Choose style:

Author Topic: installing linux peppermint from a windows using a dongle  (Read 1210 times)

Offline penda2015

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
installing linux peppermint from a windows using a dongle
« on: October 07, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »
Tried installing linux p6 from a DVD but the internet (wifi) keeps disconnecting and i really need to install with internet. Do i need drivers? Using a dongle 802.11n works fine in windows 7 but won't in linux

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: installing linux peppermint from a windows using a dongle
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:07:28 am »
Hi penda2015,

You need to be more specific about your problem and hardware. Do you mean that the Peppermint Six installation fails? Or do you mean that you can install it, but when logging in to the installation the wifi connection keeps disconnecting?

You also need to start Peppermint Six from the DVD, open a terminal and post the output (back here) that you get after running this command:

Code: [Select]
inxi -F

and this one too:

Code: [Select]
sudo lshw -C network

With the answers to these questions and the info about your hardware, I am certain that someone here can help you.

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:10:20 am by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: installing linux peppermint from a windows using a dongle
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:49:44 am »
If it connected in the first place and then disconnected, you probably have drivers.  If you didn't have drivers, it would not even find any Wifi networks.  So, something else may be going on.  I'm sure running those commands that Slim.Fatz wants you to run will tell us something.

Realistically, you don't need to install with Internet.  It's highly recommended, but not really necessary.  The system pulls some language packs and other things from the Internet, but those will be brought in by a system update after installation if you install without Internet.  Though, you will want to diagnose your connection issues, because the system updates come from the Internet.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:52:28 am by scifidude79 »