Author Topic: Mother-in-law very happy with Peppermint Six  (Read 1954 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Mother-in-law very happy with Peppermint Six
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:34:43 pm »
Hi everyone, I thought a good idea to report another success story.  My 72 year old Bulgarian Mother-in-law, wanted a little laptop to surf the web, email, Skype, read newspapers and play Belot online.   She is by no means computer literate.  I managed to pick up from Marktplaats a sweet Acer Aspire One D250 for €65.  it came with a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 processor, a  160GB HDD and 1GB of RAM.  I had a 2GB memory card laying around, so I bunged than in to max it out.  Incidental, upgrading the D250 is so easy.  You don't have to dismantle the whole machine to do it.  It came with Windows 7 installed.  Needless to say, it limped alone like a three legged donkey on its way to the knacker's yard.  The wife was moaning at me that her mother won't understand Linux.  I told her she doesn't understand Windows either and Peppermint after I've customized it, will be much easier for an older person to use and maintain.  She won't have to worry about buying an antivirus programme or installing dodgy programmes and keeping them all synced and updated.  With that taken care of, the HDD was nuked and a new partition table was set up.  15GB /root, 10GB /home, 4GB /swap and the rest as a DATA partition with symlinks.  The installation was faultless.  The only thing I had to do after the installation had finished, was to install the Broadcom B43 driver for the wireless card.   That was no big deal thanks to these outstanding instructions: Broadcom Wireless Installation Instructions.  The Chromium Browser was swapped for Google Chrome.  That's had a few security addons installed, just a to help keep her safe. 

Our Ice application proved itself really useful.   After installing Bulgarian Language support.  I added a new section to the menu called, "вестник" newspaper in Bulgarian.  SSDs were made of all her favourite newspapers and magazines and manually added to this menu section.  Skype, DuckDuckGo and Google are all set up in Bulgarian.  The search engines are set to provide local searches.  Bulgarian online games have been made into SSBs for her too.  I've also installed LibreOffice with Bulgarian Language support for her.  The global language settings are now set also to Bulgarian and the keyboard can be toggled from British English to Bulgarian (phonetic).  It's a really simple set up and it suits the netbook format really well.  For maintenance, Teamviewer 10 has been installed.  I can easily manage her netbook remotely.   The machine has been handed over to her and she absolutely thrilled.  She can easily stay in touch with family and friends, play games and surf the web in comfort and relative safety.   Everything just works - perfectly  ;)!  She knows how to use mintUpdate and the SSBs make life so simple for her.  She's all set and ready to go.  Well done Peppermint Six, thanks to its flexibility and simplicity  It's made one older lady very happy indeed  ;).

Edit:  My mother-in-law is really over the moon with her new Peppermint Six Acer Aspire One D250.  She asked me today, in her very broken English, if we could go out and find a brand new mouse carpet for it.  I think that's the perfect finishing touch to a very successful installation  ;D!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:08:23 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Mother-in-law very happy with Peppermint Six
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:40:24 pm »
Hi AndyInMokum,

What a great and inspirational tale! You are a jewel to have as a son-in-law  ;D

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 01:05:38 pm »
Hi AndyInMokum,

What a great and inspirational tale! You are a jewel to have as a son-in-law  ;D

Regards,

-- Slim
Thanks Slim, it was really fun to set up.  Doing this really shows how configurable and flexible Peppermint is.  Everything is set up so an older person can easily use their computer without it being so simplified, it's patronizing.  Honestly, my mother-in-law is smiling from ear to ear  ;D.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 03:26:47 pm »
Great stuff Andy, tales like this are inspirational .. cheers for sharing :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline gurdonark

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Gurdonark
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 05:52:52 pm »
Great story.  I see that Atom CPU on used computers sometimes, and  wondered if Peppermint would work well on it for this type of light use. Sounds like the answer is yes!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:55:24 am »
Great story.  I see that Atom CPU on used computers sometimes, and  wondered if Peppermint would work well on it for this type of light use. Sounds like the answer is yes!
Oh yes, Peppermint loves the intel Atom processor.  It's like they're made for each other  ;).