Choose style:

Author Topic: Where Ubuntu's DE Was and What Changes May Be Coming  (Read 8661 times)

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64-bit
Re: Where Ubuntu's DE Was and What Changes May Be Coming
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 04:50:39 pm »
I am waiting for the day when this secret is unveiled. We will see an exodus of people from Windows to Peppermint ;)
Or from other linux-distro's, like me i am a linux-user since 2007 and just discovered this great os called peppermint ;)

Offline sskarma

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6 32-bit
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 08:49:08 pm »
Or from other linux-distro's, like me i am a linux-user since 2007 and just discovered this great os called peppermint ;)

I'm 100% sure that is going to happen. :) I just hope that all those Linux reviewers review Peppermint 7 correctly. It's surprising that there are almost no reviews for PM6 (most of them are for PM5). Half of all those reviewers mislead a lot of people calling Peppermint a "chromium clone" and "cloud based OS"

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 12:59:20 am »
I learned why this was happening to my computer that last night after experimenting with Ubuntu's classic menu --thanks to VinDSL's tip.

It's very similar to the Peppermint Menu, yes?   ;D

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 06:02:10 am »
Yes,it is.  After years of playing around with Unity, I actually began to see what programs were within that distribution.  Using Ubuntu's classic menu within Unity was an eyeopening experience for me.  It also showed me why my wife and I have no business using Unity.  We don't need to use such a large distribution when all we do is visit a few online sites on an ongoing basis.

Too bad there wasn't a Unity Lite. :(
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:16:26 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 06:02:12 am »
Hey Drum .. every time I see your avatar I can't help putting it together with a beer, and sliding back to my youth down the pub

+   

Actually it was Boars Head tobacco and Newcastle Brown Ale, but that doesn't carry the pun so well
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:04:52 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64-bit
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 06:22:58 am »
Hey Drum .. every time I see your avatar I can't help putting it together with a beer, and sliding back to my youth down the pub

+   

Actually it was Boars Head tobacco and Newcastle Brown Ale, but that doesn't carry the pun so well
+1

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 07:14:50 am »
It showed me why my wife and I have no business using Unity[...]  Too bad there wasn't a Unity Lite.

There was a 'Unity Lite', if you will.  Unity was originally designed to be used on netbooks.

Wikipedia says it best: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Unity_(user_interface)&oldid=677982860

Unity is a graphical shell for the GNOME desktop environment developed by Canonical Ltd. for its Ubuntu operating system. Unity debuted in the netbook edition of Ubuntu 10.10. It was initially designed to make more efficient use of space given the limited screen size of netbooks, including, for example, a vertical application switcher called the launcher, and a space-saving horizontal multipurpose top menu bar.[6][7]

Unlike GNOME, KDE Software Compilation, Xfce, or LXDE, Unity is not a collection of applications but is designed to use existing programs.[8]

Unity is part of the Ayatana project, an initiative to improve the user experience within Ubuntu.[9] In addition to Unity, there are Application Indicators and other projects such as MeMenu, the notification system and the application NotifyOSD gathered.

Unity is just a UI, not a DE.  You could actually install it on Peppermint   :D

That's all Canonical did -  they took Gnome 3 and skinned it with the Unity netbook UI.  As a matter of fact, most of the changes that I made to the Unity UI (pictured above) were done in Gnome Shell, not Unity, so called - it's my trade secret. LoL

Speaking of wives - I bought my wife a new-ish computer, last week - HP 6005 Pro SFF (small form factor business machine). It came with winders 7 Pro pre-installed, so I installed Office 2013 Enterprise (I get it for free at work).

Same situation...  winders 7 Pro is okay (think Vista Lite), but OMG !  Microsoft Office 2013 has become a horrible witch's brew.

That's what happens when you try to be all_things_to_all_people.  MS needs to scuttle their Office suite and start all over again.   :P

I read that Office 2016 is even worse...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:30:58 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 12:49:34 pm »
Unity is just a UI, not a DE.  You could actually install it on Peppermint   :D --VinDSL

I actually tried doing that right after first discovering Peppermint, but the result wasn't so pretty. :(

I am a little confused on the difference between a user interface and a desktop environment.  From Wikipedia I've learned that a desktop environment uses the concept of desktop metaphor* --meaning it becomes something like to a virtual writing desk for its user.  But, I'm a little hazy when it comes to what a user interface actually is --other than its a way for a human to interact with a machine.** (again, an idea from Wikipedia)   Maybe that is the difference --a UI being much more basic than a DE? :-\

I can see Gnome throughout Unity, though.  That much I can see.

Has Ubuntu's Unity become a witch's brew of sorts?  There's an awful lot under that Unity UI --too much, apparently, for my computer's processor.

VinDSL, it's good you were able to get your wife a small Window 7 computer.  Although you've got Microsoft Office 2013 on it now, there may come a day when your wife's computer goes from Windows to Linux --which would be a natural evolution, of course!  LibreOffice will then be able to offer her an office suite that brings her back to the basics again. ;)

* Source on the idea of the desktop metaphor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_metaphor

** Source of my understanding of a Graphical User Interface:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 12:51:48 pm »
UI is any GUI you interact with

a DE is a bunch of applications/tools designed to work together to present a unified UI
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:56 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec.  That's helps! :)