Choose style:

Author Topic: Freedom of choice: 7 top Linux desktop environments compared  (Read 12946 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Freedom of choice: 7 top Linux desktop environments compared
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 01:03:54 pm »
They just call it a release, nothing more.  I think there was a term they used for it when they switched from the 12 month cycle, but I don't remember what it was.  Basically, the non LTS releases are for people who want to have the latest versions of software that Ubuntu has available (but, in many cases, still not the latest version) and not be stuck with what's in the LTS repositories.  It's also for people who don't mind updating their system every 6 months.  Because, let's face it, the 9 month thing is a giant crock.  There's no release at the end of support time, so you're realistically following the 6 month cycle.  They just allow 3 extra months so that not everybody has to upgrade at once.

However, while it's not necessarily called a "testing" version, (as Debian and others do) I still think that's what it basically is.  I think they use it to see what all works and what doesn't work so that they can put the "correct" versions of things like Unity and their other desktops into the LTS releases.

It does say on the Ubuntu website that the LTS version is recommended for most users.  I personally don't like having to backup all of my games and other important files every 6 months to change versions.  I prefer to go at least a year or two between having to install an OS.  Once Peppermint 7 drops, following the 16.04 LTS version, I'll probably keep that installed until Peppermint 9 drops, at least on my desktop.  That's the one with my Steam library and CGI files.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:06:11 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 02:24:48 pm »

...It does say on the Ubuntu website that the LTS version is recommended for most users.  I personally don't like having to backup all of my games and other important files every 6 months to change versions.  I prefer to go at least a year or two between having to install an OS.  Once Peppermint 7 drops, following the 16.04 LTS version, I'll probably keep that installed until Peppermint 9 drops, at least on my desktop.  That's the one with my Steam library and CGI files.
I'm with you, It would drive me nuts having to reinstall and set up everything every six to nine months.  The last Peppermint release to follow that cycle was Peppermint Four.  It landed us with three months with no support.  It's in that time period, the Heartbleed vulnerability showed up, leaving our users in the lurch  :'(.    It also takes about that long to get everything the way I want it  ;D.   Saying that, I'm looking for an old Dell machine; just to have a pure testing machine.  For my main machines, it's LTS all the way. 
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 03:29:45 pm »
Yeah, Four was the version where I actually stopped using Peppermint for around a year.   :o  It was partly due to those three months without support, it was also partly because I became temporarily insane and decided to switch everything back over to Windows.   ???  Fortunately, earlier this year, I again became sane and went the other way, switching everything out of Windows.  But, I still won't follow the nine month release cycles.  It has to be LTS or rolling for me to even consider installing it now.   8)

The only reason I even had Kubuntu 15.04 on my system for a short spell was to see if the problems I experienced with Plasma 5 were the fault of KaOS or just Plasma 5 itself.  It turned out to be the latter.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 03:40:05 pm »
Yeah, Four was the version where I actually stopped using Peppermint for around a year.   :o  It was partly due to those three months without support, it was also partly because I became temporarily insane and decided to switch everything back over to Windows.   ???  Fortunately, earlier this year, I again became sane and went the other way, switching everything out of Windows.  But, I still won't follow the nine month release cycles.  It has to be LTS or rolling for me to even consider installing it now.   8)

The only reason I even had Kubuntu 15.04 on my system for a short spell was to see if the problems I experienced with Plasma 5 were the fault of KaOS or just Plasma 5 itself.  It turned out to be the latter.
Yeah the nine month thing is really something and nothing.  Six months for me is really too short.  A yearly release I can understand, with an LTS release every two years.  That's Ubuntu for you.  With some things, they really do operate using  an alternative form of logic  :-\!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 03:55:55 pm »
Actually, the five years and nine months cycles do follow some logic.  Most people like the LTS releases, especially now that they have five year support.  That's five years you can go without upgrading operating systems to a new version, or at least two years to go to the next LTS release.  People who want a long term stable system are going to choose that anyway.  The people who follow and upgrade to the more frequent releases are obviously die hard fans who don't mind upgrading their systems twice a year.  (probably mainly people who just use their computers for the Internet and don't do any work or much gaming on them)  Those people were probably doing it any six months anyway.  With those releases going on for twelve months, there were probably less people hanging onto them.  Plus, the repository maintainers had much more to do by having more versions with active support for longer.  So, from that point of view, cutting three months off of the support cycle makes sense.

The only people it really inconvenienced were people who only wanted to do one upgrade (at most) a year, or Linux distributions like Peppermint that were only based on the Summer releases.  Like you said, there were three months without support.  But, those distributions and I'm sure the users who only wanted to upgrade once a year have pretty much adapted to an upgarde/release cycle that only follows the LTS releases, with new versions simply being upgrades to the existing version, such as Peppermint 6 and Mint 17.2 being based off of Ubuntu 14.04.2.  So, I think pretty much everybody has adapted to the new release cycles.  It seemed weird at first, but I think it's OK now.  (at least, to me it is)  At least Ubuntu is mixing in updates that you used to almost never see in the life of a release, such as new kernels and new device drivers being added to the 14.04 release a while back.  I did a dist-upgrade last week and got upgraded to the latest Nvidia legacy driver, 340.76.  :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 08:52:51 pm »
Xubuntu all the way.  It's my favorite of the "official" -untus.  I was actually running Xubuntu 14.04 earlier this year, before coming back to Peppermint.  It's a joy to run.  I'd work it back into the rotation somewhere, if I didn't have Peppermint on all of my systems and Mint 17.2 KDE (dual booted with Peppermint, of course) on my desktop.  :)

rjm65 reminded me several months ago, to try SolydX again.  At the time I was reluctant to do so because I remember it had run especially hot on my wife's computer a couple a years back.  Well, I have to say either it, I, or both of us, have come a long way in the last two years.  SolydXK has created one beautiful Xfce distribution (and I've even heard its KDE version is even more gorgeous).  From what I can tell it's a rolling release, and, with its nice looking icon set, it looks spectacular when you add your own wallpapers.  SolydX also has a few specialized categories of extra programs you can add after its initial installation.  What particularly caught my eye today was that you can add an extra game category that includes Steam, Minetest, OA. D, The Battle of Wesnoth, Sauerbraten, Neverball, and Super Tux Cart.  There are also other programs especially well-suited for smaller businesses.

Knock on wood, but I hope I will now remain Ubuntu free! ;)

P.S.

Like Peppermint's mayor himself, SolydXK hails from the Netherlands too! :)

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 09:12:08 pm »
rjm65 reminded me several months ago, to try SolydX again.  At the time I was reluctant to do so because I remember it had run especially hot on my wife's computer a couple a years back.  Well, I have to say either it, I, or both of us, have come a long way in the last two years.  SolydXK has created one beautiful Xfce distribution (and I've even heard its KDE version is even more gorgeous).  From what I can tell it's a rolling release, and, with its nice looking icon set, it looks spectacular when you add your own wallpapers.  SolydX also has a few specialized categories of extra programs you can add after its initial installation.  What particularly caught my eye today was that you can add an extra game category that includes Steam, Minetest, OA. D, The Battle of Wesnoth, Sauerbraten, Neverball, and Super Tux Cart.  There are also other programs especially well-suited for smaller businesses.

Knock on wood, but I hope I will now remain Ubuntu free! ;)

P.S.

Like Peppermint's mayor himself, SolydXK hails from the Netherlands too! :)

Hm, I may have to take a look at SolydXK.  I've never tried it before.  According to DistroWatch, it's based on Debian Stable, which is never a bad thing.  It's not rolling, though.  In order to be rolling, it would have to be based on Debian Testing.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 09:58:02 pm »
Hi scifidude79,

I'd be delighted if somebody would look at it.  Please take a look at the third paragraph here:

http://solydxk.com/downloads/solydx/

How would describe that, if not the word rolling?  I don't want to spread false information; there's already enough of that in the world.

Also, since we're both from the States, SolydXK warns about the user about installing particular codecs during installation --for legal reason.  I find that quite odd.  But since we all know that the U.S. is such a funny place now, I wonder if it's warning us, or everybody, about a set of particular codecs. :-\

scifidude79, if I remember correctly you're also a KDE man:  If I think this Xfce version is gorgeous; I can only imagine what you'd see within it's KDE version.

But what do you make of that third paragraph?

I may need to edit my previous post.

Thanks,

perknh
-- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 10:04:47 pm »
It looks like they're saying it's rolling, but DW says it's based on Debian Stable, which is not rolling.  Though, maybe they switched to Debian Testing and didn't tell DW.  It's hard to say right now.  I'm currently downloading SolydK, so I'll take a look at it in VirtualBox in a bit and see.

Edit:  The front page of their site also says it's based on Debian Stable.  Though, if memory serves, I believe Debian supports upgrading to the next version, so that may be what they mean.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:07:58 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 12:35:26 pm »
It looks like they're saying it's rolling, but DW says it's based on Debian Stable, which is not rolling.  Though, maybe they switched to Debian Testing and didn't tell DW.  It's hard to say right now.  I'm currently downloading SolydK, so I'll take a look at it in VirtualBox in a bit and see.

Edit:  The front page of their site also says it's based on Debian Stable.  Though, if memory serves, I believe Debian supports upgrading to the next version, so that may be what they mean.

HI scifidude79,

How did it go with your SolydXK KDE download?

I downloaded SolydK this moring, but I haven't installed it live to a flash drive yet. You do know that you KDE guys are a very special breed of cat.  Having the ability to work around KDE can be equated to flying flying a helicopter --very few people have what it takes (including airplane pilots). 

But, I'm curious about your impressions and your experience --especially with gaming.  And what did you think of those w32/w34 codec warnings?

Thank you,

perknh

-- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 12:47:07 pm »
All I've done so far is run it in VirtualBox in Live mode for about 5 minutes.  I haven't really given it a full test yet.  I'll probably boot up my GParted disc either today or tomorrow, clear some space on my HD and install SolydK and have a good look at it.  Running it in VirtualBox won't really tell me anything as VB is utter crap when it comes to gaming.  All you can do is "simulate" a 3D enabled graphics card with 128 MB VRAM.  Sorry, but no.  My Nvidia card is 5 years old, but it has 1 GB VRAM and it works great for gaming.  So, I'll give it a proper go later.  Right now, I'm tinkering with something I'm building in Blender.  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 02:09:56 pm »
I hope you find something there of interest.  I very much appreciate you taking a look at it.  I should fess up right now:  I'm not a gamer, and I know very little about KDE --other than it appears very complex.  All that being said, it appears to me that SolydXK has something very nice to offer the world.

I'm now going to install SolydK to a flash drive, and run it live.  I want to see how it compares with SolydX.  Curiosity has gotten the best of me here.
-- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 02:45:52 pm »
Also, since we're both from the States, SolydXK warns about the user about installing particular codecs during installation --for legal reason.  I find that quite odd.  But since we all know that the U.S. is such a funny place now, I wonder if it's warning us, or everybody, about a set of particular codecs. :-\

It's not a warning, it's giving you the option to install said codecs during the installation of the OS.  Or, you can install them after the fact.  Basically, the codecs are the proprietary Windows codecs that come with Windows by default.  US Law protects them as Microsoft's intellectual property and you're legally not allowed to include them with an open source operating system, or really any other operating system.  However, it is legal to distribute them free of charge.  So, Linux distributions get around this by simply labeling them as "non free" and sticking them in the distribution's repositories, as they do with the MS core fonts and other "non free" things.  Basically, all the installer is doing is explaining why they aren't included by default and giving you the option to download and install them during installation.  Ubiquity (the Ubuntu installer) has the same feature.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 03:52:25 pm »
I see.  Those are the same things as those "extras" I can always install during a Peppermint installation --just worded differently.  Thanks for the clarification. ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:58:42 pm by perknh »
-- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 08:00:44 pm »
Some time ago I had a play around with SolydX.  It's a really easy way of having a cracking good Debian distro with polish.  However, I ended up using another Debian beauty, Crunchbang as my main distro.  This was because I wanted to learn about Openbox.  I really miss Crunchbang :'(.  I could have easily gone with SolydX though.  Debian distros are the Labrador dogs of the Linux world - dependable, well mannered and basically bomb proof  ;).