Author Topic: Upgrading RAM for a smoother Peppermint experience [SOLVED]  (Read 5580 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Upgrading RAM for a smoother Peppermint experience [SOLVED]
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:53:30 am »
a big Hello to all Peppermint Gurus and other members! I'm on a system with 1 GB DDR2 RAM and I'm thinking of buying another 1 GB RAM and add them up to get a total of 2 GB RAM. my questions are :

1) is buying a single 2 GB RAM better than using 2 sticks of 1 GB?

2) can I buy any 1 GB DDR2 RAM stick and install it to make it run?

3) or I have to be specific about it's make and model so as to be compatible with the previous RAM stick?

4) if so, how to see my RAM stick's manufacturer and other info?

and I almost forgot to ask.. 5) I have a 512 MB DDR2 RAM stick from my old dead PC. Can I add it with the existing 1 GB DDR2 RAM?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:54:34 am by sk_sarma »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Upgrading RAM for a smoother Peppermint experience
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 01:07:41 am »
Hi sk_sarma,

I personally would go the single 2GB RAM bank route. That way you can either continue using the old 1GB RAM bank and have a total of 3GB of RAM or just use the single 2GB and have space to pop in another 2GB of RAM if you find that you need it (e.g. you get interested in video editing while running music in the background and happen to be downloading things with several SSBs open on another workspace ...).  :-X

I have not poked around for some years now, but as I recall the type of RAM might be (or is) printed on the RAM bank (small but with a magnifying glass readable). I also recall reading that you should try to get the same speed of RAM put into all slots that have RAM in them.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 01:17:21 am »
3 GB of RAM will probably make my PC a racehorse. but unfortunately a 2 GB RAM stick costs almost 2-3 times more than a 1 GB stick and my finances are limited, so I'm thinking of getting a 1 GB RAM instead.

is there anyway to see the RAM information without opening up the cabinet? like a terminal command? like how it shows the hard disk and CPU info (speed, manufacturer, brand etc)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 01:25:18 am »
Not that I know of ... but that might nevertheless be possible. Wait for someone with more info to be sure.

Also, once you are sure about what you need to get, check around because you can often also buy used RAM for a very good price.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 01:38:41 am »
Thanks for your help. if everything else fails, I'm gonna have to look for a used RAM stick online :)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 01:55:54 am »
Hi sk_sarma, how's it going?  Yeah, I'd go with the 3GB route if it's possible.  Although just bringing your memory up to 2GB is going give you a very capable machine.  You're running the 32-bit version of Peppermint Six on a 64-bit machine, (you've a lm, long mode flag on your CPU that gives it away).   It is highly likely your machine's motherboard can handle 4GB of RAM.  I'm not sure if your version of Peppermint will see 3GB or more  :-\.  I'd wait for confirmation before buying an extra 2GB stick.  The other option is to upgrade your RAM, backup your critical data and install Peppermint Six 64-bit.  That would do the trick for sure  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 02:14:26 am »
Yes I looked up my CPU configuration online and I saw that it's a 64-bit CPU and my motherboard Asus 5PKL AM supports a maximum of 4 GB RAM. And hence, after installing 2 GB RAM or more, I have to consider installing the 64-bit version of Peppermint to make full use of my system. but can you tell me about how to add more RAM to my existing RAM? I have a 512 MB DDR2 RAM stick lying around inside my old PC. can I take it out and fit in my machine? 1.5 GB RAM is not too bad for a 32 bit system I guess

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 02:26:37 am »
Yes I looked up my CPU configuration online and I saw that it's a 64-bit CPU and my motherboard Asus 5PKL AM supports a maximum of 4 GB RAM. And hence, after installing 2 GB RAM or more, I have to consider installing the 64-bit version of Peppermint to make full use of my system. but can you tell me about how to add more RAM to my existing RAM? I have a 512 MB DDR2 RAM stick lying around inside my old PC. can I take it out and fit in my machine? 1.5 GB RAM is not too bad for a 32 bit system I guess
Sure adding 512MiB is going to make a difference.  My little Acer Aspire One netbook is 32-bit.  I upgraded the memory from 1GB to 1.5GB.  It turned it into a very capable little machine.  You'll certainly notice the difference when opening webpages.  Yeah, go for it, put it in your machine.  That extra 512MiB is doing you no good sitting around outside your machine  ;D.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 02:41:26 am »
Thanks. I'll try installing the spare RAM I have and see if it works.  but is there any way to see my RAM information (like manufacturer and MHz etc) without opening up the cabinet? some terminal command maybe?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 03:38:52 am »
Thanks. I'll try installing the spare RAM I have and see if it works.  but is there any way to see my RAM information (like manufacturer and MHz etc) without opening up the cabinet? some terminal command maybe?
You already know it's DDR2.  You can run this command in the terminal to determine what speed it is:
Code: [Select]
sudo dmidecode --type 17  | grep -i speedThat's the most relevant part, the speed.  You really want to match that.  I hope this helps  ;).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 03:40:22 am »
NO you can't just get any memory .. it need to be the right type and speed

and

depending on the PC, you *may* be better off with 2 x 1GB if dual channel is supported .. but in reality it doesn't really make much noticeable difference.

What's the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo dmidecode --type 17
[EDIT]

Ooops, Andy beat me to it .. but the FULL output wouldn't hurt (ie. skip the "grep" bit) just to be sure.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:42:28 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 03:45:41 am »
Me being lazy  :D!

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 05:34:39 am »
Thank you AndyInMokum and PCNetSpec for helping me out. I'll try that command as soon as I get to my computer :)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
Re: Upgrading RAM for a smoother Peppermint experience [SOLVED]
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 09:10:45 am »
Sorry for not posting the output but your commands worked fine. thank you guys! It says 667 MHz DDR2 RAM

So today I opened up my cabinet and took out the RAM stick. It has a label which says the following :

Dynet 1 GB PC2 5300U -555

I understand that PC2 5300 means it's a DDR2 RAM with a frequency of 667 MHz.

my question is what does the "U" and "555" signify? I checked out a really cheap 1 GB DDR2 RAM online by a brand named hynix and it says 667 MHz, universal support and single channel (costs around 5.40 dollars when converted to USD, including shipping). Is it gonna work?

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Upgrading RAM for a smoother Peppermint experience [SOLVED]
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 09:27:24 am »
my question is what does the "U" and "555" signify? I checked out a really cheap 1 GB DDR2 RAM online by a brand named hynix and it says 667 MHz, universal support and single channel (costs around 5.40 dollars when converted to USD, including shipping). Is it gonna work?
U usually stands for Unbuffered as far as I know...  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40