Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing Peppermint 6 from a cd(SOLVED)  (Read 1424 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Installing Peppermint 6 from a cd(SOLVED)
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:24:30 pm »
Hello Peppermint people :-\. I have two real simple questions about installing. First of all, is allowing 10gb for swap too much? And upon completing installation do I leave the cd in and reboot or take it out first? I ask that because it's been such a long time since I loaded an os from cd that I couldn't remember. When I loaded Peppermint 6 on this hard drive I removed the cd and then rebooted and as soon as I hit reboot I got an error message that installation didn't complete or close or something like that. So far things have gone pretty good on this installation with the exception of ffDiaporama so I'm thinking maybe that had something to do with it. So what's the verdict?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:05:02 pm by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Installing Peppermint 6 from a cd
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:52:16 pm »
Hello Peppermint people :-\. I have two real simple questions about installing. First of all, is allowing 10gb for swap too much? And upon completing installation do I leave the cd in and reboot or take it out first? I ask that because it's been such a long time since I loaded an os from cd that I couldn't remember. When I loaded Peppermint 6 on this hard drive I removed the cd and then rebooted and as soon as I hit reboot I got an error message that installation didn't complete or close or something like that. So far things have gone pretty good on this installation with the exception of ffDiaporama so I'm thinking maybe that had something to do with it. So what's the verdict?
Wow, 10GB is a huge amount of swap space.  The unwritten rule of thumb is: swap = 2x RAM.  Therefore if you have 4GB of RAM8GB of swap is fine.  If you are unsure of how much RAM you have, run this command:
Code: [Select]
free -m
In reality, 8GB of swap is enough for any installation.  If you have 8GB of RAM, 16GB of swap is just wasteful and getting silly IMHO.  Yes, after the installation has finished.  Shutdown the Live Peppermint session and remove the installation media before rebooting into your new installation.  You may have to adjust the boot order in the BIOS.  That'll do the trick  ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:54:39 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 11:22:33 pm »
On to your second question.  You need to hit "restart" with the CD still in the drive.  Though, for some reason, Peppermint (unlike Ubuntu and others) doesn't pause during the reboot and give you a chance to take it out.  The drive opens for about a second or two and then re-shuts and your computer continues booting with the splash screen, etc.  If that happens to you (as it did to me) and it boots back up to the CD, you can select "Boot from existing drive" from the boot menu, and that will boot your newly installed system.  Then you can take the CD out after it's loaded.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:25:14 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:51:01 am »
Like Andy, 8GB is what I'd consider a maximum, I'd probably stop at 4GB .. the exception to this is if you want to use hibernate which writes RAM contents to the swap partition so you'll want a swap partition at least as large as your installed RAM.

If you don't plan on using hibernate, 4 - 8 GB is generally plenty .. if you need more than that, you REALLY should buy extra RAM
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:04:14 pm »
Okay thanks guys, I'll stick with 8gb and leave the CD in. Wish me luck(goodbye windows!)
What was I thinking?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Peppermint 6 from a cd(SOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »
Good luck.  You should be fine.  If you have any more issues, we're here to help.   :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 02:18:53 pm »
Hi alynur, you don't leave the installation CD in your machine after the installation process has completed.  As scifidude79 has pointed out.  It's a little awkward to remove the installation media after the, Finished Installing notice appears.  For some reason when you choose the reboot option, the shutdown doesn't pause to allow you to remove the installation media.  The way I get around this, is to shutdown the computer from the menu.  Reboot it while holding down the F2 key or whatever key it is to get you to the BIOS.  Once the BIOS opens, remove the CD, adjust the boot order if needed.  Press F10 and select Yes to get you out of the BIOS and  boot up normally.  You're now good to go.  There is absolutely no need to keep the Live CD in your computer after you have installed Peppermint Six  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:26:34 pm »
Yeah, that works too.  Though, there is an option to boot from the local HD in the Live menu and, unlike on some other distributions, it actually works on this one.  Either doing that or what Andy said works fine.   :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:29:11 pm by scifidude79 »