Choose style:

Author Topic: NB550D Toshiba HD6250M  (Read 2898 times)

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4,5,6
NB550D Toshiba HD6250M
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:18:11 pm »
My Desktop machine has a Radeon Cedar card that works with hwaccel (hands off) with the default driver.
I am interested in buying a NB550D Amd fusion with HD6250M radeon but noticed HD6250M is not in the Ubuntu 3D fully supported list.
Googling finds there was some issue with the Bluetooth 3 module once.
On my Satellite X205 /PM4/alsa  I got bluetooth working with extra effort.
On my desktop/PM5 using pulse audio and a usb bluetooth  dongle, the job was no effort, more or less  plug and play.
The downside (possibly) with pulseaudio, Is it's constant polling. When sniffing a USB audio device, There is a lot of activity even when the device is idle.

I think the netbook in question was the first of the AMD Fusion processors and was not sold in the US.

TIA

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Re: NB550D Toshiba HD6250M
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:57:21 am »
Sorry I don't have the experience required to answer, but I do have a suggestion.

Why not ask your question on the Ubuntu or Mint forum? Just thinking that there is a larger audience and someone there might know. Not sure if there are many gamers here.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:10:53 am »
It might be worthwhile holding out for, scifidude79.  He's a keen gamer and knows his way around graphics cards and drivers really well.  I'm sure he'll pick up on this thread and at least point you in the right direction ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 11:53:55 am »
You have to take "supported" hardware lists with a grain of salt.  Remember, they can only list what OEMs have submitted to them for testing by their engineers.  Not everything has been tested.  Unfortunately, I don't have a laptop with that processor.  My dad does, but he runs Windows 7, so that's no help.  But, I do have the next processor up in my laptop with the C-60 and HD 6290 graphics and it works fine.  More relevant to your situation, I found an article on PC World about that NB550D Netbook, and somebody mentioned in the comments section gaming on it in Ubuntu 12.10.  So, if they were gaming on it in Ubuntu 12.10, it will probably be fine.

I don't know anything about the Bluetooth or PulseAudio issues.

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 07:09:37 pm »
Thanks for the references, It sounds like they aren't too rare, and could be worth a punt. The 3D gaming isn't so much the issue as the gpu decoding for h264 etc, The difference in cpu useage is quite dramatic, and probably more so on these lower power machines.
I am over the moon with the performance of the standard driver and my desktop machine with a basic Radeon HDMI card, and would tend to go with Radeon in the future.
Admittedly I only have an older/ancient? nvidiaHD/laptop to compare it with, but in PM6 I get window trails when I have a server program running. I haven't investigated further to see if the server is being hungry or if driver settings can be tweaked, but I haven't seen tweaking improve things in the past, I think streams are usually to blame.
Thanks

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 09:23:53 pm »
It's good that 3D gaming isn't a focus, because you're not doing much on a 1 GHz dual core processor with a built in GPU.  Trust me, I know.  ;)  My laptop will play some simple games, but nothing too fancy.  Unfortunately, video quality is a bit lackluster on the C-50 and C-60 chips.  Mine stutters when I try to play HD video, and my dad's with the HD6250 isn't any better.  So, if you want to use it as a video watching machine, you may want to look elsewhere.  And, this is true on Windows 7 also, not just on Linux.  So, it's not even a Linux issue, it's a hardware issue.  I think the main issue with those low end APUs is the processing power and available RAM.

Radeon cards themselves aren't too hateful when it comes to watching videos.  They're known for being somewhat less reliable when it comes to gaming due to poor driver support, but I don't see why that would be an issue for you if you just want to watch HD videos.  However, I'd look for something with more juice than an AMD C-50.

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 07:24:29 pm »
Have you tried connecting the HDMI during HD playback? It seems odd that they could sell an item that doesn't deliver what it's supposed to.
Maybe people have got used to laptops as being substandard.
The NB500D I'm looking at has 2MB memory fitted which would help a little.

Edit: I've read a few more  reviews, and graphics aside, I think the reflective screen with poor viewing angles could be the one reason I would look for something better.
It is a portable device and likely to be used in a car, and I've kicked myself for buying cellphones that cant be read outdoors in the past. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:06:51 pm by piper »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 08:56:42 pm »
Some months back, I tried hooking my laptop up to my TV and so that I could watch Lost in Space on Hulu on the TV.  (not Hulu plus, just regular Hulu)  It couldn't even handle that without stuttering, and LIS isn't even in HD because HD wasn't a thing in the 1960s.  Now, this is on my ASUS 15.6 inch laptop with an AMD C-60 processor with integrated HD6290 graphics, which is almost an identical chip to the C-50 with HD6250 graphics, except it can be turbo charged up to 1.33 GHz, VS the 1.0 GHz that the C-50 has.  My laptop also has 3X the RAM of that netbook.

But, it may be better in that Toshiba Netbook.  I really don't know.  I'm just sharing my experiences with a similar processor.  Netbooks are typically built to do more on less powerful hardware than regular laptops.

Here's a site with a comprehensive review of that netbook:  http://www.trustedreviews.com/toshiba-nb550d-review

I wouldn't really expect Ubuntu to be any better or worse performance wise than Windows 7, something lighter like Peppermint will probably give it a boost in performance.

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 01:57:47 am »
From what I've found, the common dual core is needed to decoded full HD (when there is no gpu decoding), My pentium4 could not do Full HD for example.
But with the gpu decoding cpu useage drops to very low figures, and I would have thought even a 1 Ghz dual core would have room to spare.  It leads me to
think that your video player didn't have vdpau enabled. You need a late vlc, or preferably mpv, maybe mplayer.
I gather vlc always does buffering for filters, and is not as direct as the others.
I think all players can have their config altered to tell them to use vdpau, I think there is vdpau libraries that may or may not need to be installed, I dont think
my last desktop install of PM6 with the radeon needed anything doing on the OS side though.
One review of the NB500D claimed the hard drive access was slow, maybe It is a really slow motherboard.
Windows may be more resource hungry than light linux's but it is strange that it can't do the job.
In Linux you can use vdpauinfo to display the codecs in the gpu, (hopefully means they are active too)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:00:48 am by piper »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 12:14:16 pm »
Well, that example I used was on a website that uses outdated Flash.  So, it's possible it's partly the website's fault.  I'll fire up the laptop here in a bit and see how it does at playing videos on VLC.  I don't remember how that was.  (I always use VLC for offline video playing)

Windows 7 is definitely more resource hungry than something lightweight like Peppermint.  You'll get a boost in performance just by installing it, or any lightweight Linux, instead of Windows.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:16:07 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 06:09:22 pm »
I did some testing on my laptop.  On VLC, it plays videos fine, including with the HDMI port plugged in.  It doesn't do so hot on web videos, though.  YouTube is the worst.  Vimeo played decently.  I remembered what I hate about Hulu on there.  It plays OK, but the video and audio are out of sync, whereas they aren't on my desktop.

Offline piper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 06:21:03 pm »
What does vdpauinfo show? You will probably have to install it first.
On a slower computer mpv is much quicker and lighter on cpu than vlc.
In PM5 my ~/.mpv /config file I have
hwdec=vdpau
hwdec-codecs=h264,vc1,mpeg1video,mpeg2video
I dont think the latter was needed though.
I realise that the hwaccel should and can work in the browser for live media, but it is probably something to try second to just playing a HD movie file.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:33:05 pm by piper »