Choose style:

Author Topic: Chrome icon on Plank Dock  (Read 3610 times)

Offline charlie

• nOOb
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Chrome icon on Plank Dock
« on: August 14, 2015, 05:55:46 am »
Plank is an excellent lightweight dock that works very well with Peppermint OS. 

One hiccup with Plank is that one cannot "keep in dock" the Google Chrome icon, however I have found the solution to this problem.

Code: [Select]
sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop

then in two places, above

Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable
&

Exec=/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --incognito

Paste the following and Save.

StartupWMClass=Google-chrome-stable

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:06:42 am by charlie »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Chrome icon on Plank Dock
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 08:36:31 am »
Nice ..  I'm going to move this to the "User submitted tutorials" board unless there are any objections ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline charlie

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:27:19 am »
Nice ..  I'm going to move this to the "User submitted tutorials" board unless there are any objections ?

NP. I tried to delete it after posting, as I realised it was in the wrong spot, but remove was blocked. Thanks for doing it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:40:00 am »
Done :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:15:09 am »
This is the first I've heard of this issue with Plank.   I'm using a developer's version via PPA that was recommended by: VinDSL.  It is has never given me any issues.  If anyone would like to try this version, here is the link to the PPA: https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/ubuntu/docky.  For Plank, you must install it as plank not docky  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline charlie

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:24:24 am »
This is the first I've heard of this issue with Plank.   I'm using a developer's version via PPA that was recommended by: VinDSL.  It is has never given me any issues.  If anyone would like to try this version, here is the link to the PPA: https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/ubuntu/docky.  For Plank, you must install it as plank not docky  ;).

I use this PPA version too.  I've installed it on three machines and a VB, and all have the same issue.  When Google Chrome is open the icon appears in the Plack dock, but when you right click on the icon it doesn't offer to "keep in dock".  When Google chrome is closed the icon disappears from the dock.  I believe this issue is also related to why Chrome opens are a second icon in Elementary's and Gnome Shell's docks.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:04:35 am »

I use this PPA version too.  I've installed it on three machines and a VB, and all have the same issue.  When Google Chrome is open the icon appears in the Plack dock, but when you right click on the icon it doesn't offer to "keep in dock".  When Google chrome is closed the icon disappears from the dock.  I believe this issue is also related to why Chrome opens are a second icon in Elementary's and Gnome Shell's docks.
How odd, I've no problem with the Google Chrome in the Plank.  I drag and drop it into the dock. It offers to: Keep in Dock with a check beside it.  I then lock the icons in place from the preferences.   When I right click on it again, it offer to open in a New Window or New Incognito Window.  That's it,  It just stays there, weird eh  :-\.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline charlie

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 01:57:25 pm »
It gets weirder.....

I've also tried to add by the following.

Menu - Internet - Right click on Google Chrome Icon - add to desktop
Launch Google Chrome from icon and set as 'trusted'
Drag and drop icon from Desktop onto Plank Dock.

All looks fine. Right click on Google Chrome Plack icon and 'Keep in dock' is selected.

However, if one deletes the desktop Google Chrome icon, after a few seconds the Plank icon flashes and disappears.