Choose style:

Author Topic: Freedom of choice: 7 top Linux desktop environments compared  (Read 12931 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Freedom of choice: 7 top Linux desktop environments compared
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 08:11:35 pm »
I never got into Crunchbang.  I tried it once, but it wasn't really my thing.  Tried Archbang too, which was a similar distro but Arch based.  Didn't really like that one either.  But then, I'm not overly fond of Openbox, so that may be part of it.  ;)

If SolydK doesn't stop asking me for my Wifi password every time I log in, this is going to be one short test.   >:(  I'm going to have a look at the KWallet settings and, if I can't figure it out, I will be jettisoning it with extreme prejudice.  Most KDE distributions and Linux distributions in general auto configure the Wifi to not do that.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 08:42:17 pm »
I'm like that with anything with KDE,  I've tried several distros with it.  I find it bewildering and my patience just evaporates very quickly.  The closest I came to keeping a KDE desktop was with Porteus 2 because they really trimmed it down.  Even then I ended up using their Mate desktop.  That was a sweet little distro for something based on Slackware, (not one of my favourites).  It's without a doubt the fastest distro I've ever used - silly quick  :o!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 08:50:05 pm »
The good news is, I managed to configure KWallet so that SolydK won't ask for my Wifi password at login anymore.  Now I just have to see about installing my Nvidia driver.  In past Debian based distros I've used, that's been fairly painless, we'll see if that's the case here.

I've always liked KDE, but it does have its issues.  But, I've learned over the years to mostly be able to get it to do what I want it to, when they don't change things that is.  (then I have to figure out where the stuff I want to configure has been moved to ::) )  Though, I'm not sure about the new Plasma 5 desktop they've switched to.  I need to use it more to make a determination, but it needs to get more stable before I even think of deploying it full time.  One thing that I know for sure is that its default theme is UGLY.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:51:37 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 09:06:26 pm »
I'm been playing with SolydX --not SolydK.  I did download SolydK and try to install it, but my screen went into a black blinking mode.  After that I had to do a hard shutdown.  I tried AndyInMokum's fck command, but I had no luck with it.  So, to be on the safe side of things, I'm going to reinstall SolydX.

I can't report on SolydK --since I seem to be doing something wrong installing it.  Or, as rjm65 has taught, some computers are more finicky than others with some particular distributions --an invaluable lesson. ;)

Yes, scifidude79, the default theme isn't so attractive, but overall I find its Xfce version quite attractive after I change its wallpapers.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 09:25:59 pm »
Yes, scifidude79, the default theme isn't so attractive, but overall I find its Xfce version quite attractive after I change its wallpapers.

I meant the default Plasma 5 theme, not the SolydK theme.  The SolydK theme is OK, it's the classic KDE 4 Air theme with a custom icon theme.  One thing I found interesting is that, after switching from the Application Launcher style menu to the Classic Menu, the menu icons were different.  They must have set up their icon theme to do that because that's not how it usually works.

The Plasma 5 default theme that I don't like is that dark gray on white theme with the "flat" monochromatic icons:

I hate that look, but it seems to be popular these days.  And, since it's new, it has very few themes available for it yet.  Meanwhile, KDE 4 has loads of themes available.

Plus, I want to know when the 3 horizontal lines became the universal icon for "settings."   ::)  It seems like that used to only be on Android, now it's everywhere.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:27:35 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2015, 02:30:18 am »
I want to know when the 3 horizontal lines became the universal icon for "settings."   ::)  It seems like that used to only be on Android, now it's everywhere.

Hi scifidude79,

I think you just answered your own question!  :D

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2015, 02:54:40 am »
Hi scifidude79,

I think you just answered your own question!  :D

Regards,

-- Slim

Not really.  I asked when it became the universal icon for settings, not where it came from.  ;)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2015, 03:29:11 am »
Well, I would say almost from the time it appeared in Android. Android has pretty much exploded with unexpected speed. Everyone else trying to keep up and be compatible with Android started using things (like the "burger" symbol, i.e. the 3 horizontal lines) that the Android GUI uses. That's what I intended. I doubt that putting a more exact time on this is possible.

Software projects (e.g. Firefox, Gnome, etc.) that began using that symbol started appearing quickly with a sort of domino / avalanche effect and speed. So for us it just seems to have appeared suddenly and out of nowhere and is now the "standard". It's sort of like going to bed without the "burger" symbol and waking up the next day to find it used all around you.  :)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 03:45:40 am »
Yeah, it's that stupid phenomenon where mobile crap is invading regular computers.  Websites are even using it now.  I don't know why, it's not like it's that exciting.  It literally took no creative skill to think up.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 08:29:58 am »
Yeah, it's that stupid phenomenon where mobile crap is invading regular computers.  Websites are even using it now.  I don't know why, it's not like it's that exciting.  It literally took no creative skill to think up.

It appears the Unity model model has been universalized, and, from what I can tell, most people don't like it.  As for SolydXK's own theme, I think these distributions are striving for a theme that will satisfy the needs of both personal and small business use.  I'd say they hit a pretty good balance between the two.  I could use a little more color personally, but, then again, I don't use my computer much for business either. For me, the icons in the Xfce panel make SolydX pleasant to look at.  They are very easy on the eyes.

I'm used to Xubuntu, so I'm still trying to figure out some of the tricks I will need in order to use SolydX more proficiently.  I didn't feel like reinstalling SolydX last night, I just wanted to check for damage after I messed up things trying to play with SolydK --but I was unable to do so.  I'm sure there was a work around, but I didn't know what it was.

I seem to always need a second distribution to gnaw my teeth on, and I think I've found one here with SolydX.

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;). -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2015, 08:36:55 am »
What symbol should be used ?

In KDE they could get rid of the "burger" and have a picture of Colonel Sanders with KFC

KDE's 'F'ing Controls
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2015, 10:58:20 am »
LXDE is my "all-time" favourite. Followed by Pantheon (Elementary OS) and whatever DE is used by Puppy Linux  :D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:00:10 am by sk_sarma »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2015, 11:26:47 am »
Puppy uses JWM and Openbox, which is very lightweight, even compared to LXDE and Openbox.   :)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2015, 12:08:55 pm »
 :) Yeah JVM, I remember now. It says "Restart JVM" in an option in the shutdown menu.  I have puppy installed in a pen drive as a backup OS. My pen drive is now like a mini Hard disk  :P

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2015, 12:37:49 pm »
Well, so far I can't get Wine to install programs on SolydK.  I followed the instructions on the Debian Wiki to get Wine Configuration to run, which is a slightly different command than what Ubuntu-based distros (and others) use.  However, when I used the command given on the Wiki to run a program, it keeps telling me "Bad EXE format."  Both of the programs I've tried so far are installation programs for programs I have installed on Peppermint using Wine.  So, I don't think SolydK is going to work out for me.

Interesting note:  this is the second OS I've tried in the past few weeks where Wine has been a stumbling block.  The first was Apricity, which is based on Arch.  Once I had Wine all set up and configured (I had to run it in 32-bit on there) and got some programs installed, I ran into issues.  Specifically, none of my games worked.  They showed up with blank screens where there should have been game graphics.  These are games I have installed in Peppermint using Wine that run great.  Now, I have this issue with SolydK and Wine.  So, to recap, two major distributions (Arch and Debian) apparently have issues with Wine that Ubuntu doesn't.  (possibly just 64-bit issues, but I don't know because I only run 64-bit)  I know Wine is a tricky beast, but that's a bit ridiculous.  I use Wine to run programs that I like from my Windows days and any Linux OS I try has to pass the Wine test for me to approve it.  So, I'm sorry to say it's a "nay" for me and SolydK.   :(  I could try SolydX, but I doubt the results would be any different.