Choose style:

Author Topic: os-prober not working?  (Read 3256 times)

Offline NickF

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
os-prober not working?
« on: August 10, 2015, 03:06:08 pm »
I have just installed PM6 on another laptop, and it appears that, before I do anything, os-prober does not work.
I may be miss-understanding!  ???

The command: sudo /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober asks for a password, but then does nothing at all.

The topic arose because I had problems on 2 other laptops with Grub Customizer. It seemed (with advice from their support) that the problems arose because os-prober was not working. Initially one assumed that Grub Customizer had broken something.
Increasingly, it is looking like a possible problem in PM6 - I have added nothing to the PM6 installation on the latest laptop.

Some ideas or guidance much appreciated.

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
Re: os-prober not working?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:50:42 pm »
The update-grub command usually kicks off several scripts in that directory: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup#Script_Descriptions

Have you run that command yet or do you prefer to run them individually?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:08:26 pm »
Yeah, that's usually where os-prober kicks in, when you run update-grub.  That's how grub finds other operating systems on your system and adds menu entry for them.  I'm not even sure if it has any other uses.

Offline NickF

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:21:43 pm »
The update-grub command usually kicks off several scripts in that directory: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup#Script_Descriptions

Have you run that command yet or do you prefer to run them individually?

It is not so much a matter of preference - I was simply trying to check 'what works'
I have only tried 30_os-prober, as originally the Grub Customizer folk identified that was not working - but suggested the problem might lay with PM. At present that appears to be the case  - but I can easily be wrong!

On a brand new (updated) installation of PM6, I assume I should not need to update Grub ?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:25:18 pm »
The only times you should need to update grub are when updates for it are installed in a system upgrade, in which case it automatically updates, and if you add any other operating systems to your computer and prefer to use the bootloaded that Peppermint installed.  Otherwise, there's no need to run update-grub.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 05:38:12 pm »
Hi NickF,

I have quit using Grub Customizer some time back. It changes the scripts used by GRUB in various ways and creates numerous ones of its own. For me, usually or eventually, its use ended up forcing me to remove it (Grub Customizer) and fixing its damages by reinstalling GRUB.

The scripts in /etc/grub.d are not intended to be run indivually! If they were, they would probably be in the system's path somewhere, like in /usr/bin. Forget that idea of trying to run just one of them. They are named with numbers at the start of the name to indicate the order that they will be run by, for example, update-grub.

After studying them, my understanding of the scripts in /etc/grub.d is that most (if not all) of them are made in such a way that a user is not to run just one of them in isolation. If you can explain to me otherwise, then please do. You might even damage your GRUB installation by randomly fooling around with these scripts.

Most (and perhaps all) of those scripts are impossible to run alone although they are executable. They are all part of the GRUB system and are intended to be executed as part of, for example, running update-grub. Therefore, because nothing seems to happen when attempting to run the single script 30_os-prober, you cannot conclude that it is not working! Did someone from the Grub Customizer team tell you to do this ?? If so, then that is reason enough to stop using Grub Customizer.

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:11:11 pm by Slim.Fatz »
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 02:00:24 pm »
There is nothing wrong with 30_os-prober in Peppermint or it would  an issue with ALL Ubuntu distros .. we change nothing from grub-common except a couple of colours in 05_debian_theme.

30_os-prober tested fine on my systems

so what  exaclty is the problem here ? .. is an OS not be detected and added to the GRUB menu ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 04:05:46 pm »
Hi PCNetSpec,

It seems that he (NickF) has no other problem than the fact that he thought it would be possible to directly run the script 30_os-prober and determine whether or not it is broken. This arose out of previous experiences with other computers where, after using Grub-customizer and having trouble he was told that the script was not working. I guess he concluded that when you try to launch the script with:
Code: [Select]
sudo /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
but see no output that the script in fact does not work. Other than this he did not mention any problems.

Perhaps he will get back to us and correct me in case he actually is having some trouble.

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline NickF

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 04:06:08 pm »
Hi all

Yes, I may be miss-understanding the OS-Prober, as suggested I was under the impression it could be use 'stand-alone'. The basic problem that started this was that when using Grub-Customizer I suddenly 'lost' the Windows OS from the boot list.

Following the advice above, I have gone for a minimal edit to etc/default/grub. (and place a background image appropriately)
Generally that has worked, but this afternoon I had another occasion when suddenly I could no longer get the Windows (Vista this time) recognised.

I ended up re-installing PM6 - which was probably a heavy-handed solution, but it did get everything going again.
I had tried a purge of grub-pc and grub-common followed by a re-install, but that did not fix it.

It does look as if Grub-Customizer may have been maligned unnecessarily!

I'm sure there must be a better way of returning to the original GRUB state, but I've failed to find it.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:04:45 pm »
I ended up re-installing PM6 [...] I'm sure there must be a better way of returning to the original GRUB state, but I've failed to find it.

When things get tittered up here, I chroot it from a LiveCD.  It's never failed to resurrect a FUBAR system yet.

It's not the easiest way to go, especially if you've never done it before, but it's certainly a "better way" IMO.  ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 07:17:25 pm »
Just did a quick search.

LINK:  http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd

I haven't tried this routine, specifically.  I use a shotgun approach when chrooting, but it looks like the commands should work for your  particular situation.

BTW, I suppose it goes without saying, but you should use the same LiveCD that you used when installing Peppermint - at least use the same Peppermint architecture - same Peppermint version.  Don't use an Ubuntu LiveCD or whatevs.  LoL

Offline NickF

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 11:53:12 am »
Thanks.
I got a bit frightened-off by the complexity of some similar instructions - so reverted to a path I was sure of.
Useful another day, maybe.