Author Topic: GOOGLE GMAIL ATE MY LINUX: Gobbled email enrages Torvalds by Neil McAllister  (Read 3369 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Artificial Neural Network?  Sound like AI to me. :o

GOOGLE GMAIL ATE MY LINUX: Gobbled email enrages Torvalds

by Neil McAllister for The Register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/17/linus_torvalds_vs_gmail_spam_filter/
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Jeez I would have thought Linus would have had a mailserver on kernel.org rather than relying on gmail  :o
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Jeez I would have thought Linus would have had a mailserver on kernel.org rather than relying on gmail  :o

I bet Hillary could help him set up his own email server.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:13:53 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
I would have thought someone as smart as Linus would know to check what's in his Spam folder from time to time.  Spam filters aren't perfect, they rely on certain key words and phrases and will put stuff that's trying to sell you something in there, whether or not it's a good e-mail. (and sometimes other stuff too) Knowing this, I check my Spam folder when I have stuff in there to make sure nothing good is in there.  Though, admittedly, I'm sure I get a lot less e-mail than he does.  But, the principle remains the same.  Check your Spam folder from time to time!

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Tee Hee
I like this one he tells it how it is...   LOL   :P
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/19/got_bugs_got_anger_just_get_them_out_says_linus_torvalds/

Could he have an element of Asperger's Syndrome?  I guess to a Linuxite, getting the Italian finger from Linus Torvalds would be the equivalent of a practicing Catholic getting personally blessed by the Pope.  On the other hand, I've seen Richard Stallman tear people to shreds with his sharp tongue in a matter of seconds.  If you don't know, and fully understand and appreciate, the differences between the free software movement and open source software, Richard will tear you to shreds in a matter of seconds.  I'm happy, and grateful, for the legal infrastructure Richard Stallman has created for us, but, for me, open source is an easier concept for me to wrap my head around.

Two brilliant eccentrics have given us, and the world, GNU/Linux.  I'm thankful to these two men for doing so.  But, when I have a question concerning anything to do with GNU/Linux, or computing in general, I'd still prefer to come to this forum before going to either one of these two fascinating and brilliant eccentrics.  ;)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
Oh well  :-\ I haven't noticed a rise of false positives in my spam box.

Maybe I am just lucky.
Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Oh well  :-\ I haven't noticed a rise of false positives in my spam box.

Maybe I am just lucky.

Every now and then I get a false positive.  But, then again, I bet I don't receive as much email as Linus Torvalds does.  And, for that, I am very grateful.  :)

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
Email is one thing I will not allow Google to oversee.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Email is one thing I will not allow Google to oversee.

Hi configX,

I understand why you'd feel this way about Gmail.  Problem is, Google's Gmail is such an outstanding product:  Once you get hooked --well, you're hooked!  Yandex Mail is the next best email product I've seen after Gmail.  And, with Yandex, you don't have to worry about the Russians coming and knocking at your door anytime soon.

Google is such a funny company.  On one hand, it does too good of a job of analyzing ALL of our personal and commercial business online, and, on the other hand, its DNS servers are considered some of the freest in the world --even by the WikiLeaks crowd.*

I find it interesting that even Linus Torvald's has to have a Gmail account.  He must like the product a lot.  Crabby as he sounds here (and elsewhere), I'd say he's hooked on Gmail too!  ;D

perknh

* https://wikileaks.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS

Offline configX

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Six
Yeah, I'll admit Gmail is a joy to use for the most part. If you don't mind paying, Fastmail is a good option. I also tend to use ProtonMail more these days as it's encrypted from the get-go.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
GMail is OK, provided I don't have to go to their actual site to get my mail.  When I first signed up for it, GMail was just a simple little mail thing, that was way before Google+, Circles, Android and their generally crappy interface they've gone to for things like composing, contacts, etc.  If I had to put up with that crap on their site, I think I'd be choking back vomit.  But, that's what Thunderbird is for.  ;)

But, then again, I bet I don't receive as much email as Linus Torvalds does.  And, for that, I am very grateful.  :)

Me too.  If I had as much as he does, I'd switch to an unlisted e-mail address.  ;)

Most of the crap I get in my Spam folder is obvious scams.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Yeah, I'll admit Gmail is a joy to use for the most part. If you don't mind paying, Fastmail is a good option. I also tend to use ProtonMail more these days as it's encrypted from the get-go.
Another thing developed at CERN ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Well this thread did get me to reset my two passwords for ProtonMail!  ;)  Now, my question is:  Will I ever use it?  :-\ 

My understanding, however, is that both Gmail and ProtonMail only guarantee end-to-end encryption if the one sending the email is emailing to somebody else using the same email provider.  This would mean that Gmail users could only email to other Gmail users, and ProtonMail users only to other ProtonMail users.  But if one is not doing this (and who does?), all bets are off as for keeping your email private.*

Maybe some of these companies play well together to help keep their users email private with end-to-end encryption, but I'm not certain which companies these would be.  One thing I especially like about ProtonMail is that it claims to not to log its users' activities.  I like that policy very much.  I can't imagine Gmail adopting such a policy any time soon.

* http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/transparency-report-protecting-emails.html

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:36:06 am by perknh »