Choose style:

Author Topic: Trouble installing Brother HL-2270DW - SOLVED  (Read 2895 times)

Offline WaltH

• Know Enough To Be Dangerous
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
Trouble installing Brother HL-2270DW - SOLVED
« on: August 13, 2015, 04:08:17 pm »
I am test-driving the Live USB version of Peppermint 6 to see whether I should switch over (come back) from Manjaro. However, I am having an issue trying to get my wireless network printer connected. (This was also a problem in Manjaro, although I eventually did get it working). When I go through the process of trying to add it - Menu > System Tools > Printers - I get the following error:
Code: [Select]
Missing driver: Printer 'HL2270DW' requires the '/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperHL2270DW' program but it is not currently installed.  Please install it before using this printer.
However, that program does not seem to exist in Peppermint that I can find. Manjaro does have it, though I don't remember ever encountering this message, and a search of the forum indicates Peppermint had it. Did that change? (I did a distribution upgrade while running the Live USB to get all of the latest software, but I was unable to get the printer running before that, either.)

Brother does seem to have some hoops I can jump through to maybe get it running, but I had hoped it would be easier. Any suggestions? I ran Peppermint a while back, and it seems like it's improved in many ways, but if I can't get printing working, I can't use it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:54:32 pm by WaltH »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Trouble installing Brother HL-2270DW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 05:13:22 pm »
Try this .. open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:
sudo apt-get install brother-cups-wrapper-laser
then
mkdir ~/brother-driver
then
cd ~/brother-driver
then
wget https://github.com/bvanheu/brother/archive/master.zip
then
unzip master.zip
then
sudo cp -v ~/brother-driver/brother-master/HL2270DW/brlpdwrapperHL2270DW /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperHL2270DW
then
sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperHL2270DW
then
sudo cp -v ~/brother-driver/brother-master/HL2270DW/HL2270.PPD /usr/share/ppd/Brother/HL2270.ppd
Now try installing your printer in the normal way.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:26:43 pm »
Try this .. open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:
sudo apt-get install brother-cups-wrapper-laser
then
mkdir ~/brother-driver
then
cd ~/brother-driver
then
wget https://github.com/bvanheu/brother/archive/master.zip
then
unzip master.zip
then
sudo cp -v ~/brother-driver/brother-master/HL2270DW/brlpdwrapperHL2270DW /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperHL2270DW
then
sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperHL2270DW
thenh
sudo cp -v ~/brother-driver/brother-master/HL2270DW/HL2270.PPD /usr/share/ppd/Brother/HL2270.ppd
Now try installing your printer in the normal way.
Okay, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:10:37 pm »
 :( :( Didn't work. I get an Idle - Filter failed error. For what it's worth, I'm trying to connect wirelessly as moving the printer is a bit of a hassle (it belongs to my wife's Windows machine). As I said before, I was able to get this working in Manjaro, but I don't remember whether it was through the distro's Printer app or directly through CUPS. However, I am unable to log into CUPS directly as it does not like whatever password I use (although it is possible I don't know what the correct username and password for the live environment are).

I tried using the assigned ipp:// address (as copied from the CUPS folder in my Manjaro installation) and also tried simply having the Printers utility detect the network printer. The utility finds it but assigns lpd://BRN30055C4512A5/BINARY_P1 as the URI. As I recall, I had trouble using this type of URI in Manjaro as well. I seem to recall that using an ipp:// with an assigned static ip was what worked then, but it does not seem to work now.

I'm willing to keep trying things, but I'm not really sure where to go or what to do next. Thanks for your efforts thus far.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:21:51 pm »
[EDIT]

Ignore below for a second.

So the problem isn't the driver, but the fact that it's wireless and you're not sure of the URI ?

[END EDIT]

Why not try changing your password ;)
sudo passwd <username>

the add the printer via the PPD file in CUPS
http://localhost:631
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:26:42 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline WaltH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:30:45 pm »
[EDIT]

Ignore below for a second.

So the problem isn't the driver, but the fact that it's wireless and you're not sure of the URI ?

[END EDIT]

Why not try changing your password ;)
sudo passwd <username>

the add the printer via the PPD file in CUPS
http://localhost:631
Actually, I do have the URI. I copied from the config file in Manjaro. I also went to the Brother website and tried the driver download and process they outline and, while the command line says my printer is an unknown printer when all is said and done, I was able to print a test page from the CUPS admin page. So, I guess it works. I guess that means I'll try installing Peppermint and go from there and come back if I have new questions. Thanks again.

EDIT: I'll wait to mark this solved until I have Peppermint 6 installed to the hard drive and can make sure things still work. Fingers crossed.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 08:40:59 am »
Sure .. good luck :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec