Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows 10 privacy concerns may help Linux  (Read 2788 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Windows 10 privacy concerns may help Linux
« on: August 14, 2015, 06:59:48 am »
Windows 10 privacy concerns may help Linux

by Jim Lynch for ITworld

http://www.itworld.com/article/2969704/linux/windows-10-privacy-concerns-may-help-linux.html
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Windows 10 privacy concerns may help Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:08:27 am »
I'd say it already is....

I've never seen "Linux" mentioned as many times in comments on Windows articles around the web .. this time, people seem to understand there are options  :D
(we're also getting some "I'm fed up with Windows and want to try Linux, Microsoft have gone too far with Win10 and their new TOS" type enquiries at my other forum)

That said, I don't think it's going to turn your average Fekbooker who'll have a quick whinge then post another picture of their cat  :o
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:09:35 am »
To be honest, PCNetSpec, I felt I was pushing the envelope placing this article within this forum.  If I could do it again, I would have placed it within an ongoing thread.  That said, I did just help bring a couple of friends of mine over from Windows to Linux last week.  And why?  They just don't like the general direction in which Windows has been heading --especially concerning matters of privacy!

I think more people care about privacy than we might imagine, but just don't know how to go about getting it.  These people know Windows, and Windows is all they know.  They just don't know how to make the leap from Windows to something else.  Peppermint's forum is extremely helpful in bringing people over to Linux, but I'd venture a guess that Arch's forum is not nearly as much so.  Still I think Linux's biggest hurdle is hardware.  From Windows 8 on up, it's getting harder and harder for Linux users to piggyback off of computers that were originally made to run Windows.  And as as we have learned from lend27 (who as AndyInMokum has said is a genuine superstar in this forum), putting a distro of GNU/Linux onto a Chromebook (which is already Linux!) proves to be an especially difficult challenge indeed.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:17:13 am »
Quote from: perknh
Still I think Linux's biggest hurdle is hardware.  From Windows 8 on up, it's getting harder and harder for Linux users to piggyback off of computers that were originally made to run Windows.

Getting Peppermint onto newer UEFI/Secureboot hardware is about to get MASSIVELY easier ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:34:37 am »
Yeah, Linux may get a few hundred more users out of this, not much more.  That's not pessimism, that's realism.  Likely, the biggest benefactor of Windows 10's problems will be Windows 7.  Most people will simply downgrade back to that, or just not upgrade to 10 from 7, not caring that it will be no longer supported in about 4.5 years.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 11:42:18 am »
Downgrading to (or not upgrading from) Windows 7 won't be an option for the people who buy a new PC with Win10 on it though ;)

Strangely, I think this Win10 privacy thing is going to push more towards dropping Windows than the Win8 UI thing did .. Sure it's NOT going to be the sudden death of Windows, but I also don't see Windows 10 having remedied anything that was ALREADY causing a s-l-o-w exodus (in fact they've added a few reasons).

Windows will continue to haemorrhage .. and I'll continue to not give a flying........ ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:49:17 am »
Downgrading to (or not upgrading from) Windows 7 won't be an option for the people who buy a new PC with Win10 on it though ;)

Downgrading is always an option.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B00H09BB16/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1439567077&sr=1-1&keywords=Windows+7

(it sucks you can only get the OEM discs now, but that's f***ing Microsoft for you)

Windows will continue to haemorrhage .. and I'll continue to not give a flying........ ;)

You and me both.  I'm watching the whole thing unfold and I find I totally don't care.  It doesn't affect me and never will.

The only thing that may be affected is my XBOX 360, though I don't even know what they have planned for those.  I haven't turned it on recently to see if there's an "update" waiting for me.  But, it's not like I use that for anything more than gaming anyway.  I have no major info on there.  Plus, if I really wanted to, i could just remove the WIFI adapter, because I have an older model without built in WIFI.

EDIT:  It looks like I don't have to worry about the 360, they haven't released the next "big" update for it yet.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:57:29 am by scifidude79 »

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 01:57:10 pm »
I say chromebooks will continue to blossom. Apple sales will soar and I am sure that people who are willing to look further will discover Linux.

Not sure how many though, but I am hopeful.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 02:19:38 pm »
With today's Cloud centric thinking, I believe Chromebooks will continue to rise also.  And remember, Chrome OS uses the Linux kernel, so it's still Linux.   8)

What I'd like to see (but I've been saying this for years) is more big PC manufacturers stepping up with some serious Linux options.  Stores that sell computers also need to grow some stones and start offering them.  The only way you're really going to get users to switch is if they can shop for Linux computers just as easily as they can shop for Windows computers.  Stores like Amazon, NewEgg, Tiger Direct, even Best Buy need to be selling them alongside Windows and Mac computers if you want to see more users.  And, I'm not just talking about Ubuntu, people need to see a range of options available.  Though, even those stores selling Ubuntu computers would be a healthy start.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 02:59:07 pm »
What I meant was a FREE downgrade won't be an option for people who buy Win10 preinstalled PCs

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 06:21:40 pm »
What I meant was a FREE downgrade won't be an option for people who buy Win10 preinstalled PCs

True.  It won't be free.  Nothing ever is with Microsoft.  I have a feeling Windows 10 users are going to realize that sooner or later.

Of course, there's always a free upgrade that's a short (or long, depending on the .iso size and speed of your Internet) download away...

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 09:49:56 am »
I often watch and sometimes comment on a political website and I can't tell you the number of people posting who are having nightmares upgrading to Windows 10,  data loss, blank screens on reboot, touchpad not working and when I point out the privacy issues many don't believe it I can see a few moving over to Linux and peppermint (with a little coaxing from me)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 10:47:04 am »
I often watch and sometimes comment on a political website and I can't tell you the number of people posting who are having nightmares upgrading to Windows 10,  data loss, blank screens on reboot, touchpad not working and when I point out the privacy issues many don't believe it I can see a few moving over to Linux and peppermint (with a little coaxing from me)

Graeme

I run games on Steam and I see a lot of compatibility issue threads regarding games and Windows 10 on the forums.  In one game's discussions alone, you can find dozens of threads about the subject.  (It makes you wonder if some people even know if there's a search function, but that's not the point here.)  When I see those, I just chuckle to myself and think ,"The game works great on Linux."  :)  I know better than to say anything to that effect to some of those dedicated Windows users.  They don't want to hear it.  So, I don't say it.  But, it's true.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 11:24:04 am »

Graeme

I run games on Steam and I see a lot of compatibility issue threads regarding games and Windows 10 on the forums.  In one game's discussions alone, you can find dozens of threads about the subject.  (It makes you wonder if some people even know if there's a search function, but that's not the point here.)  When I see those, I just chuckle to myself and think ,"The game works great on Linux."  :)  I know better than to say anything to that effect to some of those dedicated Windows users.  They don't want to hear it.  So, I don't say it.  But, it's true.
You show great restraint.  If it was me, I'd let 'em know it works just fine on the Linux desktop.  I see it as a perfect opportunity to publicize the fact,  you don't need Windows every time to run games.  If Windows users don't like it or, if it dents their pride; tough luck.  They chose to use that OS  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 03:58:36 pm »
It's not so much restraint as it's just that I don't want to get in a fight on Steam.  (I guess that is sort of restraint)  The discussion will go something like this:

1. User whines about game not working on Windows.
2. I suggest Linux.
3. 20 other people pop up out of nowhere to spout off M$ propoganda about how you can't do this or that in Linux.
4. I refute their claims, possibly joined by other Linux users.
5. Somebody along the way mentions how you can't run Windows games on Linux.
6. I (and possibly others) mention WINE.
7. They get mad and start being morons about it, others join in.
8. I get mad.
9. Everybody's mad, nobody is happy and the user who started the thread likely still won't switch to Linux.

I've been involved in and observed conversations like that all over the Internet over the years.  I've learned it's best to pick your battles and know when it's best to just stay out of it.  Now, if somebody asks about Linux, I'll answer questions truthfully and to the best of my ability.  But, I no longer suggest it to people who don't ask.  Usually, if people don't ask about it, they really don't want to hear about it.