Author Topic: Freedom of choice: 7 top Linux desktop environments compared  (Read 17881 times)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
Re: Freedom of choice: 7 top Linux desktop environments compared
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2015, 10:22:48 am »
I think Zorin OS comes with Wine preloaded. however I've heard that wine is not much stable

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2015, 10:32:20 am »
Apricity and SolydK both came with Wine preloaded too.  Zorin is based on Ubuntu, so it should have the same version that Peppermint 6 has, which is pretty stable.  Wine has some issues, what they are and the severity depends on which version you're using.  (apparently, the Debian Stable version is pretty old)  Other things can affect how it works, like the make and model of your graphics card.  I have issues with games running on fullscreen with my Nvidia card, so I run stuff in a virtual desktop.  Configuring your particular software can also be a pill.  Though, even with those issues, Wine can be worth the aggravation because certain software just has no Linux equivalent, no matter what some people say.  I mean, it's either that or go back to running Windows and I don't ever want to do that.

One thing to remember about Wine is that it's a project that is attempting to run programs that were designed for a closed source operating system family.  The fact that it works at all is a testament to those who work on the project.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2015, 10:45:29 am »
I once tried to use an app called "PlayOnLinux" on Lubuntu, which uses wine but miserably failed in running my favourite windows games. I heard from a lot of people that wine has issues and hence, they made a dual boot PC. Someday, Wine will achieve near-perfect stability and that day will mark the end of dual boot computers :P Until then, trying to find suitable alternatives (like gimp for photoshop, audacious for Winamp etc.) or installing Windows alongside Peppermint is the only option :D

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2015, 03:23:55 pm »
I actually prefer standard Wine to Playonlinux.  Playonlinux (in theory) is supposed to automatically download and install the best version of Wine for the game you're installing.  But, it's far from perfect.  Plus, if you use it to install 10 games, you'll have 10 Wine installs, plus the one (or two if you use 64 bit) installed by your OS when you installed Playonlinux.

I used to dual boot, but I had too many BSODs in Windows 7, so I finally dropped Windows.  I'm glad I did, given their new privacy agreement.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2015, 08:03:32 pm »
That's bad! :o Besides I think it will be quite heavy on the system. BSODs, warning messages, automatic restarts, crashes and a feeling of being unsafe (viruses, hackers, worms etc) made me leave windows completely. I was once using Facebook from a windows laptop and I don't know how and why, my profile and my friends were filled with a suspicious post that I didn't even post! it was something like "OMG! THIS GIRL THIS IN THE PUBLIC... ". and I had a tough time deleting every post, apologizing from every fb friend of mine (which includes teachers, parents, relatives etc). :( Perhaps it was a virus on the laptop

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2015, 08:46:42 pm »
With that, it could have just been that someone hacked your Facebook account.   ::)

The BSODs are a crock.  Mine started in my desktop right after I upgraded the motherboard, processor and RAM.  I suspect maybe Windows didn't like the mobo and RAM together, but it runs like a dream in Linux.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:52:44 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2015, 11:45:15 pm »
And sometimes, antivirus programs create problem too.  :-[ if they accidently delete some system file thinking it to be a virus, the computer is done  :P it wouildn't turn on again. I once had around 2 GB of songs in folders corupted by some "shortcut" virus. I tried to move them to my Symbian phone which got it's folders corrupted too  :'( As far as drivers are concerned, windows installation is slow and time-consuming. and then driver installation is a big pain as well. thats not a problem with linux especially Peppermint. the whole system gets installed in less than 15 minutes and a few minutes extra for updating  :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2015, 12:23:11 am »
When I used Windows, I always felt cheated.  I had to pay a license fee to use their software.  I then had to pay another license fee to someone else, hoping that their software makes Windows worked safely.  If you applied that business model to selling a car, or to anything other than peddling Windows.  You'd go out of business really fast.  Windows users are paying for something that's broken before it's even installed.  What's worse, it's not fixable either  >:(.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2015, 12:39:59 am »
:P I never paid for Windows. I used to download pirated versions from piratebay. Windows is a total cheating OS. Microsoft, the Antivirus companies and the computer repair guys make a lot of money out of it. Like, the computer repair shops charge some money for a fresh windows install. Until 2014, I was wasting money on my computer over windows. but after I first started with Lubuntu later that year, I felt better. Ever since then, my computer has not been to a repair shop :D Reading forums, tutorials etc has also taught me a lot of things about computers

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2015, 12:56:41 am »
No kidding, after I switched to Linux nearly 3 years ago, (Linux Mint Debian Edition was my first distro).  I've not just learnt so much more about computing in general.  I've learnt to respect my machines.  I want them in top condition all the time.  After I got past the initial learning curve, Linux has allowed me to do this very easily.  I think the mindset of the Linux user compared to the Windows user, is very different.  The Linux user is probably far more conscientious about how he/she uses their machine(s)  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2015, 04:20:18 am »
Exactly. Linux has changed me. I used to treat my computer like any other electric appliance but now a days, I take care of it. I want it to be running in its top condition. besides, It never gets boring anymore. there is so much to do, learn, customize and install. if it wasn't for that Lubuntu installation an year ago, I would have been playing some stupid windows game right now Instead of being here in this forum, learning new stuff everyday :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2015, 06:01:30 am »
Maybe there needs to be a game where you have to solve Peppermint/Linux problems by going to forums or trawling the web .. you can earn extra points by forum participation and helping others....

and at the end of the game, you actually get some kind of real world sysadmin certificate :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2015, 06:11:52 am »
Linux has changed me.

Yeah It's changed me too, before I discovered Linux I didn't have one gray hair and I had all my own teeth :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2015, 06:14:21 am »
No, that's just a Scottish life expectancy issue .. nothing to do with Linux :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2015, 06:16:44 am »
Sounds like a game I would love to play :D Linux has saved a lot of computers and laptops from turning into electronic waste.