Author Topic: Has Linux finally found a solid cloud distribution?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Has Linux finally found a solid cloud distribution?
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:07:12 am »
Has Linux finally found a solid cloud distribution?

By Jack Wallen for TechRepublic

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/has-linux-finally-found-a-solid-cloud-distribution/

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:09:38 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Re: Has Linux finally found a solid cloud distribution?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:33:20 am »
A very interesting read.

With the spotty Internet connection that I currently enjoy cloud only is not an option for me.

It is nice to have though, and if infrastructure improves will be worth using.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:53:15 am »
Windows 10 is currently being slated for trying to force cloud services down peoples throats .. we will NOT be doing the same, as far as I'm concerned Peppermint is about giving you the options and tools to choose your OWN mix of cloud and local .. then leaving it up to you.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:05:35 am »
Windows 10 is currently being slated for trying to force cloud services down peoples throats .. we will NOT be doing the same, as far as I'm concerned Peppermint is about giving you the options and tools to choose your OWN mix of cloud and local .. then leaving it up to you.

Even though I already knew this, it's always great to hear it from the head honchos.  Because, the minute someone forces anything on me is the minute I'm looking for alternatives.  Heck, that's why I love Linux.  Freedom of choice.   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 12:20:00 pm »
Are open source hacks confused about the direction Linux should take or what? .. the above article from Jack Wallen wants us to go down the "OS as a (cloud) service" route .. and in the other link perknh recently posted:
http://www.itworld.com/article/2969704/linux/windows-10-privacy-concerns-may-help-linux.html
Jim Lynch suggests Linux may benefit precisely because we don't :)

"Freedom of choice" .. yeah that's the way forward, there's no need for absolutes :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:19:35 pm »
I think the Cloud should always remain an option for those who want to use it, but don't try to force hapless millions to share everything on there like M$ is trying to do.  (I think that's the point PCNetSpec is trying to make too)  Don't force it, don't block it, just let it bet there.  People who like it can use it, people who don't like it can ignore its existence.  It's the only win-win.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 03:20:54 pm »
What  he said :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 03:35:22 pm »
You know what's a bad company for forcing the Cloud on their users?  Apple.  Yet, somehow they're heralded for it, while Microsoft is booed for it.   :-\  I'll be that confuses Microsoft too.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't the iPhone automatically upload photos and all kinds of stuff to your iCloud, or whatever it's called?  I think I heard once that it's an opt-out program, not an opt-in.  I think it uploads all kinds of stuff too, like user and contact data.  People love that service and yet whine when M$ starts a very similar service.  Is it just me, or is that a bit hypocritical?  Me, I'd never use either one.  I don't touch iAnything.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 04:45:26 pm »
I think the Cloud should always remain an option for those who want to use it, but don't try to force hapless millions to share everything on there like M$ is trying to do.  (I think that's the point PCNetSpec is trying to make too)  Don't force it, don't block it, just let it bet there.  People who like it can use it, people who don't like it can ignore its existence.  It's the only win-win.
It's what we're all about, freedom of choice.  It's the only way  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:36 pm »
After giving this more thought, I've come to a different conclusion concerning Jack Wallen's article here.  Peppermint should consider this article as a compliment.  Wallen clearly sees that the most capable and Linux-savvy members within this distribution are ones who are most well-portioned to integrate the first Linux desktop to the Cloud.  That's really what it's all about.  Jack Wallen's article here should be seen as nothing less than one great big giant compliment to the development team at Peppermint Linux OS!  :)  After further reflection, that's my takeaway from this article, anyway!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:13:07 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm