Choose style:

Author Topic: Google Chrome within Peppermint's and Ubuntu's Software Managers [SOLVED]  (Read 1344 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hello my friends at Peppermint,

When I install Chrome within Peppermint, this browser ends up being listed within our Software manager as what it is --Chrome Browser Stable.  ;)  But, when I download Chrome within Xubuntu, Chrome ends up being categorized within Xubuntu's Software Manager as a unknown program from an unknown source.

Why does Chrome become a recognized program within Peppermint while it is listed as an unknown program within Ubuntu's Software Manager?  This makes no sense to me, and I do not believe that Ubuntu (Xubuntu) does not recognize Chrome browser when I download it to Xubuntu.

Does anyone here have any theories to help explain this difference between the actions of the two software centers when it comes to downloading Chrome browser to their respective repositories?  The idea of labeling Chrome as an "unknown" program within Ubuntu doesn't make any sense to me.  :-\

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:11:38 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Chrome within Peppermint's SM as to that of Chrome within Ubuntu's SM?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:14:51 pm »
I'd guess that the Mint team programmed their Software Manager (Mintinstall) to recognize Chrome, Canonical didn't.  It could even gather the required information from the .deb packages.  That's all it takes.  Since Chrome isn't available in the repositories, it probably takes extra steps for the Software Managers to recognize things installed via .deb packages.  Mintinstall recognizes my games I bought from GOG and installed via .deb packages too, it's hard to say if the Ubuntu Software Center would recognize them.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Google Chrome within Peppermint's and Ubuntu's Software Managers
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 04:16:07 pm »
Hello scifidude79. 

I wondered if it would boil down to being a Mint versus Ubuntu issue between the two software managers.

If so, I like Mint's software manager better.  Related to this question is the fact that yesterday Chromium just made its browser more like Chrome's for multiple users.  One of the charms of using Chromium browser before was that it had allowed two (or more) easy-to-see picture icons in the top left corner of the screen for multiple users.  This WAS an excellent feature.  In our case Mrs. perknh had a gal icon depicting her, and I had a guy icon --it was all so user-friendly.  But now, if you have multiple users, your names come up, but in tiny letters within and on the right side of the tab bar.  Now Chromium browser IS just as much of a nuisance to see and to use as Chrome browser was before. ::)  I figure now, if this is going to be the case from here on out, we might as well use the browser that has its reputation riding behind it.  After all, the two browsers are nearly identical anyway.

If I'm adopting a bad policy here within Linux, please anyone, be not afraid to share a counter viewpoint with me.  I'm am an OSS guy by nature.  But in this particular case, I don't see much difference between using one browser or the other any longer.  So thank you, scifidude79, for taking a good stab at that question.  Your answer makes a lot of sense. 

This, to me, is one excellent example of why Mint's software manager is superior to Ubuntu's software manager itself.  Team Peppermint has been wise to choose Mint's software manager for Peppermint Linux OS.  Thank you, Team Peppermint!  :)

And thank you, scifidude79.  ;)

perknh
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:08:06 pm by perknh »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Chrome within Peppermint's SM as to that of Chrome within Ubuntu's SM?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 04:53:25 pm »
I don't really have any opinion of either software manager, as I don't use either.  I use either the terminal or Synaptic to install software.  However, if Mintinstall can find installed .deb packages and list them by name and the Ubuntu Software Center can't, I would definitely say that Mintinstall is a better program.

Can't say I really knew any of that about Chrome or Chromium either.  I knew there was an update, but I only have Chromium installed for watching videos that need Flash.  Otherwise, I use Firefox.  That's weird that they changed how the users are displayed.  It sounds inconvenient.  :(

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Google Chrome within Peppermint's and Ubuntu's Software Managers
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 05:05:28 pm »
I don't really have any opinion of either software manager, as I don't use either...That's weird that they changed how the users are displayed.  It sounds inconvenient.  :(

Hi scifidude79,

Yes, it is more inconvenient.  Two days ago it was a snap to see whose browser's interface was on the screen.  Now you really have to look to see whose is whose.  This is a good example of when newer isn't always better.  Still, I'm sure we'll adapt and get used to this change however.  ;)

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:09:27 pm by perknh »