Choose style:

Author Topic: You know what irks me...  (Read 2080 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
You know what irks me...
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:19:50 pm »
...is when you download a Linux distribution to try out and then you have to hunt down the md5sum.  Is it that hard to put it, oh I don't know, right on the download page?  Maybe even right next to the download links?  I don't think so.

I downloaded the latest OpenMandriva .iso a little while ago and then literally spent 10 minutes searching their site for the md5sum so that I could make sure the download went well.   :-\ I finally had to go to the distro's blog, find the release announcement, which finally told me where I could find the md5sum.  It wasn't even on their site, it was on SourceForge, which I didn't even use to download the .iso because I went the Torrent route.  That's ridiculous.   ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: You know what irks me...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:47:51 pm »
Torrents have built in hash checking ;)

beyond the "is it original" question, if the torrent completed without error it's already been checked for corruption.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 05:51:21 pm »
Well, they should still have the md5sum on the site, you know, for people not using torrents.  Having to find it on SourceForge, which is only one of their three download options, (and a site I personally loathe) is not a good way to run a distro, in my opinion.  Plus, you really have to know where to look for it on SourceForge, it's not something that's obvious.  You click a little button with an exclamation point next to the download link.  If you don't know what that button does, you're screwed.  In contrast, you go to download Peppermint, Mint, the -untus, PCLinuxOS, or a host of others and it's right there next to the download link.  That's convenient.  :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:53:07 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 05:54:19 pm »
Not disagreeing with you mate, even if the only option is torrent it'd be a good idea just for the "is it an original" peace of mind .. but where there's a direct download option it's a necessity.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 05:57:03 pm »
Yeah, I like to have it, even with torrents.  It's like a little reassurance that you've got a good download.   8)  And, yes, definitely a necessity with direct downloads.  I mean, raise your hand if you've never had a bad/corrupt download.   >:(

Interesting side note, I'm running that OpenMandriva Live DVD right now.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 06:07:48 pm »
Anything interesting in it worth consideration ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 06:19:42 pm »
That depends on what you consider interesting.

I like it because it has KDE 4, not Plasma 5.  ;)  I have issues with Plasma 5 crashing on my system.  It's a bit too unstable for me right now.  Other than that, I've always liked Mandriva and I've been thinking of trying OpenMandriva for a while now, so I decided it was time.  Of course, it's .rpm based, so it has different commands and whatnot.  Other than that, I haven't really played with it much, but I did install it.  One thing I don't like about it is that it didn't let me choose where to install the bootloader, so now I have to reinstall GRUB from Peppermint.  ::)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 06:48:54 pm »
Well... I installed my graphics driver on OpenMandriva using the built in method and now it won't boot properly.  So, epic fail.   >:(

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 07:41:28 pm »
Torrents have built in hash checking ;)

beyond the "is it original" question, if the torrent completed without error it's already been checked for corruption.

Wow!  :o  I never knew that!

I have never been able to find the md5sum for Pinguy OS on Pinguy's site --and for that reason have never tried it.  Although I have now lost intererst in exploring Pinguy, I understand very well scifidude79's irritation when he cannot find the md5sum.  I sometimes download by torrent and sometimes do not.  But now I know in what manner I will download a distribution if I ever find myself wanting to explore a distribution that does not display its md5sum.

Thanks for that insight, PCNetSpec, and thanks for bringing up this topic, scifidude79.  ;) 

This little thread will help bring peace of mind to a lot of people who would like to explore other distributions, but have been afraid to do so because they thought they could never verify the integrity of the download.

Thank you,

perknh

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 08:12:42 am »
I never used a (md whatever it is) because I use windows the greatest OS ever made....  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 08:50:08 am »
It is a design flaw / content creation flaw not listing the md5.

I haven't experimented with Mandriva in many years, my first Linux I tried was Mandrake. At this point I did not understand much about Linux so it was a disaster.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 08:54:04 am »
I never used a (md whatever it is) because I use windows the greatest OS ever made....  :)

I never used a (md whatever it is) because I use windows the greatest OS ever made....for the NSA!*  ;D

* I always know there's a man using Linux Mint somewhere nearby when I hear that line in a Linux forum!  ;)

P.S.

And, I have to agree with 10i.  It is a design flaw not listing the md5.  Not list the md5 certainly kept me away from Pinguy.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 11:31:53 am »

http://winmd5.com/

:P