Choose style:

Author Topic: Chrome downgrade problem - Dell Latitude C400  (Read 3784 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: Chrome downgrade problem - Dell Latitude C400
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 02:17:13 pm »
Hi NickF, I think the problem lies with the release version you're trying to install.  It's version 31 and the current version is 46.  Release version 31 is most certainly out of date and unsupported.  The instructions you're using are really old and the link to download Chromium Browser 31.* probably doesn't work anymore.  You need to download and install release version 45 or 44 and then hold them back from updating.  The instructions you were following will work once an active archive download site is found.  I don't use the Chromium Browser because it doesn't support Netflix.  I don't know where to find these archive versions.  Hopefully PCNetSpec with have a site at his fingertips to give you - good luck  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline NickF

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 05:25:55 pm »
Andy
Just checked - the Software Manager actually confirms I have Chromium Browser 31 installed, for better or worse.
It is not obvious to me why it won't start.
PCNetSpec original comment was a 'non-Aura' version, I've no idea what that means or how late a version is possible. He has gone very quiet, I wonder if he is away.
I haven't yet tried your suggestions about Chrome, and confess to knowing nothing about SSBs.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 06:34:36 pm »
Andy
Just checked - the Software Manager actually confirms I have Chromium Browser 31 installed, for better or worse.
It is not obvious to me why it won't start.
PCNetSpec original comment was a 'non-Aura' version, I've no idea what that means or how late a version is possible. He has gone very quiet, I wonder if he is away.
I haven't yet tried your suggestions about Chrome, and confess to knowing nothing about SSBs.
This is really strange.  It makes me think that there is more going on than was first suspected.   The non-Aura version was before the browser had the Aura graphic accelerator added.  It causes a lot of problems with many older graphics cards.  It's right royal pain.   Maybe try installing Google Chrome instead.  I swapped over to it when they started to support Netflix.  I've found it to be much more reliable than the Chromium Browser.  It can't hurt to try.  I gave you the instructions in a previous post.  PCNetSpec is around, he's just really busy on another project at the moment.

How's Malvern doing?  I used to live on the Old Wyche Road, near the Railway Inn ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline NickF

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 06:12:34 am »
Hi NickF, if Chromium was giving you problems and you still wish to use SSBs.  Try using Google Chrome instead.  Open this website: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html.  Download the appropriate .deb file for your system: 32 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu) or 64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu).  Navigate to where the .deb was downloaded to.  Double click on the file and follow the instructions.  When that has finished installing, you will now be able to create SSBs for Chrome using Ice.  ;).

Joy of joys - Chrome can't run because the hardware is no longer supported!
Another failure.

I'm wondering about reverting to PM5 and the PCNetSpec downgrade on Chromium, in some desperation.
Firefox works after a fashion, but repeatedly crashes in PM6.

Offline NickF

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 11:51:36 am »
Well, the saga improves! :)

I indeed went back to PM5 - and followed the Chromium downgrade instructions again. They failed.
Then I remembered some extra instructions given before by PCNetSpec:
http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1041.msg8882.html#msg8882

I followed these - and bingo, a downgraded Chromium working in PM5.
That made me think the extra steps might also solve it in PM6 - so went round the loop yet again, and likewise, success.

Bearing in mid the comments about using downgraded browsers, I will also install some of the others.
Unfortunately Firefox seems less-stable in PM6 that it had been in PM5 (at least on this old laptop)
Maybe one of the other options will be better.

Many thanks indeed to all who have helped.
... now back to the other problems, like xrandr modelines ...