Choose style:

Author Topic: Freedom of choice: 7 top Linux desktop environments compared  (Read 13155 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
Re: Freedom of choice: 7 top Linux desktop environments compared
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2015, 09:35:04 pm »
Yes, you're right, there is a SolydXK USB Creator, but I can't get it to install any ISO file I've downloaded.  I have no idea how to use it.  I say this because when I read the info about it, it sounds as if it is made only to install SolydXK.  I know this sounds ridiculous, but a highlight goes back and forth after execution, and I wait and wait, but it never seems to finish.  Maybe I'm just impatient, but I see no progress indicator to see how any installation is going.  I just see a highlight going back and forth, back and forth --for what seems like an eternity. :-\

Update:

I'm trying it again right now.  It's called an Init Device.  I'll be more patient, and wait to that highlight stops moving back and forth.  I see also, that one of its options is to install either SolydX or SolydK --which is pretty cool.  That said, I have to say that this device is not nearly as clear as Unetbootin or Peppermint's Image Writer.

Thank you, scifidude79.

perknh
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:59:45 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2015, 12:35:00 am »
SciFiDude, you can also get yourself a game called "Dying Light". it was released this year across various platforms including Linux. it's an open world zombie survival horror game. I saw the gameplay trailer. it looks promising.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 12:37:59 am by sk_sarma »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2015, 12:48:07 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of zombies.  Or horror in general, for that matter.  Though, I do have Shadow Warrior, which has you fighting demons.  (but, you can also hack their limbs and heads off with a katana)

Steam actually has a pretty wide selection of Linux games now.  It was just at first that the Linux selection was slim pickings.  GOG has a decent Linux library also.  Between those two stores, gaming on Linux has really exploded in the past few years.  Plus, Steam is getting ready to launch their own Linux gaming OS based on Debian, so the Linux gaming scene will continue to grow for the foreseeable future.  When I started on Linux in 2009, you were limited to the free games in the repositories.  While there are some gems in there, there are a lot of duds too.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2015, 01:24:53 am »
Shadow Warrior sounds like a hack-n-slash RPG. I'm a big fan of RPGs as well.

yes steam OS as already released a beta version and I read that they are bringing popular games to Linux. :) Linux is the future of gaming. Android has already gained fame as a capable gaming platform. Now a days, there are a lot of handheld android gaming consoles in the market. Like NVIDIA shield for example. :D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2015, 11:16:34 am »
Shadow Warrior sounds like a hack-n-slash RPG. I'm a big fan of RPGs as well.

It's not an RPG.  There's no character development or anything like that that you expect from RPG.  It's just a linear FPS where you go around killing things and occasionally view a cutscene.  (RPG and FPS are my two favorite game genres)  But, it's a pretty awesome game, in my opinion.  The combat in it is really fantastic.  Anyway, it's a really nice game that they didn't spend a whole lot of money making.  It's also a remake of a DOS game from 1997, which I also have on Steam for Linux. (the Redux version)

I've been following the development of Shadow Warrior 2 on Facebook and it looks like it's going to be sweet.

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2015, 11:53:57 am »
(RPG and FPS are my two favorite game genres)

That's cool. Good to meet another gaming fan here.  8) ;D I am a fan of First person games and RPGs as well, but I like them more when they are set in an open world, in a non-linear gameplay. I want the game world to have other things to do when I am tired of doing missions  ;)  :P

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2015, 11:58:46 am »
That's not Shadow Warrior.  It's very linear and much of the game play is just killing stuff.  Still, it has a good story, in my opinion.  Also, there are different rewards for killing things in different ways, such as using a variety of abilities as opposed to just shooting stuff.  The original game had no story to speak of, other than a brief one in the game manual.  It was made by the same company that made Duke Nukem 3D and, even though it wasn't a sequel, it was pretty much promoted as one because it uses the same game engine with some improvements.

I just remembered, there is a leveling up system and degree of customization in Shadow Warrior (2013) but I still wouldn't classify it as an RPG.  You get points that you can use to upgrade certain abilities, much like some other FPS games such as the Bioshock series.

I like open world games too, but I don't mind playing the occasional linear one, if it's good enough.  I like games with strong story and fun game play.  :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 12:00:43 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2015, 12:10:15 pm »
i totally agree with you on this one. I don't mind playing non-linear a game either if it has an attractive gameplay and good story line. When I first played Max Payne 2, I had a lot of trouble because it didn't have a map and there was nothing else I could do than play the missions. I was hoping Rockstar would make it open-world  like GTA 3 and Vice city. But the slow-time-action-sequence gameplay took my breath away. And the story was pretty good too and everything had an American (Hollywood) touch, of which I have always been a big fan.

speaking of Rockstar games, have they released GTA series, Max payne series and Manhunt series for Steam on Linux?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2015, 12:27:48 pm »
speaking of Rockstar games, have they released GTA series, Max payne series and Manhunt series for Steam on Linux?

Nope, just Windows and (sometimes) Mac.  The closest you get to anything by them being on Linux is a few of the GTA games and Max Payne for Android in the Play Store and Amazon Appstore.  I have GTA3 and Vice City on my tablet.  Though, according to Google Play, Vice City is incompatible with my tablet, even though Rockstar says it is compatible.  Fortunately, Amazon is slightly less stupid, so I bought it from them.  ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2015, 12:55:40 pm »
Playstore has issues sometimes :D When I had a tablet (I exchanged it for a Playstation 2 lol), I used to download the apk installer and game data folder from the Internet and put them in my device. The game would run perfectly. however, it wasn't successful in a lot of cases when the downloaded version had a different VGA than my tablet. some games wouldn't even launch and some would have distorted pictures, inverted colors etc.

Android has some games with very good graphics quality. There was this game I played called Dead Trigger 2, it had great graphics. The makers claim that it runs even better on Nvidia Tegra 4 devices and displays PS4 quality graphics (shadows, water reflection etc)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2015, 01:26:54 pm »
I still have a Playstation 2.   ;D  It's one of the many devices for which I have GTA games.  In fact, I have almost all of the ones they released for the PS2, I just need to get Vice City Stories to have them all.

It may be a little sad, but I own 3 copies of Vice City, (PS2, PC and Android) 2 copies of GTA3, (PS2 and Android) and 2 copies of San Andreas (PS2 and PC.)  Though, the PS2 versions were bought later, (except GTA3) as a result of my wanting to switch from Windows to Linux.  Besides, Vice City on the computer has a weird "pause" whenever it has to access the DVD.  ::)  The Android versions I just purchased because I could and because I was going on a trip and didn't want to be bored.  ;)  Being stuck in a hotel ain't so bad when you've got some virtual murder and mayhem to do.  >:D

Yeah, sometimes downloading .apk files works, sometimes not.  It all depends on the app.  I had a Kindle Fire briefly, but I didn't like it and traded it back in to Best Buy and paid the difference for my Samsung tablet (never regretted that decision.)  When I had the Fire, I rooted it and installed Firefox on it by downloading the .apk file.  Though, before I returned it, I (of course) unrooted it and returned it to factory defaults.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:29:04 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2015, 01:51:01 pm »
:D Playstation 2 is a great console, really. I heard it can also be made into a probable computer using a Linux CD (by Sony), keyboard and mouse. It suffered a lens problem and it's still there inside my closet.

I have finished playing San Andreas till the last mission and I loved it. The story, the characters, the humour, I loved em all. some missions were too hard, so I had to use cheat codes for help :P

My tablet came pre rooted as it was from a cheap local brand. However the stock ROM had bugs like wrong battery info, no GPU support for games, awful UI). So I installed a custom ROM. and I tried on installing custom ROMs until one day, it took its last breath and stopped turning on. Then I gave it to a repair guy who made me a good offer for it. he gave me a pre owned repaired PS2 console in exchange for my bricked android tablet. seemed like a good offer, so I took it. the PS2 worked good until it's lens got damaged. it wasn't modded either. :(

Kindle uses a customized version of android right? and perhaps uses their own app store (amazon). I have always dreamt of buying a device with stock android (as offered by Google). but nexus devices are don't fit my budget and local brands don't fit my satisfaction. Motorola uses stock android. I'm thinking of getting a Motorola after I am done with my Xperia :D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2015, 02:12:38 pm »
OK, we really should have split this gaming discussion off to another thread.  Unfortunately, I got caught up in the discussion and didn't think to do so before now.  But, I've created a new thread in the gaming forum:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2373.0.html

If someone with super mod powers would like to merge the gaming discussion posts into that thread, that would be grand.  If not, I apologize for anyone coming in here expecting to see posts about Linux desktop environments and instead found us nerding out about gaming.   :-[

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2015, 03:07:40 pm »
You're right. This thread was about DEs and we are talking about linux gaming :D It's good to have a discussion between gamers once in a while. :)

Offline penda2015

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2015, 07:13:55 am »
i ordered a bundle of linux distros off amazon along with a dongle since the one i am using only accepts windows. you can take a look here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Collection-Operating-System-Kubuntu/dp/B00XZUMIAM/ref=sr_1_2?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1444389148&sr=1-2&keywords=Linux+Collection+-+8+Linux+Operating+System%3A+Ubuntu%2C+Fedora%2C+PEARL%2C+Mint%2C+Kubuntu%2C+Korora%2C+Zorin%2C+Bodhi.

Never used them before has anybody tried any of these and found them better or worse than Peppermint 6?