Author Topic: Firefox vs Chromium [SOLVED]  (Read 3291 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Firefox vs Chromium [SOLVED]
« on: September 02, 2015, 09:35:40 pm »
 :) Hi everyone. installed Peppermint today and gotta say, it's like Lubuntu on steroids. this is the first time that I'm using Chromium. i think it's a little faster than chrome but the task manager shows several instances of chromium running consuming around 250 MB of my RAM  :-\  :'( . my questions are :-

1. can i install firefox and replace chromium?
2. is firefox better and less memory consuming than chromium?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:13:13 am by 60D1355 »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Firefox vs Chromium
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:22:06 am »
:) Hi everyone. installed Peppermint today and gotta say, it's like Lubuntu on steroids. this is the first time that I'm using Chromium. i think it's a little faster than chrome but the task manager shows several instances of chromium running consuming around 250 MB of my RAM  :-\  :'( . my questions are :-

1. can i install firefox and replace chromium?
2. is firefox better and less memory consuming than chromium?  ;D
Hi 60D1355, yes the Chromium Browser is quiet memory hungry, just like Google Chrome.  You don't have very much memory to play with either.  You are really operating in the minimum amount of memory range for Peppermint Six to run comfortably for most users.  If you were to bring it up to 2GB, you'd be laughing  ;D.  The multiple instances of Chromium showing in the Task Manager means you either have the browser open multiple times or, there are multiple SSBs, (Site Specific Browser) open.  For more information about SSBs and Ice, please follow this link: http://peppermintos.com/guide/ice/.

There's no reason not to install Firefox alongside the existing Chromium BrowserFirefox is lighter on resources.  It's slower though.  You are also unable to create SSBs with Firefox as Mozilla are no longer developing their Prism Technology.  Saying that, Firefox is an excellent browser.  If you wish to install it.  It's available to download from the Software Manager or, using the Synaptic Package Manager.  You can quickly install it from the command line too.  Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following command into the window:
Code: [Select]
apt install firefoxHit enter and enter your user password if asked.  Hit enter again and follow the on screen instructions.

You could get a little more out of your memory if you reduced the swappiness.  By default it is set to 60.  This is great for servers but lousy for desktop machines.  I suggest you reduce it to 5.  This will keep more data in your memory rather than using the swap space, that is very slow.  If you want to do this, follow these instructions.   Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes, Ctrl+Alt+t. To check the current value enter the following command:
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappinessThe default value is 60.  To change this, enter the following command into the terminal window.
sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.confHit Enter and enter your user password if asked.  Hit Enter again.  Disregard the warning message.  It is irrelevant.  When the file opens, add the following lines to the bottom of it.
#Adjust Swappiness Value
vm.swappiness=5
Save the file, quit the gedit text editor and reboot your system.  Check the swappiness value again by running the following command in a terminal window:
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappinessIt should now show a value of 5.  I hope this helps - have fun ;).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:35:09 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Firefox vs Chromium
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:05:15 am »
IIRC, Chromium/Chrome show multiple instances for multiple open tabs.

Browser foot print tends to be as much about the size of web pages you have open, so I wouldn't expect Firefox to be massively lighter.

I have read it's slightly lighter than Chrome . but "slightly" is probably the operative word.

But why not install Firefox and see which you prefer :)

Be Aware, Ice and any created SSB's require Chromium (or Chrome) to be installed to work.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
Re: Firefox vs Chromium [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:12:09 am »
Thank you. in that case, I will stick to Chromium because the SSBs have proved to be very helpful. and I will have to consider doing a RAM upgrade but until then I'm gonna have to use that "swapiness trick" like you suggested. but is it somehow related to the swap partition that I created during installation? I made a swap of 2 GB, 30 GB root partition and round 120 GB home partition.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 02:20:51 am »
Thank you. but Firefox wouldn't let me enjoy SSBs so I'll stick to Chromium :)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 02:55:31 am »
Thank you. but Firefox wouldn't let me enjoy SSBs so I'll stick to Chromium :)
I can full understand, SSBs are really cool.   I use Chrome instead of Chromium because I have Netflix.  I also have Firefox installed as my backup browser.  Thank you for marking the topic as [SOLVED]  ;).

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:28:42 am »
Thank you. in that case, I will stick to Chromium because the SSBs have proved to be very helpful. and I will have to consider doing a RAM upgrade but until then I'm gonna have to use that "swapiness trick" like you suggested. but is it somehow related to the swap partition that I created during installation? I made a swap of 2 GB, 30 GB root partition and round 120 GB home partition.
Yes it is.  The swap partition is used as a de facto extra memory.  It does work but it's very sluggish.  The unwritten rule of thumb to calculate your swap space is: swap = 2x RAM, in reality 8GB is more than enough RAM for any configuration.  The default swappiness setting is 60.  This means that before all of your RAM is used, the swap space will start to be used as extra memory.  Things will still work but they will be very slow.  As I have already mentioned in a previous post.  This is fine for servers.  Dropping the swappiness to 5 keeps more data in the RAM before the swap space is used.  This keeps your machine running smoothly and quickly.  This is a much better setting for a desktop machine.  I hope this explains it for you  ;).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:31:50 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:30:21 am »
Hurray! i just changed my swapiness value to 5! :) thank you so much. you made it so easy for me.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 04:34:11 am »
Hurray! i just changed my swapiness value to 5! :) thank you so much. you made it so easy for me.
Fantastic, it's my pleasure.  I'm sure you'll find your machine runs much snappier now - good stuff  ;)!!

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 04:50:35 am »
it does feel faster now  :) thanks again.