Author Topic: Mark Shuttleworth Pre-UOS Keynote and Q+A  (Read 4024 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Mark Shuttleworth Pre-UOS Keynote and Q+A
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 11:23:42 am »
Yeah, I trust Shuttleworth to do whatever he wants to do.  I may be wrong, but I doubt it.  But, it is his company and he can run things how he sees fit.

One thing I love about Linux is that you don't have to settle.  If you don't like it, switch.  ;)  I actually quit Ubuntu before Unity but, had I not, that would have driven me to switch.  I don't like small screen interfaces on a big screen and I hate giant in your face icons.  That's why I like Peppermint.  And, if I ever find something I like better than Peppermint, I'll switch to that.  But, thus far, I've never even found anything I like as well as Peppermint.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 12:28:39 pm »
If I'm wrong, please serve my hat with potatoes and gravy :)

[EDIT]

In a similar vein, I'm going to allow the community to decide on the future DE of Peppermint, you don't get to see the results of any vote, or know what I mean by "community", but I'll honour the private results I promise ;)

As long as those potatoes and gravy are served with your thinking cap, that meal ought to taste pretty darn good!  ;)

But, I want to be able to vote at Ubuntu.  I didn't know until today that you could be a user of Ubuntu, and a participant in its forum, and still not be an official member of Ubuntu.  That is shocking to me. :o

I just asked the administration at Ubuntu for official membership --if that is at all possible.  I want to vote and participate in the development process of Ubuntu if I can.  What's best for Ubuntu should, at least in theory, be what's best for us here too.  I want to be a positive part of the process.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 12:36:03 pm »
Good luck with that  :o
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 02:01:03 am »
Thanks PCnetSpec, AndyInMokum, and scifidude79,

The truth is that every time I deal with the Ubuntu community, I nearly always leave the experience worse for wear.  What I can't understand is how they can have such fine distributions, and then have such a cutthroat, or dog-eat-dog, community environment.  These two experiences appear to be so contradictory to one another.  Some nasty policy ideas have to be set by someone, or some group at Canonical/Ubuntu that continually makes community involvement within Ubuntu's forums such a miserable experience.  To think that one can use Ubuntu for years, receive their periodic email, participate every once in a while within their forums, but will never be considered an "official" member of the Ubuntu community boggles my mind. :-\
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:04:51 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 02:33:50 am »
The Ubuntu forum, handy place to visit but wouldn't wanna live there, or even stay there a minute longer than is necessary.

As a resource it's a great place, as a community hangout not so much.

Pity really, because if it had a bit more community spirit it would probably be an even richer resource.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 02:37:08 am »
Thanks PCnetSpec, AndyInMokum, and scifidude79,

The truth is that every time I deal with the Ubuntu community, I nearly always leave the experience worse for wear.  What I can't understand is how they can have such fine distributions, and then have such a cutthroat, or dog-eat-dog, community environment.  These two experiences appear to be so contradictory to one another.  Some nasty policy ideas have to be set by someone, or some group at Canonical/Ubuntu that continually makes community involvement within Ubuntu's forums such a miserable experience.  To think that one can use Ubuntu for years, receive their periodic email, participate every once in a while within their forums, but will never be considered an "official" member of the Ubuntu community boggles my mind. :-\
Yeah, I only ever go there if I'm looking for something specific.  I deliberately try not to interact with them though.   It can be and irritating experience.   You have to jump through dozens of flaming hoops just to get garbled answer.  I sometimes use the Linux Mint Forums.  They have a much better spirit of mutual cooperation.  There's always someone there willing to help out a neighbour.  I get the feeling our new Archie friends over at ApricityOS will be the same  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:49 am »

Yeah, I only ever go there if I'm looking for something specific.  I deliberately try not to interact with them though.   It can be and irritating experience.   You have to jump through dozens of flaming hoops just to get garbled answer.

It is flaming --and especially from the administrators.  And that's the other contrast I see there:  There's the high-minded talk of Mark Shuttleworth about the sharing of ideas, and the virtues of open source, that is completely contradicted by the flaming from Ubuntu forum's very own administrators.  And that flaming occurs especially when one tries to share ideas and honor the philosophy open source! ::)

Pity really, because if it had a bit more community spirit it would probably be an even richer resource.

It is a pity!  Ubuntu forum has all the potential in the world to be great.  :( 

I'm going to begin doing what you guys do --go in only if need be, get the necessary info, and then scram.  I am going to stop bucking my head against the administrators of that forum.

Thank you very much.  Your comments and insights, as always, have been very helpful.  I'm also so glad rmcellig chose Peppermint over Lubuntu.  He has saved himself an awful lot of unnecessary grief by avoiding that Ubuntu crowd! :)

perknh

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 06:24:54 pm »
Ah, so it's not a user vote, it's a community member vote, meaning people that already like Ubuntu well enough to become and official member.  Well, we now know how he's going to rig the vote.   ::)

Yes, scifidude79, it is hard to have your opinion heard at Ubuntu.  One who uses Ubuntu, or participates in Ubuntu forums, is not, by default, an "eligible" community member --no matter how many years of working with, or using, Ubuntu.  Clearly, a regular Joe, or Jane, doesn't have much of a chance to have his or her voice heard over at Ubuntu.   This is what I read today from the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter --but it's really not of much help to us here at Peppermint: *

Mark Shuttleworth has written a post about the Ubuntu Community
Council election and encourages eligible community members to vote.
You can read his post here:
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1488

--Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 442

*It's not really of much use to the majority of Ubuntu users over at Ubuntu forum either --since their voices will never be heard either. :(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:03:45 am by perknh »