Author Topic: Mark Shuttleworth Pre-UOS Keynote and Q+A  (Read 4035 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Mark Shuttleworth Pre-UOS Keynote and Q+A
« on: August 30, 2015, 07:57:34 pm »
Mark Shuttleworth Pre-UOS Keynote and Q+A

Ubuntu OnAir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IfgX-k7Hag

Fascinating --well worth listening to!   

And with a fun note too: 

With the Ubuntu 16.04 release will also come the ability of the Ubuntu community to choose its own default desktop.  May I suggest to those here interested in this subject of becoming a member of Ubuntu community so you'll will be able to cast a vote. ;) 

Now if only they would allow us to vote out our least favorite administrator troll within Ubuntu's forum too.  Voting for a default desktop while voting out my least favorite administrator troll would be my idea of a perfect ballot at Ubuntu! ;D
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Mark Shuttleworth Pre-UOS Keynote and Q+A
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:16:26 am »
Sorry perknh, I just cannot bring myself to watch an hour of this...

So are you saying that if enough people vote for something else, Ubuntu will drop Unity ?

[EDIT]

Oh well, I thought we were getting somewhere for a second and Ubuntu were finally listening to its users .. but according to this:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-16-04-LTS-Won-t-Have-Unity-8-by-Default-the-Community-Will-Decide-480129.shtml

it just looks like it'll just be a choice between Unity 7 and an unfinished Unity 8 :(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:27:20 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:00:34 am »
Hi PCNetSpec,

The link you posted here was what originally inspired me to go to YouTube late last night and watch this video.  Then, after I began watching the video, I was hooked.  Mark Shuttleworth had just a sentence or two within his talk about Ubuntu's next default desktop.  Most of the video was about snappy, open source, the IoT, etc.  It was fascinating.

No, I certainly don't expect many to listen, or watch, this video, but it does give us a sense of which direction Mark Shuttleworth is trying to lead Canonical and Ubuntu.  Since Peppermint is a derivative within the Debian/Ubuntu branch of Linux, I find it interesting to have a bird's eye view of where the development within our massive branch of Linux may be headed.

As for choosing the future default desktop environment of Ubuntu, I have no idea of how Ubuntu users will be notified when such a vote is going to take place.  Mind you, I never heard the word "vote" anywhere within this Q & A.  I'm only making an assumption that that is how the default desktop would (or should) be decided.  I could always be wrong about this.

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 06:30:38 am »
...As for choosing the future default desktop environment of Ubuntu, I have no idea of how Ubuntu users will be notified when such a vote is going to take place.  Mind you, I never heard the word "vote" anywhere within this Q & A.  I'm only making an assumption that that is how the default desktop would (or should) be decided... --perknh
That's an easy one, Mark Shuttleworth will vote on it and the Ubuntu users will be told the result  - simple eh  ;D!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:21:20 am »
...As for choosing the future default desktop environment of Ubuntu, I have no idea of how Ubuntu users will be notified when such a vote is going to take place.  Mind you, I never heard the word "vote" anywhere within this Q & A.  I'm only making an assumption that that is how the default desktop would (or should) be decided... --perknh
That's an easy one, Mark Shuttleworth will vote on it and the Ubuntu users will be told the result  - simple eh  ;D!!

Mark Shuttleworth is very intelligent, and extremely smooth, and I'm certain he has more than enough charisma to talk a dog off a meat wagon.  AndyInMokum, you may end up being right about this.  Time will tell if that is what Mr. Shuttleworth was really saying!  I'd go right over to the Ubuntu's forums and ask about it if there wasn't an administrator troll over there who seems to have taken an inordinate interest in my posts. 

A word to the wise:  Never entitle a thread within any of Ubuntu's forums with the words "Peppermint OS Auto-Updates While Lubuntu Doesn't"  They have a long memory over there.  You'll be flagged forever, and you'll never be forgiven if you do!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:07:57 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:44:13 am »
Andy's right .. users will vote on it .. Shuttleworth will listen to what they said, then do exactly whatever he wanted in the first place.

Ubuntu (like Windows and Metro/Notro) for the last few years have become well known for ignoring input from their user base .. I'll pretty much guarantee that it'll be King Shuttleworth's direction that gets followed (it's not a democracy at Ubuntu).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:21:33 am »
Yeah, I was going to say something like, "I'll believe that when I see it," but Andy really said it best.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:31:59 am »
Yeah, I was going to say something like, "I'll believe that when I see it," but Andy really said it best.

Also, from what I can see from over at Ubuntu's forum, becoming a member of Ubuntu isn't as easy as simply using one of its many distributions and then joining its forum.  So now I'm beginning to question my assumption that joining Ubuntu's forum would necessarily allow anyone who wanted to to vote.  Even though I can't tell you exactly what it takes to become a member at Ubuntu, I doubt very much that I would qualify with my track record over there  I only have three posts, and one of them is locked down. ::)  Too bad, too.  I'm actually quite fond of Ubuntu.  My very first post at Ubuntu was intended to help Lubuntu become aware of a possible bug.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:42:26 am by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 09:34:38 am »
What is it with people pronouncing Gnome as Guh-Nome lately .. I'm guessing Batman the Dark Kuniguheight started if off right ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:45:30 am »
You're right.  Good question!  ;)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gnome?s=t

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 09:57:22 am »
Ah, so it's not a user vote, it's a community member vote, meaning people that already like Ubuntu well enough to become and official member.  Well, we now know how he's going to rig the vote.   ::)

What is it with people pronouncing Gnome as Guh-Nome lately

People do that?  Are they on drugs?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 10:01:13 am »
Never stopped me pronouncing it correctly :)

or should I say pronuncitating  it properblurblurblurble....

[EDIT]

The "tin foiler" in me says it's a conspiracy instigated by the "GNU/Linux" brigade (?)

[EDIT 2}

The "cling filmer" in me says .. hey, what ya doin there, sod off this was supposed to be a private moment  :-[
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:20:23 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 10:23:24 am »
Ah, so it's not a user vote, it's a community member vote, meaning people that already like Ubuntu well enough to become and official member.  Well, we now know how he's going to rig the vote.   ::)

What is it with people pronouncing Gnome as Guh-Nome lately

People do that?  Are they on drugs?

@scifidude79

Okay, go to 49:20 within the Q & A video, and you tell me what you think Mr. Shuttleworth is saying there concerning the desktop.  I don't want to be misleading anyone here within this thread.

I'm curious how you interpret what he is saying.  :-\

Thanks.

perknh

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 10:44:00 am »
He said, "let the community decide."  Well, that could mean a lot of things.  It could be a forum vote, or it could be other community contributors that decide.  It's hard to say.  "Community" is a broad term.  Only time will tell.

Not that it bothers me either way.  I run Peppermint and I gave up on Ubuntu ages ago.  I don't like the fact that they usually don't listen to their users.  If they're going to start doing it now, I may take another look at them when or if that happens, but I think that's a big if.  About the only way their decisions bother me is when they do things like decide that a particular package is no longer needed, so they stop including it in their repositories, even though there may be people still using said package for one reason or another.  I only care about that because it affects not only Ubuntu but any OS based on it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 11:04:59 am »
No need to interpret it (or even listen to it) .. previous behaviour together with the amount they're invested in Unity (both time and money) on multiple platforms, not to mention that he starts the video bigging up "convergence" absolutely positively tells you that if the community suggest a DE other than Unity 7 Vs Unity 8 it'll be ignored.

The "let the community decide" is purely for the press.

If I'm wrong, please serve my hat with potatoes and gravy :)

[EDIT]

In a similar vein, I'm going to allow the community to decide on the future DE of Peppermint, you don't get to see the results of any vote, or know what I mean by "community", but I'll honour the private results I promise ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:15:49 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec