Choose style:

Author Topic: Have you tried Wine?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Have you tried Wine?
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:00:19 pm »
One of the biggest reasons I see for running  a dual boot with Windows and Peppermint (or any Linux, for that matter) is the old, "I only still use Windows because of this program."  I've been there, done that.  In my case, it was software that wouldn't run in Wine.  I'm an amateur CG artist and I used to use a program called Lightwave for my 3D CGI work.  For years, I let that program keep me in Windows.  Unfortunately, it's a slightly different case than some software.  See, I have Lightwave 10, which requires a hardware lock dongle that plugs into the USB port to work properly.  So, you need for the program to be able to access and use the USB port.  Well, Wine doesn't have USB support.  I've tried patching the source code with a USB patch and compiling it and the darn thing still won't find that dongle.  I even tried a demo of a newer version that doesn't use the dongle and it still doesn't work correctly.  So, I finally ditched Lightwave in favor of Blender, which will run on just about any desktop OS on the planet.  That allowed me to finally drop Windows.

Since I switched to Peppermint full time, I've installed a few programs using Wine.  Some are just games that I miss, and I have a couple of utilities that I like that I've found no substitute for.  In my case, I have Nvdiia graphics and running programs full screen on the current version of Wine can be tricky because of scaling issues.  However, I corrected that by simply running everything on Wine in a virtual desktop.

So, my question to people still clinging to Windows is just what the tile says:  Have you tried Wine?  It really is fantastic software.  If you're just clinging to Windows for one program or another, I'd really recommend trying it out to see if your software works with it, as opposed to keeping an entire OS installed just for one program.  Plus, then you have to reboot to use said program, it's a real pill.  Of course, not all software works with it, so I'd recommend trying it before you ax Windows entirely.  The Wine HQ's AppDB can be helpful to see if your software will or won't run, and it can also include hints on making things work.  Though, not everything is listed, and some test results are out of date, so you may have to experiment.  But, in my opinion, the little bit of work you may have to do can be worth it.

https://appdb.winehq.org/

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Re: Have you tried Wine?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:13:01 pm »
Hi there, I have tried Wine to run Corel Draw 12 (it's an old version, but it's the one I bought and works fine) as well as E-Sword. I am unable to complete the install in Wine for Corel Draw and even went as far as installing Windows XP in a virtual machine to try and install Corel Draw. No luck, still stuck as it does not install.

On a lighter note, Wine has worked with other games and programs that I have tried.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:17:06 pm »
Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of anybody getting CorelDraw to work with Wine.  Bummer on that one.  I use Inkscape, but I understand where that won't appeal to everyone.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 02:28:48 pm »
Of course, Wine does have its drawbacks.  Like this:

I am using an original disc, not a backup.  It's the one I bought in Walmart years ago.  It probably doesn't like the virtual system disc.  I've had this error before trying to run games on Windows installed on a Virtual Machine too.  ::)  Fortunately, the first two RollCoaster Tycoon games work great in Wine, because I love RCT.  The first two are better than the third anyway, in my opinion, so it's not a huge loss that the third one won't work.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »
Hi all,  Wine has its place in my setup and I do use it for windows progs I am used to - whilst working on finding Linux alternatives and do I really want to go through the pain of learning them.

For games in virtual machines - You may have to try utilities Like  YASU or SD4_hide or SafeDisc4Nightmarev1.4Eng or similar utilites that can help with virtual disk systems and original CD problems

Used to be loads of them about.  Can't remember any more unfortunately but a quick blast around the various forums for the games and I am sure you will find the answers.

One utility that simply cannot be replaced for me on Windows NTFS drives and does not work in Wine is "Search Everything" Once the database has initialized (5... 10 mins max on first run - a bit like updatedb) even on my system - filename searches are instantaneous.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:25:37 pm »
Eh, if it won't run in Wine, I just don't run it.  Really, I have dozens of games I can play.  Apart from what I have that works on Linux native and the few things I have installed with Wine, I have loads of console games I can play.  If it won't work, I just let it go.  ;)

I was trying to play one from the Win95 era the other day.  It's a two disc job where you use one disc to install and the other to play.  It installed fine but, once I went to play it, it just kept telling me to insert the Play disc, which I'd already done.  (yes, it was mounted too)  Likewise, when trying to install a software program from multiple discs, I generally find that it won't correctly read the second disc.  So, I think Wine just has CD/DVD drive issues.  But, for the most part, it works OK.  I generally find it's really good with downloaded software.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:54:48 pm »
when I first tried moving to Linux there were a few must have Windows programs that tied me to Windows for a while but eventually one by one I found alternatives or different ways of doing things.

I tried Wine on a few programs but to be honest I couldn't get anything to work just right and looking back I'm glad about that now because it forced me to look for native Linux/open source alternatives

To date there are only 2 programs tying me to Windows, Autodata (a car technical data program) and Quickbooks  as far as I know there are no alternatives to either of these and neither will run in Wine

Hell will freeze over before Autodata port their software to Linux and although there are sort of alternatives to Quickbooks nothing comes even close for Linux

due to the specialized nature of Autodata I can understand them not porting to LInux but I think it's a sorry weakness in Linux that there's no contender to Quickbooks because if there was I think it could go a long way to helping Linux adoption

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 05:22:16 pm »
I thought Autodata had already ported it to Linux .. OK, maybe not Linux but I thought they gone all online with it now which is obviously OS (and even hardware) agnostic.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:26:19 pm »
thought Autodata had already ported it to Linux .. OK, maybe not Linux but I thought they gone all online with it now which is obviously OS (and even hardware) agnostic.

I know they're doing online updates on a subscription basis but maybe I've spoke out of line I'll have to look into it again

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 05:44:03 pm »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 08:52:40 pm »
Yeah, some software just has no Linux alternative, which is why I suggested Wine.

One thing that helped me in my transition to Linux is being poor.  I know people who do CGI who are married to Adobe software and other expensive stuff.  I've never used Photoshop, or any of the expensive drawing programs because I couldn't afford them.  I got used to using open source programs like Gimp and Inkscape.  So, there was nothing to adjust to there.  Just that 3D software thing.  But, fortunately, Blender has really improved over the past few years.  Now, if only somebody would make some special effects software for Linux.  ;)