Choose style:

Author Topic: Bootable USBs refuse to boot  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Brotherred

• No0b
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 8 on 386, Pep 9 on AMD 64
Bootable USBs refuse to boot
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:38:34 pm »
I had  this issue back on Peppermint 4 and still have it on Pep6. But this is the first time posting about it.

With my USB selected as a boot option or even specified in the BIOS my computer refuses to boot my Multisystem drive for some unknown reason. I recently booted this same drive from a friends PC not long ago.
"Those that don't know pay for it. My currency is pride"

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Bootable USBs refuse to boot
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 12:44:49 am »
Have you booted this drive previously on that computer?  What filesystem or filesystems are on the drive?  When you say multisystem, do you mean you have operating systems installed on it?  And, lastly, what does the computer do when you try to boot it?  Does it just skip the drive altogether and boot your installed OS or does it try to boot the drive and fail?

There are a lot of things that could be causing this.  It could be something simple like a BIOS setting, or it could be an incompatibility with your computer.  But, we can't begin to diagnose the problem without more information.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:47:43 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:41:00 pm »
UEFI ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Brotherred

• No0b
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 8 on 386, Pep 9 on AMD 64
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 10:57:36 pm »
I realized after posting that I of course put this in the Software and Applications thread. I also saw then that it should be in the hardware thread.

I do not have EUFI on this older PC. The file systems are fat32 and virtual Ext4. Virtual meaning that this is the main portable drive that I installed an Peppermint and other operating systems on some time ago. On this drive I have Peppermint 3 LIVE with out persistence, and two versions of UBCD.

Something seems to have happened to the PC and its BIOS so that it NO LONGER boots this drive. I originally made this Multisystem drive with the Multisystem project on this PC and have booted from it on this PC. What I can not seem to figure out is why it will not boot now.

Regards
"Those that don't know pay for it. My currency is pride"

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:56:21 pm »
Hello Brotherred, I myself am new to Linux operating systems and by no way can give you any advice about software BUT prior to installing Peppermint on my older computer I was backing up files into an 8gb memory stick. Well one day it just wouldn't work, drove me nuts. One tech asked me to try plugging into one of the rear USB slots and sure enough the stick worked great. So I opened  the tower and unplugged the front card reader/Usb slot from the motherboard and replugged it in. Now it works fine and I'm on to more challenges like Peppermint. Have you tried anything like that, it's easy to do?
What was I thinking?