Choose style:

Author Topic: need advice regarding peppermint 6 or lubuntu  (Read 10816 times)

Offline rmcellig

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: need advice regarding peppermint 6 or lubuntu
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 08:39:19 pm »
I agree! That's one of the reasons I reinstalled Peppermint. The Pepp forum is excellent!

Offline gurdonark

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Gurdonark
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 09:04:02 pm »
Lubuntu is great. Peppermint is great. I run Peppermint because I like its look and I find this forum to be very good. But I could run either.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 09:26:36 pm »
Between the two, Peppermint is the way to go.  Personally, I think Peppermint is a much nicer distribution than Lubuntu.  Also our forum is markedly different than Ubuntu's forum.  In fact, I much prefer participating in Manjaro's forum to that of Ubuntu's.   And whatever you do, never mention the p-word over there.  They're all about Ubuntu --and only Ubuntu.

rmcellig, here's how I would suggest preparing yourself mentally and physically if you ever wish to enter and leave Ubuntu's forum relatively unscathed.  ;)

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAwNaKDBwT0
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline XavyAir

• View Profile
    • XavyAir -Tumblr
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 6 64-bit
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 11:41:04 pm »
So a little story why I ended up choosing Peppermint over Lubuntu, and even LXLE.  My younger sister had an Acer aspire one netbook with Windows 7 Starter, the OS took almost 80% of memory in idle, so I began researching distros that were light on RAM, some of the top ones were Lubuntu, LXLE 12.04.4 and Peppermint 4......I ended up installing LXLE on that netbook, but then I noticed how openbox was not visually pleasing, and some themes were not even compatible with it. I had heard that the Peppermint team were a bout to release a new version based on the upcoming (at the time) Ubuntu 14.04, and it was to include the XF4WM, in it... so I was willing to let my sister use LXLE for the time being...until Peppermint was fully released...unfortunately Windows broke the hard drive mechanisms a few day before Peppermint 5 was released  :'(...We still have the little netbook somewhere running Peppermint 5 off an external hard drive :)

But really I was blown away of how little RAM Peppermint 5 uses considering it uses the XF4WM instead of Openbox  :o...LXLE runs at 180 MB on average in idle with openbox, while Peppermint has been running at 150-155 MB idle. LXLE uses an older Ubuntu version as base for their 32-bit version (Ubuntu 12.04) while peppermint 5 uses 14.04... also I tried installing and configuring the XF4WM into both Lubuntu and LXLE, but this made the OS very unstable, so stability was also a big plus for Peppermint 5

My sister had been blown away of how fast was Linux in her little notebook, even running LibreOffice Writer in LXLE was faster than using Abiword in Windows, and till this day Peppermint 5 has that machine running happily.....

So in summary was : newer kernel, more years of support, RAM usage, Stability, and aesthetics in to customizing made Peppermint my distro of choice...it now runs on my old laptop, after running Elemntary OS and Xubuntu before, I am a happy Peppermint user :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 06:45:48 am »
I only dropped in to see what this forum was about, next thing I know......
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 07:06:43 am »
So in summary was : newer kernel, more years of support, RAM usage, Stability, and aesthetics in to customizing made Peppermint my distro of choice...it now runs on my old laptop, after running Elemntary OS and Xubuntu before, I am a happy Peppermint user :D

Hi XavyAir,

Good choice, and Xubuntu would have been my second choice for rmcellig --not Lubuntu.  I don't know why, but I've seen Lubuntu move like mud before.  Xubuntu, on the other hand, always seems quite snappy.  But, if we weigh all the factors --aesthetics, support, functionality, important conversations, humor, civility, a safe, family-friendly, troll-free environment, pizzazz, personality, and our very own PCNetSpec-- Peppermint Linux OS wins over Lubuntu hands down! ;)

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 07:22:12 am »
Lubuntu is a great little distro.  I do think that visually, it feels a little antiquated.  It also feels like it's lacking the final spit and polish.  Other than that, it works just fine.  It's just a little pedestrian.  Peppermint feels both modern and polished in comparison.  It's also very progressive with its mission.   I also really dislike pre-installed user packages.  The whole concept of having someone else make assumptions on my behalf, really gets up my snoot  >:(.  It's one of the few things Windows got right.  You choose your own software.  The only reason I can see pre-installed packages being useful, is if you're using the distro Live on a regular basis.  The first time I tested Peppermint Four from a CD.  The lack of pre-installed user packages sealed the deal for me.  I didn't even test it any further; it was GParted time.  I had Crunchbang Waldorf installed.  Peppermint Four was installed next to it on a custom partition table.  Within two weeks it had become my primary OS.  Crunchbang being consigned to a Clonezilla backup folder.  The rest is history.  I haven't found any other distro that delivers so much, while packing so little - Peppermint all the way  ;)!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:39:40 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 10:33:29 am »
I only dropped in to see what this forum was about, next thing I know......

Bwahahahaha !!  Me too...   ;D

I used Peppermint for a couple of years before dropping in here.

Actually, I was searching for a WiCD fix, when I accidentally discovered this place.

Here's the thread that sucked me in:  http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5916

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 02:06:15 pm »
Ha, who's laughing now .. sucked you in.

"IN", I said "IN".......
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 02:25:10 pm »
LoL !!!   :D

It's not what you GET, it's what you GIVE, right?

We're Paladins - that's all...