package :)

Also, I find Seamonky actually runs better on lower end systems, probably due to the fact that it's based on the old Netscape Navigator code and hasn't been updated quite as much as Firefox.  It probably uses less processing power and RAM than Firefox.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
Re: Installing SeaMonkey web browser [SOLVED]
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 11:56:22 am »
You are right, SciFiDude. There cannot be any better browser than SeaMonkey for a distro as lightweight as Puppy Linux. Users with low specs can enjoy full fledged browsing with SeaMonkey on Peppermint too.  :)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 12:01:54 pm »
 :)  ;)  Topic update. The gedit trick of adding categories didn't work  :-\ Instead, I extracted the package in a known location. Then I installed Menu editor. I added a new app in the internet menu, located the executable file called "seamonkey" inside the extracted folder, set the icon from within the folder. And I have successfully installed SeaMonkey and it now appears in my menu  8) . Thank you all. (I would have followed the repository trick but I wanted to learn more about installing tar.bz.2 applications)  ::)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 12:06:53 pm »
Sure :) I'm pretty sure that SeaMonkey will give it's best on Peppermint. Both are a result of sheer brilliance

happy to see another Seamonkey aficionado... happier still you found the repositories... lots of changes in the coding since its origins back in the Netscape Navigator days, of which I am a veteran... Seamonkey desperately needs to grow its userbase as its funding going forward is contingent upon its package download numbers... for those of you who still remember and sometimes use newsgroup forums... news.mozilla.org contains mozilla.support.seamonkey as well as firefox and thunderbird....
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 01:29:56 pm »
Hi spence, I think SeaMonkey is like a firefox relative but lighter and feature rich. I like the ChatZilla and Email feature a lot. but I wonder why SeaMonkey is so underrated and not so famous at all :( If it wasn't for puppy, I would never have come across this fantastic web browser

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 01:39:40 pm »
Seamonkey is made by Mozilla, just as Firefox and Thunderbird are.  It's based on the old Netscape Navigator code, which Mozilla bought years ago.  The way it looks and acts reminds me a lot of Firefox 2 and 3, which I loved.  Plus, it has some great features like the ability to use Firefox add-ons and import settings from Thunderbird.  Websites even think it's Firefox, which can sidestep compatibility issues that you have with "alternate" browsers.  In fact, since I installed it early this morning to test my instructions that I posted here for installing it, I'm thinking of switching back to it.  Firefox irks me sometimes, especially in relation to the "features" they add or remove.  They've done away with some really nice stuff that I loved and implemented a lot of changes I hate.  So, it may be time to go back to that classic Firefox feel with Seamonkey.  Plus, the built in mail program is nice.   ;D