Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows 10 privacy concerns expanded to encompass Win7/8/8.1 via updates  (Read 10218 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
Re: Windows 10 privacy concerns expanded to encompass Win7/8/8.1 via updates
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2015, 05:17:12 pm »
True or false (or, more likely, somewhere in between) there's a huge stigma surrounding Ubuntu ...

As long as the solution has nothing to do with Windows 10 (or the Coriolis effect), you can count me in!  ;)

I have to agree with the people of Peppermint forum in general, that Ubuntu did itself no favors when it created its Unity DE.  That's most likely where Ubuntu's stigma originated and probably to what scifidude79 was referring.  Please understand, I'm just toying with some ideas that may help bring more people over to Linux.  I don't claim to have any hard and fast answers here.  I've brought about eight people over to either Peppermint or Xubuntu over the last year or so.  All I'm trying to do within this thread is relate some of the roadblocks I've encountered when doing so.  Some people transition over to Linux quite easily (as if they have finally found their home), but others find transitioning to Linux a challenge.

AndyInMokum, I know very little about BSD (or Oracle Solaris, just in case you're thinking about that too).  I'm certainly not trying to promote any exodus away from Linux.  I want to see more people use Linux, not fewer.  We voted you in as Peppermint's mayor, and it will be a cold day in hell before we vote you out.  These are just ideas --nothing more.  And, as PCNetSpec has said, this whole discussion concerning future desktop dominance is liable to become moot anyway.

perknh
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:18:28 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2015, 09:26:20 pm »
One of the ways Canonical shoots themselves in the foot regarding Ubuntu is how they, much like Microsoft, implement changes that their users neither ask for nor want.  They get negative feedback based on tests of said changes and then they implement them anyway.  This is exactly how Microsoft does things and it is what will ultimately doom them.  In Ubuntu's case, it has already done some damage in that Mint, a distribution which is actually based off of Ubuntu, is more popular these days that Ubuntu is.  Why?  Because they listen to their users and find out what they want. They found out lots of people hated Unity and default Gnome-shell, so they created Cinnamon and Mate.  Yet, despite the popularity of Mint with Cinnamon and Mate, Ubuntu sticks with Unity.  Not only that, but recent updates have made it even less customizable than it used to be.

Other stigma surrounding Ubuntu actually comes from Microsoft's FUD campaigns.  They've spread all-out lies regarding Linux and open source software in general that makes a lot of people leery of open source.  That's where the false part comes in.

Funnily enough, Red Hat, who makes Gnome, offers official Fedora spin that has Mate.  And, Cinnamon is available for installation through their repositories.  So, at least they, unlike Canonical, know how to give their users what they want.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:27:57 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2015, 10:11:13 pm »
Except they give em RPM's  :o
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2015, 10:19:30 pm »
.rpm isn't a bad package management system.  I've ran .rpm-based distros in the past.  At least, I don't think it's any better or worse than .deb.  Both have advantages and disadvantages.  What I hate are software sites that "choose" one or the other, they offer software downloads in either .deb or .rpm.  In my opinion, if they're going to offer software for download, they should be shell scripts that can be installed on any Linux system.  GOG recently switched to those from .deb, which is nice for non Debian users.

What I hate about Fedora is the update system.  It's dreadful.  When I actually ran that OS, I had to deactivate that just to use the software manager.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:21:46 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2015, 10:34:50 pm »
I've never been a fan of rpm .. the apt tools are just better than anything they have (or maybe I should say "that I know of)

it's not the packages themselves .. it's the available tools surrounding them .. .deb just seems to have more/better support tools.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:36:29 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2015, 10:40:48 pm »
I'll not argue with you there.  I love Apt.  It's my favorite way to install software.  I either use the terminal or Synaptic, which is my favorite GUI for installing software.  I've never found any tool that I like on .rpm based systems as well as Synaptic.  There are a few that are similar, but they're just not the same.  Plus, I have the Apt terminal commands down pat.  If I know the name of the software I want to install, I just do that.  :)

For a few days there, I was messing around in Apricity, which uses Pacman.  In my opinion, that's a pretty nice package system too.  It has a similar interface to Synaptic and some nice features like being able to list (and remove) orphans.  But, I still like Apt better.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2015, 01:23:27 am »
Thanks for the straight answer Andy :)

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2015, 04:16:08 am »
Thanks for the straight answer Andy :)

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
No problem mate, it's just the way I see things.  I might be completely off track  :).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2015, 05:37:22 am »
Windows are traditionally sloppy in respect to updates and the process of delivering them.  Look at the reputation it has for breaking systems.  It's truly shocking.  People live in trepidation waiting for, Patch Tuesday  :o.  This is because they've allowed automatic updating and there's no disclosure of what's being installed.

Now that you mention it, I do remember Patch Tuesday, and, yes, it was often a lousy day --with frequent problems with the updates.  Funny thing is, back in my Windows days, I thought I was the only one having this problem.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum