Choose style:

Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to re-install Peppermint OS 6 without losing data?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline AnggaRifandi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
I need to re-install the OS because previously I installed elementary-desktop (Pantheon) using PPA and after it was removed the system show some error Gtk error message.

Previously I already created different partition for system and data. Is it safe to re-install by format the system data (dev/sda2) without losing my home data?

I already googling about this and still can not find solution related with re-install in Peppermint OS.

Thank you
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:35:56 pm by AnggaRifandi »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: How to re-install Peppermint OS 6 without losing data?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 02:55:26 am »
Hi AnggaRifandi welcome to the Peppermint Forum  8).  You've made a separate /home partition.  Yes, it's safe to reinstall your system and preserve your /home partition.  The world is an imperfect place though.  Make a backup of all critical data before you reinstall.  This is not because something bad is likely to happen.  It's just a very wise precaution  ;).

In the Ubiquity installer you'll need to select the Something Else option from the install options screen.  From there, you're going to manually select which partitions to use in the reinstall.  Make sure you only select your root / partition.  Have the installer format it to ext4, if you have not already done so.  All the other partitions, tell the installer, Not to use them.  Proceed with the installation.  You'll need to reinstall your user software packages because the reinstallation will have wiped them.  It's a good idea to make a list of what you have installed.

Using a /home partition is great for when you're staying with the same distro and the same release version of the distro.  The configuration files are also stored in the /home partition.  Newer versions of a distro will have access to newer software.  The old configuration files stored on your /home folder may cause conflicts that seriously affect your machines performance.  To the point where, it may not work.  To eliminate this issue, many of people use a separate DATA partition, (myself included) to store all of their critical data.  This is different from a /home partition.  It eliminates the need for a separate /home partition, although you can still optionally use one.  You use symlinks from your home folder to link the critical data stored on the DATA partition.  Only your configuration files are physically stored in your home folder.  This makes reinstallation or, more importantly upgrades to a new version a very quick and easy task.  It also allows you to do some Distro Hopping with ease because you won't have the config file conflicts.

Slim.Fatz has written a really good tutorial on how to create a DATA partition and symlinks, (symlinks rock  ;)): How To: Use symlinks to a DATA partition.  I highly recommend you consider using DATA partition.  It helps to make life with your distro really easy ;).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:36:18 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline AnggaRifandi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:43:04 am »
Thank you @AndyInMokum for the answer.

Based on your explanation is it true that I need at least three partitions: System (/), Home (/home for system configuration), and Data?
Do I need to use Ex4 type for Data partition or leave it blank (in Gparted?)

Thank you for your answer.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 10:01:22 am »
Thank you @AndyInMokum for the answer.

Based on your explanation is it true that I need at least three partitions: System (/), Home (/home for system configuration), and Data?
Do I need to use Ex4 type for Data partition or leave it blank (in Gparted?)

Thank you for your answer.
No, if you're going to use a separate DATA partition.  The /home folder is optional.  If you're going to use the DATA partition to store folders from Linux systems.  You are best to format it in GParted to ext4.  If you're going to use it to share folders with a dual boot with Windows.  You format it in GParted to NTFS..  Linux can read and write to NTFSWindows can't read and write to ext4.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.