Choose style:

Author Topic: Older Linux Installation DVDs: Toss them or keep them? [SOLVED]  (Read 2430 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Every time Ubuntu, or Manjaro, bumps up to a newer version of one of their distributions, I find myself in a conundrum.  I begin to wonder if I should hold on to the installation DVD for that particular distribution, or if I should create a newer DVD when I wish to install and explore that partiular distribution again.  :-\

Then, I thought to myself, why not ask the members of Peppermint what they do when they discover that their Linux installation DVDs are one or two versions behind the current version that is now being offered?  Do my friends here reuse the same installation DVDs --making sure to do plenty of updating and upgrading?  Or do my friends here toss their DVDs out and start all over again in order to create newer, and current, installation DVDs? 

Fortunately, we don't have this problem in Peppermint. ;)   As long as a version of Peppermint is being supported (currently Peppermint 3, 5, & 6), the installation DVD is good.  But with Ubuntu, or Manjaro, they keep bumping up versions of the same release time and time again.  On one hand I wonder if it is a bad practice to update and upgrade older versions of a distribution when newer Linux installation files are being offered.  But, on the other hand, I think reusing, updating and upgrading might be the most practical thing to do.  I just don't know.

What do you guys and gals of Peppermint do when exploring these other Linux distributions and you discover that your installation DVDs are slightly out-of-date?  Do you toss them or do you keep them?

My sincere thanks for any suggestions.  These older, and slightly out-of-date, DVDs are beginning to pile around here!

Thank you.

perknh
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:47:40 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Older Linux Installation DVDs: Toss them or keep them?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:58:46 am »
DV-what  :-\?  Joking aside, I haven't used a DVD in a couple of years.  When I did, I used to burn to a DVD-RW at a slow speed.  That never gave me any problems.  Now I just use an old 4GB thumb drive I found laying on the pavement/sidewalk; without Stuxnet I hasten to add ;D!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:41:37 am »
Hi perknh,

I follow the same path as AndyInMokum -- usb thumb drives are my installation media. Before that, however, I always used a new DVD or CD-ROM and burned a new installation ISO. Installing an older one and then updating to the newer things was to slow for me, and sometimes did not work (which made me waste even more time). Also, although not so much anymore, the installers typically worked better (or sometimes worked at all  ::) ) with newer versions.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:13:51 am »
...I used to burn to a DVD-RW at a slow speed.  That never gave me any problems.  Now I just use an old 4GB thumb drive I found laying on the pavement/sidewalk; without Stuxnet I hasten to add ;D!

That's a good tip, but a great story, AndyinMokum.  Your story is about the proverbial flash dive that we're all supposed to stumble upon one day on the sidewalk.  You know, the flash drive that you're NOT supposed to put into your computer! 

But, in your case, Andy, this experience has proven to be nothing less than an auspicious sign:  Only Mokum's very own flash drive faery could have left that there for you! ;D

And, Slim.Fatz, I can see here that the day of using DVDs for installation media is coming to an end.  You would toss the older DVDs then, and begin fresh with new installation media.  Good to know.

Thank you, Andy and Slim,

perknh

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:21:28 pm »
My desktop has this weird thing where it won't boot from a Fat 32 formatted drive, which is required by most Live USB writers, except doing it from the terminal.  It's something in the motherboard.  (It probably realizes it was built in 2012 and Fat 32 is so '90s.)  So, I still do the DVD thing.  Though, as Andy said, I just use DVD-RW discs and blank them when I don't need a particular release or distribution anymore.  That kills any "to throw away or not" dilemma and it stops me from wasting a disc on a dud.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:23:20 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:05:30 pm »
The correct answer is "it depends"....

Sometimes respins are just an ISO image with all updates to date included .. other times they contain some software changes.

IIRC, the Peppermint 3 respin went back to the desktop notification system used in Peppermint 2 (as users preferred it that way) .. updating Peppermint 3 installed via the original ISO would NOT have given you this change.

Same as Updating Ubuntu 14.04 will NOT give you the kernel and graphics stack from 14.04.2 and 14.04.3 .. it requires some work on your part to end up in exactly the same place ;)

[EDIT]

Some of the better  distros will tell you how to arrive at the same place with the original ISO:
http://peppermintos.com/2012/11/peppermint-three-re-spins-are-now-available/
;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:12:13 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Older Linux Installation DVDs: Toss them or keep them? [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:21:17 am »
Thanks everybody,

Those were fun responses.  :) 

I just tossed out six older DVDs as I plan to rejoin modernity and go back to using a flash drive for any future installations.  With the extremely rare installation exception noted in scifidude79's posts within this thread, all of you, including scifidude79 himself, have convinced me that using a USB flash drive really is the most sensible way for installing a Linux distribution now.  ;)

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:57:38 pm by perknh »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:42:39 am »
All of you have convinced me that using a USB flash drive really is the most sensible way for installing a Linux distribution now.  ;)

Unless your motherboard won't boot Fat32 filesystems, then it won't work unless you directly install the OS to the drive, without using any tools like the USB Image Writer or Unetbootin.   ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 12:20:46 pm »
Thank you, scifidude79, I edited my previous post so others will read your comment too. ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 12:40:19 pm »
It's not like it's that big of a deal.  I only have ever seen one computer that does this, it's my home built desktop with the Gigabyte motherboard.  I don't know why, other than the obvious answer of Fat32 being really old, that it won't boot from Fat systems, especially given that it appears to be the filesystem of choice for USB drives.  I guess Gigabyte felt it wasn't important to continue supporting that feature in their BIOS.

There is a way to format the drives directly from the terminal, with no need for a Fat filesystem to be installed.  PCNetSpec showed me how to do it a few years ago on the old forums:

http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=5203

Anybody who has this issue and wants to still use a USB drive could do that.

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 01:46:11 pm »
I haven't used DVDs in a while. Then my flash drives got stolen a few weeks back - along with my tablet and mp3 player.

So I burnt a Peppermint 6 CD.

I am not sure what I would do with old media, keeping a live disk on hand for backing up files on a dying PC is handy.

A nice way to introduce someone to Linux is by giving them such a disk. They might use it or they may not. But better to give it away than to throw it away.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 02:10:01 pm »
I don't know if they still do it, but Canonical used to mail Ubuntu and Kubuntu discs for free.  I think Red Hat did that too, but I never got any from them.  They did so many per month and you just had sign up early enough in the month to get your discs.  Limit X number per person in a few month span, of course.  In my opinion, that was a smart plan.  At little cost per disc, plus the price of snail mail, Canonical was hardly out any money with that program and they got their OS out there to the masses.  I had dialup Internet when I first tried Ubuntu and Kubuntu, so getting those free discs was a blessing.  However, replace the extremely cheap discs with USB drives and suddenly Canonical is out a lot of money.

The other great things about discs is magazines. I used to buy those to get distros when I first started with Linux due to the dialup Internet.  Just go to your local bookstore with a healthy magazine section (in my case, Barnes & Noble) and buy a Linux magazine, or more than one, with a DVD that had a few live disrtos on it.  Again, smart plan.

However, for home users downloading distros, Live USB is the way to got these days.  Unless you're like me and have a stack of DVD-RWs that you use for little else.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:14:41 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 04:13:35 pm »
One of the largest swaths of Planet Earth in which Windows has historically dominated as been in the world of Spanish-speaking culture within the Americas.  And coexisting for years within this culture, alongside Windows, have been cloned Windows OSes.  These people buying cheap cloned versions of Windows would be much better served using Linux.  How's that for a target audience for Linux OS --DVD or otherwise?*

* I'm doing my part now by introducing Peppermint to Panama.  I have a netbook, along with a actual wooden Peppermint flash drive, going to Panama City, Panama right now as I sit here writing this post! ;)   

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 04:33:00 pm »
Throw a shopping trolley into the canal for me .. or is that just Wolverhampton :-\

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec